Do you have experience with a sled for hauling out game?

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it. It's been a very long time ago. You need to be careful. You need to know the ground under you. I've ridden an elk laiden sled down hill while riding it, digging my heels in to keep control, over snow. In another area I went rode it downhill ovrr dead fall; if I put a foot down I could have broken a leg. Any steep downhill, the sled should be roped down, letting gravity do its job.

I would not buy a sled until I got to see the country and was pretty sure I'd use it, as there are plenty if areas that would be unusable or simply much to dangerous.
Thanks for the word of caution. That all makes sense. I could see a sled becoming dangerous without some thoughtfulness.

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
Well quite frankly the perspective of someone that has never seen a sled used is pretty worthless!
Between me and my hunting buddies we have taken out numerous elk & deer. Plus 1 moose and a whole 183" Bighorn, mostly on roll up sleds, with a few on ice fishing sleds. The key is to have grommets along each side, so you can lace rope back and forth to keep the load on the sled.
On side hills and steep down hill, put a guy on a rope on the back, to steer and slow it down.
They work well on snow and wet ground, but I have used them on dry ground as well.

Here is the sheep. It was 2.5 miles up/down/sidehill no flat ground. No snow, but rained all day.
Glad to see a guy that has done it several times and likes it. Sounds like you might generally have multiple guys to help guide it down or share the load? I plan to have a buddy with me so that could be a plus.

mtnbound

WKR
I have a middle of November elk tag in Colorado in a unit that very well could get some snow. Peak elevations are in the 13,000 feet in the unit. I am wanting to get feedback from people that have used some sort of sled to haul out meat. This unit is new to me so I can't exactly describe the vegetation or terrain but I am pretty confident that I will be hauling the meat down hill. Obviously there will be ups and downs for the literal folks but overall I expect to be loosing elevation. I would plan to just pack out the elk if there isn't snow but if there is a layer of snow what can you tell me about the use of either one of these two types of sleds?

1. Do you mainly just use it for a flat surface or down hill? How is it pulling up a hill compared to carrying it out in the snow?
2. How well do they actually work? I see pictures of guys with whole elk.
3. When going down hill can you basically guide it down the mountain from behind?
4. Any issues with either of these options braking or giving out on a single pack out over mostly snow?
5. Any good suggestions on how to use them? It appears some guys tie directly to the sled and others to the meat in the sled.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

View attachment 778373

View attachment 778363
I currently have both styles and have used both styles. The rollup one is probably my least favorite one, as it tends to roll and dig into the snow, depending on the load. I found it was best to use it with boned-out animals compared to whole animals. The rigid one I use is an ice fishing style, so it's taller and has runners that help it track behind me better than the roll-up one. It can haul boned-out or whole animals. Depending on the style, you may have to rig up some type of lashing system to secure the load, but you can find them with holes already in them.
Going downhill, I get behind the sled and act as a break. I also will rig a second rope to the front to help guide the nose better.
Sidehill tends to be the most difficult to use, especially the roll-up style. I have found that the ice fishing style with the runners helps keep it tracking behind me. I prefer to go straight up or down with the sled, but sidehill is doable. If you have two people, sidehill is much easier, with one in front and one in back.
If you stop and take a break, anchor/tie it off the sled on any slope, as it can slide once removed from your person. I have a second rope already rigged to the sled for this purpose.
You will need snowshoes in deeper snow, as you will post-hole pretty badly dragging them. In hard snow, I use some micro-spikes for traction and braking.
I have used both styles of sleds with a technical rope setup and a rope winch system.
I always keep a rigid sled in my truck because I have found them so valuable.

Axlrod

WKR
Glad to see a guy that has done it several times and likes it. Sounds like you might generally have multiple guys to help guide it down or share the load? I plan to have a buddy with me so that could be a plus.
Most of the time it is 2 or 3 people. But I have taken several boned out deer and a boned out elk by myself. Every time there was snow.

Deadfall and large rocks cause the most problems, but I have found you can get your game out with less trips with a sled.

Also spending the time to lace your game bags down tight to the sled, will save you lots of time when it tips over.

On the Jet sled, I screwed a couple strips of aluminium bar stock on the runners. It glides easier, and protects the sled. I drilled holes down the sides of the sled, and use 3 ratchet straps criss crossed to secure the game bags. I also put my pack on top of the meat, it's a little easier to drag without a pack on your back.

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the time it is 2 or 3 people. But I have taken several boned out deer and a boned out elk by myself. Every time there was snow.

Deadfall and large rocks cause the most problems, but I have found you can get your game out with less trips with a sled.

Also spending the time to lace your game bags down tight to the sled, will save you lots of time when it tips over.

On the Jet sled, I screwed a couple strips of aluminium bar stock on the runners. It glides easier, and protects the sled. I drilled holes down the sides of the sled, and use 3 ratchet straps criss crossed to secure the game bags. I also put my pack on top of the meat, it's a little easier to drag without a pack on your back.
Great insight! Thanks for the several nuggets of advice.

OP
Hunter26

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have both styles and have used both styles. The rollup one is probably my least favorite one, as it tends to roll and dig into the snow, depending on the load. I found it was best to use it with boned-out animals compared to whole animals. The rigid one I use is an ice fishing style, so it's taller and has runners that help it track behind me better than the roll-up one. It can haul boned-out or whole animals. Depending on the style, you may have to rig up some type of lashing system to secure the load, but you can find them with holes already in them.
Going downhill, I get behind the sled and act as a break. I also will rig a second rope to the front to help guide the nose better.
Sidehill tends to be the most difficult to use, especially the roll-up style. I have found that the ice fishing style with the runners helps keep it tracking behind me. I prefer to go straight up or down with the sled, but sidehill is doable. If you have two people, sidehill is much easier, with one in front and one in back.
If you stop and take a break, anchor/tie it off the sled on any slope, as it can slide once removed from your person. I have a second rope already rigged to the sled for this purpose.
You will need snowshoes in deeper snow, as you will post-hole pretty badly dragging them. In hard snow, I use some micro-spikes for traction and braking.
I have used both styles of sleds with a technical rope setup and a rope winch system.
I always keep a rigid sled in my truck because I have found them so valuable.
Looks like great advice! Snowshoes have been something I am really considering because you just never know what the weather will do. Sounds like the system you have rigged up with the ropes makes a lot of sense.

I have used snowshoes one time and I don't know if I didn't get big enough ones but I felt like I sunk just as bad as I would have without them. Then I ended up not just pulling my foot out of a hole but a snowshoe as well that caught a bunch of weight every time I lifted my foot to step. If I remember correctly it was probably about 18" of snow and a lot of it was fresh powder. Any recommendations on snowshoes and tips or tricks?