Plumbing Apprentice?

Jon Boy

WKR
I heard Montana just reduced their apprenticeship to 3 years… I hear you mention Montana in your first post. Making journeymen wages by the time your 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I'd add on the residential side, be careful cranking up a service call business. It's easy entry because of the limited tools and skills needed. You ride around all day hitting folks up for $125 a pop, but at the end of the day you're not making much and running around all over or back and forth to supply houses.

Most remodeling plumbers that work alone have 1-3 contractors that they work for and it is not practical to take other jobs because you'll be replaced if you get tied up on other jobs.

For new construction residential plumbing you need to be a well-rounded expert and dabble in other trades and have at least 1 great helper.

Also, if you work alone, develop a relationship with 1-2 companies that have long auger capabilities and bring them in as needed. It's not worth trying to get all that gear going. Sub it out and focus on all the other work that will need to be done.

It seems like a lot of new business owners get tied up and distracted on tangents with the minutia of running a business, when all the public wants you to be a is a good plumber.

Erict

WKR
Whenever I hear someone considering the construction trades I encourage them to consider getting their training from the military. I did 29 years in the USAF Reserves after 4 years active duty. All of my Reserve time in a civil engineer unit as a heavy equipment operator, but there were also most of the other construction trades in my units - Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, Surveyers, Structural, Pesticides. We had plenty of young troops go to basic training, then to technical training school to learn their trade, then they were committed to the "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" training. Technical school can fulfill many of the apprentice requirements and there was plenty of civilian businesses looking for that kind of person to begin work with them. The vast majority of our troops did the same job in the military as their "civilian" jobs.

Yes, it's the military and requires commitment, but the skills and experience were outstanding, you got paid to attend training and if you do it long enough you get a pension at the end. It's not for everyone, but always something to consider (I see there is the possibility of enlisting in USAF Reserve up to age 42!).

Good luck.

Oregon

WKR
My brother in law became a plumber apprentice at age 38. He was working at the local paper mill when they shut it down.
He went on and bought his bosses business after he retired. Bro in law 61 now and planning on retiring next year filthy rich.
He is the only plumber in a town of 3000 people. He's the perfect plumber though. 5' 5" and 150#s. Stays as busy as he wants. Almost all residential "my toilets broke" "my sink clogged up" "my water heater don't heat water" He probably makes $1000 a day.

TaperPin

WKR
As a career remodeler with some time doing new custom homes I can say there is a huge difference in pay and working conditions with different types of plumbers. I’ve been around about 10 plumbers long enough to know how their businesses work and where their money comes from. There are pockets of money for apprentices and journeymen that vary.

My advice is find a one man shop that will let you help part time to build up your apprenticeship hours - many experienced guys would prefer someone a little older rather than a kid right out of school. They also know it’s hard to work for nothing. You will get paid based on how productive and knowledgeable you are. The kid that only learns the bare minimum to get by will never make as much as the apprentice that knows enough to be sent on simple jobs by himself. Many plumbers on the remodeling side have started out as part time apprentices.

Stay away from production plumbers working on new construction. This is just a mindless grind with half ass coworkers and low pay.

The nicer the houses, the better the plumber and his helpers need to be, and not everyone is detail oriented or otherwise cut out for it.

The guys I’ve been around make very good money in nicer remodels, custom homes, more technical remodels, and service calls for nicer than average neighborhoods. Nicer than average historical remodels and additions requires more skills than an average plumber has, and pays well - nothing is easy and solutions require a lot of planning and thought. New construction plumbers usually aren’t cut out for it.

The other place you want to look into is a union shop that does a lot of commercial. You’re at more of a disadvantage because guys younger than you will be in charge and seniority is based as much on time as anything else, but it can be the best paying.

In general there is more money in the trades for positions that require more thought and are more technical, but I have a few friends that are quick, very quick, and they love choreographing their movements to out compete everyone else. This personality type can struggle with a lot of details, and makes more money in a place that rewards high production like piecework.

One basic hot water heater replacement will more or less cover all your overhead for a week. Upselling an expensive tankless and a lot of new gas and water line might cover your overhead for a month.

Only my hvac contractor made more money on remodels in the historic district.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I've been considering the last couple years about making a career change. I really want to do an electrician apprenticeship, but I'm getting up there in age, 38. I've had several people tell me I'm not too old, but I do feel like it sometimes. The worst part is I'd take a 40-50% pay cut to go from my current job to being an apprentice. It would definitely pay off in the long run though. I'm close to maxed out in my current job.

I've been considering the last couple years about making a career change. I really want to do an electrician apprenticeship, but I'm getting up there in age, 38. I've had several people tell me I'm not too old, but I do feel like it sometimes. The worst part is I'd take a 40-50% pay cut to go from my current job to being an apprentice. It would definitely pay off in the long run though. I'm close to maxed out in my current job.
My middle daughter is a 3rd year apprentice. She is in a union shop doing new /remodel industrial power. They have more work than they know what to do with. I've been trying to talk her into going into the controls side of things.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
My middle daughter is a 3rd year apprentice. She is in a union shop doing new /remodel industrial power. They have more work than they know what to do with. I've been trying to talk her into going into the controls side of things.
I've researched the hell out of the trades the last few years. Also strongly considered plumbing. The future prospects are incredible. That's why I'm so hell bent on doing it. It'd likely be the last career I ever have and should carry me through to retirement.

I've researched the hell out of the trades the last few years. Also strongly considered plumbing. The future prospects are incredible. That's why I'm so hell bent on doing it. It'd likely be the last career I ever have and should carry me through to retirement.
I'm sure that you've noticed how grey the hair is in all trades. IMO, we are 5-7 years away from a train wreck with retirements and no one in the dugouts to replace them.

hunterjmj

WKR
I went to hvac school at 30. I framed houses up to that point and needed something new that paid better. It took me 4 years to complete since I worked during the day and took the classes they offered at night. I worked residential hvac while I went to school and although the pay sucked at first it has payed off. I made the switch to commercial refrigeration after I graduated and couldn't be happier 15 years later.

27 is not to old and the longer you put it off the tougher it'll be to make the switch. You don't want to turn 50 and regret not doing what your gut is telling you.

Im sure it's the same in plumbing but each industry is always changing and keeping up with the technology is important to stay on top of your game.

FYI, I'll be encouraging my girls to get into the trades and not college.

Good luck.

Wrench

WKR
Our controls techs make 135k with zero OT figured in. It's a great choice.

Axlrod

WKR
I heard Montana just reduced their apprenticeship to 3 years… I hear you mention Montana in your first post. Making journeymen wages by the time your 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's 5 years nation wide for union plumbers/electricians. Federal rules.

OP: if you want PM me and I can get you a contact for the union apprenticeship program in MT.
Right now they are looking for people in MT, and N. Dakota is too.

There is a big demand at Big Sky, and you can make way above apprentice wages, plus they are covering some housing and travel costs.

I wouldn't let your age detour you from joining the trades. I see it every day, the slightly older ones, that make a career change have some direction and drive. They have experienced life outside of high school and are excited for the opportunity. Contractors call back after a few weeks and ask where we found this apprentice and tell us they wished they could hire more like them. If you really want it, you'll look back in a few years and wonder why you didn't make the move sooner.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure that you've noticed how grey the hair is in all trades. IMO, we are 5-7 years away from a train wreck with retirements and no one in the dugouts to replace them.
I'm aware of that. I keep seeing a stat thrown around where it's something like for every 5 tradesmen that age out, there's only one person coming in to replace them.

FLS

WKR
An older mature apprentice with responsibilities is just what employers want. They have to be at work every day due to responsibilities. Kids (anyone under 30 and unmarried) don’t. Show up on time , sober, stay off your phone, and soak everything up like a sponge and you will advance as fast as you abilities will allow.

Your not to old. I am 44 and going into my last semester of Nursing School. I kind of wish I had gone the trades route now. Change will come with some pain. So have a talk with your wife and know that there may be some rough times, but it will be worth it in the end. These days there is no real reason to stay tied to a job that you are not liking. There are openings everywhere if you are willing to put the work in and are a good employee.

My neighbor is a plumber and is in his early 30s, I think. He is doing very well for himself and family. His wife does not work and stays home with the kid. He has the toys he wants and will have a modest house paid off in a few years, ahead of his mortgage. Im pretty sure he is only working 4 days a week now and doing some side stuff for people he knows.