Pistol/ revolver powders?

Dented

WKR
Does anyone have a recommendation for a handgun powder for general purpose across the board all around decent performing starting to reload handguns again powder? I'm looking in the 38/9mm/357/44/45 range.

I'm not making 5000 yard ultra secret HALO Special Forces YouTube Hunting guru shots. I'm just doing regular old human being basic close range target and hunting stuff.

Yeah, it's a broad range of caliber performance parameters. But then, I'm just looking for a decent all around powder, not a fine tuned to the nth degree for this specific gun performer.

Thanks! 😊

It's kinda hard to come up with one powder for all those different cartridges. Maybe Unique.

Great suggestions, thank you!
Unique is aptly named, but Unobtainable might be a better moniker. 😁

Sounds like I might need a couple of powders.

Win 231/ HP38 in 380, 9, 38 spl and 45
Win 296 in magnum pistola.
That's all I use, and I have lots of different pistol powders

Unique or Universal might be middle ground but not ideal.

One powder will go bang. Two gets the full capability of vastly different cartridges.

Last edited:
If you are looking for jack of most trades but not the best in 44 mag then you would do fine with Titegroup, Win 231/HP38 or another fast burning powder. Be careful of double charges but otherwise, titegroup works in all of them. Not ideal for the 357 or 44 mag, but it will work.

Unique has been unavailable for quite a while so Win231 has replaced it for my pistol loads. I also found Shooters World Ultimate Pistol to be good, but leaves too much empty space in the case for my liking, as it is extremely fine.
Might be a good idea to find 3 or more powders based on today's market. Versatility in reloading options can never be a bad thing for most.

At some point when Unique became unavailable I picked up a few pounds of Power Pistol and use it in that capacity. Usually for medium power, range and plinking loads for 40cal, 10mm, 38spl, 44mag.

While that’s currently my across the board default for most of those loads, I do have and use several different powders more appropriate for full power or hunting loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CFE Pistol would work well for you in the calibers listed if wanting a newer powder. Otherwise I love W-231.

W-296 and 11FS (a "newer and improved" 296 if you will) in my magnums with jacketed

#9 with cast in my revolvers.

7grains of HS6 works well in my 38 special with mag primer & Speer 158 HP SWC. one version of the old FBI load.
I read it works well in 9mm as well.
it will work in the 357 but velocity is slower I think.

Magnums: H110/296, AA#9, 2400, 4227, Blue Dot
Everything: Longshot, Unique, Red Dot

Jeremy
300MP works well enough in the 357 but need longer barrel to take full benefit.
I use it in the 410 as well for lower pressure.

I use a lot of Longshot for pistols and I think it would work in all of those though may not be the most efficient.

Titegroup, HS6 and CFE Pistol should work too. I used CFE Pistol back when it first came out and my 9mm liked it.

Back