Please recommend a mid-tier backcountry/solo deer hunting rifle

woods89

WKR
Don't disagree and the same can be said for the rifle OP already has. Inside 500 with good marksmanship there is nothing a creed can do that -06 can't already do.
No argument, except that spotting shots will be easier, and most people are going to shoot a rifle with 6.5 Creedmoor level recoil more than a field weight -06.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. That is the one I may pull the trigger and the price is right at $756. But why KRG brovo chassis? to change off the stock?
Ergonomics, the adjustability of the stock makes it easier to fit to your body and the shape makes it easier to control recoil.

It’s also more rigid than a factory tikka stock meaning that positional shooting will not cause the poi shift that’s possible with the factory stock.

The factory stock isn’t all that bad either just make sure to get a vertical grip for it.

Euro optic is a good site, if you qualify for their vip pricing it’s even better

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't disagree and the same can be said for the rifle OP already has. Inside 500 with good marksmanship there is nothing a creed can do that -06 can't already do.

SWFA
One thing he mentions is hunting solo, in that case the difference in caliber is the difference in seeing what happened when you shot vs not.

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG
I am about to buy Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor SS SYN, and research on the ammo. I could only find very few where it sells at@50? This is even more expensive than 30-06. Anyone gives a pointer for chearper 65. CM ammo?

Lawnboi

WKR
I am about to buy Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor SS SYN, and research on the ammo. I could only find very few where it sells at@50? This is even more expensive than 30-06. Anyone gives a pointer for chearper 65. CM ammo?

They have more than that flavor too

Locally this stuff is around 38 a box right now.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
That Savage 110 is a great rifle, It will definitely do everything you need it too. No need to spend money on new, as someone else has stated, spend the money on ammunition and range time. Personally like to use 165-168gr projectiles in mine, a bit heavier than 150gr, and lighter than 180gr bullets. For me, that's a sweet spot for 30-06. Good luck.

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG
Just some update: I put in an order for Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor SS SYN. My plan is to mount my existing Viper 4-16x50 scope (and upgrade to a nicer and lighter scope later on) on it. Here is another question. What mounting rail would you recommend? The current rings on savage 110 is a dovetail type. Please also recommend if my current scope rings won't work. Thanks again sliders!

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG
Sportsmatch TO84 if you can find them. Fits to the factory tikka rail/dovetail and has a recoil pin.
This one is hard to find with a quick search. :(
What other 30mm rings working on the Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless steel SYN? I probably need a mid profile rings due to the 50 lens, right?

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG

They have more than that flavor too

Locally this stuff is around 38 a box right now.
I found a local shop with $29 price on (Aguila 140gr)

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
There
This one is hard to find with a quick search. :(
What other 30mm rings working on the Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless steel SYN? I probably need a mid profile rings due to the 50 lens, right?
There are Burris tikka rings that fit the factory rail and have a recoil pin as well, but I haven’t seen much feedback about them and everyone on here seems to be high on the Sportsmatch so I’ve been holding out to find a set myself.

Lawnboi

WKR
I found a local shop with $29 price on (Aguila 140gr)
Not sure how that stuff will shoot but might be okay for practice. Hornady in the creedmoor is kind of thee round. If a 6.5 creedmoor won’t shoot factory Hornady 140, 143 or 147 well the barrel is probably crap.

Berger ammo is the best Iv shot out of mine. Used to be 28 bucks a box. You get Lapua brass that you can likely sell the brass once you shoot it for 75 cents a pop. Even the Hornady once fired out of a bolt gun you can likely sell the brass for 50 cents a piece

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG
Not sure how that stuff will shoot but might be okay for practice. Hornady in the creedmoor is kind of thee round. If a 6.5 creedmoor won’t shoot factory Hornady 140, 143 or 147 well the barrel is probably crap.

Berger ammo is the best Iv shot out of mine. Used to be 28 bucks a box. You get Lapua brass that you can likely sell the brass once you shoot it for 75 cents a pop. Even the Hornady once fired out of a bolt gun you can likely sell the brass for 50 cents a piece
I will keep an eye on Hornady 140, 143 or 147. I only bought 4 box of aguila. So just for pratice now.

OP
I

ihuntsolo

FNG
Now about a new scope for Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor. How about the

Zeiss Conquest V4 Rifle Scope - 4-16x44mm​

which has a deal at Cabelas right now? Any other recommendation on a lighter reliable scope?

Deywalker

FNG
I would avoid Talley light weight rings, I have not had any break on me but they aren't known for being very durable.
Now about a new scope for Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor. How about the

Zeiss Conquest V4 Rifle Scope - 4-16x44mm​

which has a deal at Cabelas right now? Any other recommendation on a lighter reliable scope?
As far as scopes that are likely to be more reliable and lighter than that Zeiss are the SWFA 6x,10x, 3-9, and the NXS 2.5-10/SHV 3-10. If you're willing to get a scope 1.4 ounces heavier the SWFA 3-15 is also an option.

Now I plan to practice more and hunt this late season around Idaho. It will be solo/backcountry mule deer hunting (possibly take on elk in a couple of years).
HI OP...were you able to go mule deer hunting this year? If so, what did you think about your new setup?