Plastic Sled for backcountry use

I built mine last year, strictly for winter camping excursions up in Washington State. I used a jet sled from Cabelas. It comes with a cordage piece, but wasn't going to do what I needed so cut it and changed it up. The jet sled is actually designed for waterfowl hunting, but it has an angled front and built in runners along the bottom. It is also about 18" deep so I don't have to worry about snow getting into my gear or it toppling over very easy. I have pulled 100-200lb loads in it fairly easy with a set of snow shoes in the back country. Up and down hill are easy and the attachment point was easy. I ordered it from Kifaru and attached it to the front of the sled. I added a couple of tie down points on each side and a set of hooks to hold my bow or a rifle or even a small shovel. I think I spent less that $100 on this system and it works extremely well. Unlike Larry's, I can't roll it up an carry it though, but I do have a nice table once I am in camp.....

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And also, no sled system has ever been ideal for me. The version I pulled was #3 for the year and it still got a A- for delivery. The minus was the semi-right angle that forms at the fore right and left corners. The roll-away sled designs have to have a cutaway in those corners to relieve the bend stress at those points, which opens the fold appropriately but leaves a bit of shovel effect when the corners strike a tussock or rock. Whereas a molded sled has worked out the corners to be rounded, thus...no digging in like a mutherf&*^%$# everytime you hit a 10" tussock.

In the big picture, I'll use these sleds again, and probably make 6-10 more for my clients...because they work like a charm in the right scenario. The key is: Dont use a sled where it dont belong, so due diligence with terrain ID is cirtical.

When in doubt, pack it out!

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
last one...enjoy

[video=youtube;C3bkunodfwY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3bkunodfwY[/video]