Planning my first elk hunt (Colorado)

Glad everything is working out even though it has been a bit of a hassle. Keep an eye on the weather as it has been ridiculously nice/hot lately. We are getting very light or non-existent afternoon showers and it's been in the 90s in Denver. I was up at 11,500 this weekend and it was well into the 60s during the day and only mid 40s at night. I suggest using noaa.gov, searching for a town near your planned hunting area and then finding your exact hunting area on the map and clicking on it. This should give you an okay forecast for the area, although precipitation predictions in the mountains are a shot in the dark. You will probably get afternoon storms at least half of the days, and probably one full day of rain at some point.

Which unit did you decide to shoot for?

Glad everything is working out even though it has been a bit of a hassle. Keep an eye on the weather as it has been ridiculously nice/hot lately. We are getting very light or non-existent afternoon showers and it's been in the 90s in Denver. I was up at 11,500 this weekend and it was well into the 60s during the day and only mid 40s at night. I suggest using noaa.gov, searching for a town near your planned hunting area and then finding your exact hunting area on the map and clicking on it. This should give you an okay forecast for the area, although precipitation predictions in the mountains are a shot in the dark. You will probably get afternoon storms at least half of the days, and probably one full day of rain at some point.

Which unit did you decide to shoot for?
Thanks for the weather tips. I'll be sure to do that. I read someone else's post that they had their wife text then the weather forecast everyday. Probably not necessary but it will give my wife something to do.

We're hunting unit is 15. I've got an exact place in mind on where to start and also a few backup plans within that unit.

Thanks for the weather tips. I'll be sure to do that. I read someone else's post that they had their wife text then the weather forecast everyday. Probably not necessary but it will give my wife something to do.

We're hunting unit is 15. I've got an exact place in mind on where to start and also a few backup plans within that unit.

Sweet. I hunt 131 right on the other side of the highway out at Oak Creek. I'll be up there for muzzleloader (12-20). If you need a processor there is no better than Steamboat Meat and Seafood, but they get very busy and you may end up having to pay to have it shipped. Weather forecast every day can be helpful, but it's such a crap shoot up there anyways that it may not be worth it. I only really use it for general temps to expect cause you can select a square km where you will be and it will give you an adjusted prediction for the altitude you will be at. The predictions for this past weekend had chances of rain every day and a high probability on Sun, however we never saw any rain at all.

Hopefully you don't put to much pressure on yourself my man. I've also been following this all year and wish you the best of luck.

Good luck Finch- I too have been following this thread/ you all year. Enjoy every second, even the miserable ones and good luck! I hope you connect on one. Look forward to hearing the post hunt stories.

Good luck Donnie, I'm rooting for ya Buddy. I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Trophy and scenery Pic's

Dave

Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes.

My bow is dialed in to 60 yards, food is made and separated out, the wives have all the pertinent info....just waiting on morning to get here. Hopefully we will make it half way tomorrow and finish the 2nd half of the drive on Saturday. Hopefully be hunting on Sunday! I'll try to check in when I can.

Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes.

My bow is dialed in to 60 yards, food is made and separated out, the wives have all the pertinent info....just waiting on morning to get here. Hopefully we will make it half way tomorrow and finish the 2nd half of the drive on Saturday. Hopefully be hunting on Sunday! I'll try to check in when I can.

Hey man enjoy the trip out to Colorado. Just remember its not all about the kill but the hunt, enjoy yourself and remember to have fun and stay safe.

Good luck man. Driving back from an awesome hunt even though I never had a shot op at a legal elk.

God Bless.
I've been wondering how you've been doing out there. Were they talking much?

Travis - not sure about cell service but we'll have the delorme start texted too.

Donnie - keep the wind in your face and go get an elk!

Take plenty of pics regardless...safe trip!

It is as pretty quiet. I think it will better for you. We heard bugles but they wouldn't respond to our calling. Good luck.

God Bless.

Thanks guys. We've made a quick stop in WV for lunch.

Here's a pic of all my gear. My finished pack weight came in at 49.2 lbs. That's all my gear, consumables (food, gas, full bladder of water). A little more than I wanted but I feel it's decent for a 7 day first timer's hunt.

a2270f92a9c430e63c679ce6c2377ac8.jpg

Back