Portable shooting bench

Laser Man

FNG
I bought this swivel shooting bench at Cabela’s about ten years ago. Since then I’ve modified it several times, You can see I added tires and a handle to pull it around. Put a lighter colored cover on it to eliminate the heat produced by the black vinyl cover. I also mounted an extension to accommodate longer guns. It’s lightweight and pulls quite easily. Recently, I used it in a large prairie dog town, and pulled it about one and one half miles. By the way, I’m 73 years old. One suggestion, use tires that don’t have tubes in them(foam filled). Cactus can ruin a good hunt. Hope this helps. I use this primarily for prairie dog shoots. It works very well.

Attachments

• RIMG2607.JPG
    RIMG2607.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 22
  • RIMG2609.JPG
    RIMG2609.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
L

Laser Man

FNG
I shot prairie dogs this past week in some rather rugged terrain. The bench pulls easier now that I put the puncture proof tires/wheels on the bench. There are 240 fewer prairie dogs today because of the bench and the BCA 17 HMR

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I shot prairie dogs this past week in some rather rugged terrain. The bench pulls easier now that I put the puncture proof tires/wheels on the bench. There are 240 fewer prairie dogs today because of the bench and the BCA 17 HMR

Just out of curiosity, what kind of effrctive range are you getting with that 17HMR?

A friend and I went to S. Dakota this past summer and had a blast for my first time p dog hunting. Unbelievable how much fun that was. But the two and a half cases of 22-250 Hornady V-Max was pretty expensive. I could have bought a new gun for that price.

I'm even kicking around selling the 22-250 and getting a 223 just cuz of ammo prices.

Just curious.

OP
L

Laser Man

FNG
In regard to effective range, I can safely say with a 125 yard zero you can shoot dead on out to about 175 yards. 200 yards with a little elevation adjustment. Granted the 17 HMR doesn’t pack the wallop that the 22-250 does, but the PD is just as dead. Regardless whether you use a shooting bench or just lie on the ground, shoot with or straight into the wind. Just move perpendicular to the wind direction. Now you have about 400 yards of shooting range.

In regard to using a tripod, I’ve tried it. The tripod is not nearly as stable as the shooting bench. It, the bench, weighs about 30 pounds and pulls quite easily. I’m 73, and the last time out shooting, I pulled the bench about 1-1/2 miles. I did ok.