Polaris ranger northstar vs can-am defender limited

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a 21 ranger but looking to upgrade to one with heat and air. Any feedback from anyone who has had experience with both models? Specially looking for cab noise and hvac function. I have had nothing but good things to say about my current ranger but I’m always open for opinions.

Actually picked up a northstar today. Main decision maker for me was my local deal has fantastic service and they are a Polaris dealer. Both machines are fantastic and I’m not sure u can go wrong with either and they def both have their fan boys and pros and con but at the end of the day i think this one is going to suit my needs just fine

We have them both at work. IMO Polaris for quiet and creature comforts, can am if you’re looking for bomb proof. We run them hard and the rangers are at the dealership more often.
Polaris = Chevy
Can Am = Ford
My 2 cents- your mileage may vary

Wife’s family has a few rangers and they have work on them quite often. No experience with the can-am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has a Defender Max Limited...AC will freeze you out heat keeps you plenty warm. He has brought it to our hunting shack in ND ice fishing in the winter and leaves his truck parked. Weather in the teens and he drives it 10+ miles to lakes to fish...no need for gloves or jacket. As far as noise. You can talk at normal conversation levels even at wide open. I've been in louder trucks.

He has had it for 3 years. Zero issues with it and while he takes care of it he uses it to work on his property and drives it like someone would a farm truck (because basically that's what it is just more expensive).

CanAm defender all the way. That’s what I have and love.

I rented a Polaris SxS last year when we were on vacation up in Wyoming and was told people take them up to the mtn top all the time. (Kennady Peak).

The thing had 200 miles on it and was 2 months old. He overheated three times on the way up the mtn. That’s one reason why I don’t like the Polaris brand.

Another reason - buddy has been running CanAm SxS since they came out. The rotax engine is great and reliable.

CanAm defender all the way. That’s what I have and love.

I rented a Polaris SxS last year when we were on vacation up in Wyoming and was told people take them up to the mtn top all the time. (Kennady Peak).

The thing had 200 miles on it and was 2 months old. He overheated three times on the way up the mtn. That’s one reason why I don’t like the Polaris brand.

Another reason - buddy has been running CanAm SxS since they came out. The rotax engine is great and reliable.

Come on now judging all polaris rangers because of your one bad experience is like saying buYing a rifle that doesn't shoot means all rifles made by said company is junk.
I have a 2018 Ranger with 5k trouble free miles on it granted I don't have AC but I do have a heater

Bought a 2013 Ranger 800 from a slimy used car dealer, turned out it was used at the Huntsville prison and sold as excess inventory. Did required maintenance and replaced wheeel bearings, tie rod ends and shocks, suspension bushings and its has been reliable for the last 4 years. Runs up to 11k altitude easily. Neighbor bought a new 570 Crew, loaded the bed with 50 lb bags of deer corn on the lease and it will hardly move. Sold it and bought a used 2018 1000 and the difference is amazing. No issues aside from power on either unit. Are used and abused on his lease

This is a survey of one but the ranch in TX where we hunt every year has both. Can Am has held up much better than the Polaris. I asked the rancher the same question and he concurred the CanAm is better in his opinion.

I have a 23 Northstar and love it so far. Used it out west and all over around home with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I have a 23 defender limited and have friends with the ranger northstars. Both are really close.

Defender - more roomy cab, slightly more comfortable seats, quieter, came with better/bigger tires
Ranger - more power, better creature comforts (ride command), better aftermarket support

Waiting on delivery of my Defender to replace my Ranger. I have always been a Polaris fan, but a lot of recent issues with friends machines has led me to giving CanAm a shot. For what it's worth, the general consensus I've seen is the Defenders are bullet proof machines, I have not had such good luck with Polaris.

Back