Plastic Sled for backcountry use

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know it's been done and perfected by folks who have a lot more experience with sleds than me, but I've never found the perfect design for my specific function.

I've been working on a roll-away sled and harness that allows me the versatility of dragging 100+ lbs long distances and then floating rivers for big game. The problem with other sled designs is they become functionally useless and in the way when not in use.

Here's a concept that has drastically improved my field performance when dragging long distances to reach a destination, and then rolls away and becomes less a burden for transport on small inflatable boats.

Made of HDPE instead of UHMW plastic due to lower cost and availability of thinner 1/16" sheets to work with. While UHMW has a lower coefficient of friction, its cost is more than triple that of HDPE.

The finished sled design is 20" wide X 58" long X 1/16" thick with 8" sidewalls and 10" front and back panels. When rolled away for transport or storage, the dimensions are 6" diam X 36" long.

The harness offers three anchor points to the sled and the 1/2" SCH40 pvc pulk poles add tremendous control when negotiating rugged terrain.

Let me know if you have any questions, maybe I can help you avoid the cost of trial and error.

larry

[video=youtube;MVCLzh1UUuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCLzh1UUuY[/video]

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
What is the weight of the sled and associated straps/fittings? I love the idea, just wondering if I room in my weight allowance. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

WKR
The PVC poles, do they support the full weight or is there a cord through them for the belt clips. Do they collapse down with a joint?

Years ago when I skiied I built my own polk for dragging the kid behind me in a sled. Very similar system. I made the poles out of two different schedules of PVC so that one fit inside the other and became adjustable for length. I don't think the lighter PVC would survive a raft drag load without internal support.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another great video Larry! I was super impressed with how well your sled worked in practice, and find the idea really intriguing. I know I could drag more than I can carry, so when terrain allows it might be a great option. Look forward to your reports after more use this fall!

HOPTOAD

FNG
I have been wondering about the sled option as well, wonder if they would be allowed in designated wilderness areas?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Larry was thinking about this idea the other day for my up coming caribou hunt on the slope. Let me know if you need additional testers the first week of September. Slick setup for sure on open terrain

Mike7

WKR
Larry, that is very interesting and ingenius. Here we don't have the open boggy country, but I could see something like that being helpful in the snow where a guy needed the option of rolling the sled up to get through a densely treed area with blowdowns. I wonder how the thinner plastic would do in somewhat soft snow with heavier weights like meat on it?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's a game changer for the types of access I'm challenged by. Wilderness Use no problem...non-motorized and perfectly legal.

The pulk poles are SCH40 1/2" PVC with para cord running through the center. The poles are jointed by couplings at 36". Each pole is 72" long assembled.

The sled weight with the harness, the poles, and strapping is about 10-lbs. Negligible weight factor IMO because I'll be dragging it anyway, then transporting on a small raft.

It glides well over snow and ice, as well as moist surfaces. Great over tundra especially when wet from fog or dew. Fantastic over bogs with standing water because the unit floats with Drybags loaded aboard.

I've got another video to prep that show how to make this sled DIY style, as well as photos for discussion to breakdown the whole shittin' kit.

I'll probably be occupied this weekend but next week I'll get some fresh stuff on this thread.

LB

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Idea we have used the plastic kids bob sleds and they work well. Hows the bottom holding up? We always wear holes in ours. We thought about making one out of some sort of teflon sheeting that might hold up better.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, the bottom is getting scratched up, but plastic is plastic. My tests with the UHMW plastic fares better than the HDPE. The UHMW is self-lubricating and is more durable, as well as expensive as hell. For the abuse a sled takes, I feel more comfy just using an HDPE material until is wears out and then replace it...for the average user we're talking seasons upon seasons of use before that is required.

My whole interest in sleds has resulted from using those kid sleds and having to stack my gear too high which compromises the rigs CG and topples over more times than it stays upright on unfavorable terrain. So...the quest to build a longer more narrow sled design that displaces loads and lowers CG. For a sled like this, 58-60" lengths work well with a 20" width and higher sidewalls to contain all yo shiz in a tight bundle.

BTW, the HDPE and UHMW plastics are what cutting boards are made of, which is what many of us know as teflon-plastics.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Back in the day, we combat medics used litter poles with canvas stretchers to evac casualties off the line of fire...and by the time the Iraqi wars kicked off the transition to SKED and MED Sleds were being implemented, which were amazingly proficient for dragging a wounded soldier over ground quickly. My design is based on the same concept of other sleds already on the market, I just tweaked mine for a typical backcountry load of meat and/or gear and raft. The harness system is where the unit really comes to life...

HOPTOAD

FNG
Sorry for the mixup, I just figured since I cant use a deer cart (no wheeled vehicle) that this may be an issue as well. Doesnt sound like it will be though, great idea!

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here ya go guys. I built two of those sleds after I worked out the design kinks. Finished product weighs 11.4 lbs with the sled, harness, and all the webbing support.

We got dropped off on the south side of the Continental Divide in GMU 23, then hiked north over the Divide into GMU 26A. From there we floated 250 miles. 2 guys, 14-day gear list, one PR49 and one Legend.

Epic weather and high water. Just getting there was the best 24 hours we had for 2 weeks.

The only regret was that I lost two cameras in the cold rain and river conditions. Drop them into the bath like wet soap. Hours of critical footage was lost...so, i'll post what I have when i have it done.

Here's the starter, enjoy when you have 5 minutes to kill.

LB

[video=youtube;yh6qxCyKBP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6qxCyKBP8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks slick Larry. Having never used a sled could you do a short over view of the pro and con vs reg pack. Thanks for the video as always top notch

colonel00

WKR
Looks great Larry. I've been debating the sled idea for a bison hunt this December in Wyoming. You are more than welcome to come down for some field testing to see how it fairs.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pros and cons are almost equal, IMO. If I've got to negotiate rugged terrain with elevation gain, I prefer the backpack and multiple trips. If I have to portage miles over tundra, the sled without a doubt.

The question is energy expenditure, so can you afford to triple your consumption with 2-3 round trips with a backpack? How much energy will it take to drag 100-lbs (or more) over a given distance, and what does that terrain look and feel like. In wet grassy tundra or boggy open country, i'll take a sled. If rugged or undulating with drastic terrain features...backpack.

You kind of have to suit your use of a sled to specifics of your adventure.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One more video

[video=youtube;YRRsVaH41nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRRsVaH41nk[/video]

Some cons that Larry didn't mention is pulks don't side hill very well, they want to follow gravity. As long as the terrain is fairly flat or you go straight or down a hill then you are fine. Winter pulk pullers that expect lots of side hills use fins, but this isn't feasible in the terrain Larry uses his.

In the cold the schd 40 tubing can snap. skipulk.com sells fiberglass poles that can fold in half for stowage, but they are expensive. Some kids in our troop go up to schd 80 tubing, it's a little heavier, but it's much tougher. I have seen the 40's break, but never 80 or fiberglass.

Another one is if you have lot's of twisty turns to make, it will put a damper on your day and don't fall while harnessed in, it's not pleasant for the victim, however bystanders think it's pretty hilarious. :)

I agree with Larry though, I would rather pull one load on a pulk than do 2 or 3 trips with a pack as long as the terrain is suitable for it.