Can am defender feedback

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all. I am looking to upgrade my sxs from a Honda pioneer 1000 5 seat to a can am defender. Honda is a great machine, but the noise, the heat, the dust etc are getting to me.
I like the idea of the 6 seat cab, but the machine just seems very low and long to me. Is this a factor in real use, or do those of you with the 6 seat not feel like you have lost off-road capability? The back seats in my pioneer are basically useless for an adult, so I don’t use them. The bed size is reduced from them and the bed is a dust bowl because of all the openings for the doors, seats etc.
Any other feedback on the can am would be welcome. I hunt mostly private ranches, and also do some ranch work with the machine, so I’m not concerned about the width restrictions etc. if I use it on public, it would be jeep trail type stuff, and legally. Rock crawling ability is more important than high speed stuff, and quiet and smooth is number one concern.
thanks

Weldor

WKR
I have the Defender max 10. 3 seater. The long bed is great and huals alot of weight plus my greyhounds.Bought in 2020 run the mtns around the mogollon rim lot of rocks and mud at times. Great machine no issues to report.

IDLassie

FNG
We have a 3 seat 2019 Defender. Wouldn't have a 6 seater.
They all leak dust to some extent.
I don't know if it's quieter than a Honda?
The bed is always dusty.
We have racks so put the packs up in them and leave the bed more or less open.

I've got a '19 defender max, we've taken it some pretty gnarly places, very occasionally we drag frame somewhere, its not enough that I'm planning to lift it, but a lot of guys do bump them up a little. if rock crawling is something that matters to you, ride height might need some tweaking. They're great machines otherwise, if you need to get multiple people around they're tough to beat.

I’m not trying to steer your decision. Just offer a piece of advice from another perspective.

Sports sxs sit higher then any utility design. They come in 4 wheel drive. They ride a million times better. And will go places a utility sxs can’t even think about. They suffer in comparison only in cargo capacity. Plus, if the desire is to get up and go, they’ll do that too.

I reckon what I’m saying is unless you need to haul loads of tools and materials often, the sports models only offer benefits over the utility models.

I’m telling you this from the perspective of being in a similar situation. I ended up buying a rzr and have learned that I made the right decision based on my experiences listed above.

Just something to consider.

Weldor

WKR
Made a ton of aluminum racks for the rzr's and tire carriers. great machines but no room for gear or big game. They are a go fast machine that is for sure and certain.

wyosteve

WKR
Since WV touched on it, I’ll throw in my .02 even though it’s not on a Defender. I had a 2014 CanAm Commander with the same issues, I. e. hot and loud. Sold it last year and got a 2021 Commander. World of difference. They lengthen the wheelbase and moved the engine farther back. Also added some sound deadening material. No longer hot or loud. I’m a happy camper. As mentioned the sport style eats up the bumps better and the Commander has a large tilt bed with accessories available to increase load carrying.

OP
S

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll take a look at the commander. I don’t go fast ever. Maybe 25-30 max, mostly 10-15, so the sport may be wasted on me. I like to take the dog out quail hunting in it, and like the flip up seats.
what type of rack gets the gear out of the bed? a roof rack? I like to remove the roof quite ofter

AZ8

WKR
I’ll chime in. Very satisfied with my Defender. Yeah, it’s a utility SxS, but for my uses, it’s perfect. Most of my time in the machine is during hunting season and trail riding during the summer months. No clearance issues, albeit I have the 3 seater. Can’t speak for the Max.

It’ll get up a go if I wanted, but I guess at 53 years old, I don’t need, nor care to do 50mph down the trails anymore. Haha

Bought it brand new in 2017 with zero problems so far. Just general maintenance and it starts every time and gets me back to camp.

B1BCFBAF-F32C-4C90-A85F-809BFB858CFB.jpeg0A8BEC34-92C3-4DF6-A24F-D7B935C64E44.jpeg