Port Strike

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I was the shop steward/foreman for the company I worked at. When I called the union for a hand, I told them to send me someone who is willing to do as I tell them. When they came out I told them we are a small Co., generally no more then six workers, you have one job, that's to do what I tell you, or drag up. I did get a few calls from the hall asking why I sent them back. I told them because they won't do their job, it's that simple.

*zap*

WKR
I was a shop steward for a construction union long ago in nyc. we had a place everyone would gather at before work and then the guys were scattered around the work site working. I waited for everyone to get working and then went around and took the coffee break order. Went/got that distributed it and then had coffee break...then started taking the lunch order....went/got that and distributed it then took lunch....then stated taking the afternoon break order......never really worked...and that was the standard. The union wanted it that way. But that was before many here were born...I only was with local 104 for a few years.

Some places we worked the neighborhood action groups would bring busloads of people to the site to disrupt work until the company agreed to a put a few of those folks on....mostly they were useless but a few were workers. It was a mason tenders/foundation laborers union so there was no apprenticeship.

Maybe it is different today, maybe better maybe worse.....busloads of migrants could show up demanding to be paid to hold the ground down...