Podcasts, why do you listen

Why do you listen to podcasts?

• Information (cut the BS'ing out completely)

• Entertainment (could care less about information quality)

• Primarily information, but also entertainment (BS'ing is ok, but overall I want information)

• Prmarily entertainment, but also for information (BS'ing is great, just have something useful too)

• What's a podcast?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Forgot to mention, Dan Bongino has a great daily podcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said what's a podcast, cause that was the only answer that indicated you don't listen to podcasts.

If this is supposed to be a survey of people who listen to podcasts, I'll remove it.

It has seemed to me, podcasts are great for advertisers, gets them a very targeted audience. Also, podcasts tend to feed to very specific demographics, I prefer to not fit into anything and don't want things fed to me, if that makes sense.

Much like YouTube, I don't watch hunting content there, I mostly use it to look at equipment, because otherwise there's little information out there.

Last edited:
I use it for background noise when working in my home office , cruising my forums , tying flies, or working on hunting and fishing gear. If something gets my interest up then I pay more attention. I like music as well but sometimes having some guys having a conversation about outdoor things is ok.
Better than some garbage.

Poser

WKR
It has seemed to me, podcasts are great for advertisers, gets them a very targeted audience. Also, podcasts tend to feed to very specific demographics, I prefer to not fit into anything and don't want things fed to me, if that makes sense.
Visiting the Rokslide website or on Tapatalk or similar placed you in that same specific demographic and you are fed ads as a result. In fact, since podcasts episodes don't involve cookies using 3rd party formats, the action os interacting on Rokslide results is much more ad targeting than listening to podcasts.

I just you were referring to the Russian shill otherwise known as Tucker Carlson.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
My commute is 1 hr 20 minutes each way so I have a lot of time in my car. I went from music to books to podcasts. I like interesting people, finding out the truth from people who lived it. Shawn Ryan is my favorite example of this.

The podcast that I have made a part of my life is The Bible in a year with Father Mike Schmitz. I was never very religious, but this has truly changed my life. Father Mike does an amazing job of reading the Bible and explaining it in a relatable way that you can understand. I can't recommend this enough.

Visiting the Rokslide website or on Tapatalk or similar placed you in that same specific demographic and you are fed ads as a result. In fact, since podcasts episodes don't involve cookies using 3rd party formats, the action os interacting on Rokslide results is much more ad targeting than listening to podcasts.

Not entirely, when I visit Shop2Hunt (RS) it's visual and you know what you are getting fed, if you are aware. In audio advertising is worked into the entire format. You often don't perceive the advertising the same way.

I'm speaking to advertising podcasts do versus third party ads.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I said what's a podcast, cause that was the only answer that indicated you don't listen to podcasts.
That was its intended purpose.
If this is supposed to be a survey of people who listen to podcasts, I'll remove it.
No, please leave it.
The below is not an argument that you should listen to podcasts, more a thrust at the general cynicism we have from being "the product" in so many cases.

It depends on the Podcast and how one listens. Text can also be subtle with advertisement. That said, reading can strip out charisma to an extent and tends to be easier to pick apart.

The question really comes down to is someone trying to sell me something for there own benefit or because they truly believe it is best. Example, Form is great at selling Tikkas and 223s, and I actually appreciate it as it has kept me off the "custom" action train and improved my shooting. Of course, perhaps that was all just a long game to make Jake money on RokStoks and bolt knobs. :rolleyes:

Or, I spend my work day trying to "sell" concepts to people, it changes little** for me if they "buy" it, or if they tell me to pound sand. I make the pitch because I believe it is the best course for the person.

** It is rewarding to see people get better, when you go from seeing a person who cannot walk across a room without breathing hard and having to stop and rest to them being able to walk as far as they want, that is rewarding and I would be lying if I said I get nothing from having sold those goods, though my pecuniary interest is unchanged.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve always liked history, anything old - geology, dinosaurs, evolution, first hunters on two feet, first peoples, old west, political history, war history, history of internal workings of companies, old cars, old guns, art, old trades people, biographies, etc. Interviews with people who were actually at historic events has changed my perceptions about many things - the victors write the history books, and many things on paper lose the feel of the event. I do like the trend toward less glorified depictions of history and people - more behind the scenes stuff. Even in western art, many of the guys didn’t give two schitts about the west, but it sold paintings. Biographies tend to be like Hornady pod casts - there’s always an angle that is being marketed, but reading between the lines brings out nuggets of interesting stuff.

Smada962

FNG
I always have to chuckle when someone says they don’t listen because they “have better things to do”. Nobody that I’ve ever known or heard of listens to podcasts instead of doing things, they listen while they are already doing things. For me it’s while driving, or mowing the yard, or while working on something. It’s more so just back ground noise the way a lot of people listen to music. I don’t think anybody just schedules time to sit and do nothing at all while they listen to a podcast. As with so many other things, if you’re not interested that’s your right and it’s totally fine, but saying it’s because you have better things to do is pretty silly.

As most have said, I listen when I’m commuting, sometimes working in the woodshop, and sometimes while rucking or doing steady state cardio. I enjoy learning about science so tune into The Drive and Huberman Lab. I listen Rogan when he has on interesting (to me) guests). Hunting wise I don’t miss a Big Hunt Guys, Hunt Backcountry, or Remi Warren.

Can someone inform me what S2H is?

Great question, and poll. For me, it's all about information - with just enough BSing and rapport to keep it from being dry.

I've stopped listening to specific podcasts because of excessive BSing - don't hit me with your inside jokes, your bro-life BS stories from whatever your field is, or the hacking on each other more than the occasional zinger. If I need to have been listening to you for multiple episodes to enjoy any of that - or understand it - then just piss right off for wasting my time.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
As most have said, I listen when I’m commuting, sometimes working in the woodshop, and sometimes while rucking or doing steady state cardio. I enjoy learning about science so tune into The Drive and Huberman Lab. I listen Rogan when he has on interesting (to me) guests). Hunting wise I don’t miss a Big Hunt Guys, Hunt Backcountry, or Remi Warren.

Can someone inform me what S2H is?
Shoot to Hunt. http://shoot2hunt.com/podcasts/

Jmort1754

WKR
I listen to them for information, I rarely listen to hunting podcasts anymore,

Lately it's been a lot of

Shawn Ryan
Chad Robichaux
A bit of Tucker Carlson (nutty at times)

I listen for information. I started out listening to hunting podcasts and haven't had the stomach for them in the last 5 years or so. It's just the same narcissism regardless of the platform. The most mainstream/popular ones are arguably the worst.

I tried to listen to hunting ones again a year or so back and the final tipping point for me was when the fresh tracks guys had one that basically weighed the pros vs cons of influencers (specifically themselves) on hunting and they concluded (mind you it was the popular host and 2 or 3 millennials that were self-proclaimed adult onset hunters because of social media) that they were great for hunting so they were going to keep on keeping on. The arrogance that came out of that was we recognize we're doing harm but we feel (just ask us) we're also doing good so screw you guys.... was the overall theme. I haven't listened or watched a hunting podcast since.

Back to the original question though at times I suppose you could call my motive for listening "entertainment" but the underlying reason always has been to garner information.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I'm not interested in listening to a couple guys BS-ing and then calling it gospel.

Example - I been hunting this place for 25 yrs, we do okay. Some "entertainer/influencer" shows up and gets a following - those guys follow this dude around like lemmings. Whatever he says they do or say. Like they lost their ability to think for themselves. Comical. It is a duck marsh, go shoot some ducks...