Please help me choose a tent

pshoot

FNG
Not a fair weather shelter. I want something freestanding. A trekking pole tent does not work for me, and I don’t really like the idea of a semi-freestanding like a Nemo hornet or BA fly creek. I am undecided between a 1p and 2p.

TShunts

FNG
I’ve personally ran the Kuiu Summit Refuge on multiple hunts, Used in Alaska twice and in Colorado a fair amount. Two pole design, and for the weight it was roomy. I decided to go with the Summit Star 1p from Kuiu for my ultralight setup and will take it spring bear hunting. Sold my Summit Refuge and bought a peax solitude tipi with a stove to hopefully have a better option for drying clothes this year. I hope this helps!

bluekiss

FNG
Big Agnes, rei brand, tarptent, kuiu, marmot, msr. Tons of good stuff out there. I've run a tarptent double rainbow for about 5 years.

gostovp

WKR
If you want freestanding I would say BA Copper Spur or Nemo Dragonfly, which are true freestanding. The TarpTent Double Rainbow can also be made freestanding but you need trekking poles.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the hunt for my new shelter this year as well. I've been trying little bit of everything over the last few years. All I hunt is Alaska. The only thing I would say is definitely get the 2 man. I ran the solo person Hilleberg Akto last year and it was fantastic. The only downside I had was I wanted more space to get into my tent and be away from my sleeping area while being soaking wet. Granted I tend to run my tents floorless if it isn't a winter hunt. The 2 man also gives you the space in case something happens and you need to give shelter to a hunting partner in an emergency

Depending on the weather, (for freestanding) I prefer the Kuiu Mountain Star or the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2.

I actually have a complete Copper Spur setup in the classifieds right now... I just can't keep every tent I try, LOL.

Peregrine

FNG
I like the REI branded tents, just find one the right size to weight ratio for you and they have a rock solid return policy.

Look at the big Agnes copper hotel ul2. Sleeps 2 comfortably and has a huge vestibule for boots, packs and rifles. Just over 3lbs all in

Gapmaster

WKR
Tarptent has some good lightweight options. I’ve used the MomentDW 1p tent for the past 3-4 years. It takes some learning to get it just right but it’s super lightweight, packs down small, and has a very small footprint. An elk bed or the uphill side of a tree is often plenty of room. Plus Tarptent has been really helpful on customer service stuff. Highly recommend.