Pickup muffler

I’m not in need of anything fancy, don’t want obnoxious, but I seem to have knocked a baffle loose on my Colorado zr2.

What are some good options that aren’t ridiculously expensive?

The factory exhaust is pretty throaty but not obnoxious, would like something similar and assume buying from Chevy would not be a good bang for my buck.

Plan on taking it to a shop and leaving the factory plumbing the same, it’s all in good shape, but the muffler died, and it’s annoying as heck

I thought it was a heat shield rattle, i have had gravel stuck in heat shields before and it would rattle, but I wasn’t so lucky

mthayr

WKR
Probably just needs the bearings changed.

Preventative is to just swap the muffler bearings about every 3 blinker refills. Couple different performance levels, could probably step up from the blues, but don't need the reds, I'd say just get the yellow.
The basic one from NAPA works just fine, no performance parts needed:
napa.jpeg

OP
roosiebull
Magnaflow. Listen to them online and decide which sound you like the best
I didn’t know that was a thing, I have had both flowmaster and magnaflow in the past, but remember there being a lot of options for each, and a couple buddies having them too that were obnoxious.

That will help, thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You might check with Chevy.......the first time I had the muffler replaced on my old Toyota, Toyota replaced it with a lifetime warranty. I've had it replaced three more times since then from Toyota and all were free.

OP
roosiebull
You might check with Chevy.......the first time I had the muffler replaced on my old Toyota, Toyota replaced it with a lifetime warranty. I've had it replaced three more times since then from Toyota and all were free.
Good call, I will check with them first

OP
roosiebull
just saying if you want to hang with the cool kids......

I remember those, haha… the only thing more obnoxious than a cherry bomb is said cherry bomb falling off in the hills on a gravel road… was a loud ride back

Was yours a manufacturer's warranty or a dealer warranty? Never heard of that before for Toyota.

OP
roosiebull
Do they make a silent one?
They aren’t all loud, I put one on a tundra a few years ago that sounded good and wasn’t obnoxious. I forget what model it was though. It was a cat back kit, but right now I don’t need a cat back, the factory exhaust still looks good (I think I’m around 80k on the pickup) but I knocked something loose in the muffler.

Also need sway bar end links, mine are trashed, and one of the bed brackets fell off, so I need that put back on… my pickups don’t live an easy life.

OP
roosiebull
Chevy and Toyota service and warranty is like night and day in my experience
That doesn’t surprise me, but it’s worth a check. I do like the stock muffler, but I know they are proud of their parts… I had to replace a wheel on a cobalt SS years ago and it was 900$ for one factory wheel, nothing special about it

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I was also wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket muffler set-up for a 2016 Toyota Tacoma. I'm getting to be an old grumpy fart and just want my vehicle to be "QUIET" I don't need my truck to sound tough or have a "throaty" sound when accelerating....etc. I can't stand the cabin drone and buzzy/ricey sound my Tacoma makes when accelerating. I want it to sound like my wife's sedan - quiet.

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I was also wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket muffler set-up for a 2016 Toyota Tacoma. I'm getting to be an old grumpy fart and just want my vehicle to be "QUIET" I don't need my truck to sound tough or have a throaty sound when accelerating....etc. I can't stand the cabin drone and buzzy/ricey sound my Tacoma makes when accelerating. I want it to sound like my wife's sedan - quiet.
Avoid the TRD exhaust for sure as it's louder than OEM.

There must be some mistake....Toyotas never need replacement parts.

OP-I would be cautious about the suggestions from performance muffler afficionados.
You can set up a constant drone at freeway speeds that becomes an annoyance.
I would stick with as close to stock as possible.
It's mostly a Toyota thing to put a loud exhaust on a vehicle that will never flow the type of CFM that requires an exhaust upgrade.
It's just for attention.

Good luck with any toyota not being noisy. I love my Sequoia, and previous Tacomas and 4runner. The only think I would change about them is how noisy they are. Put aggressive tires on the sequoia and it doesnt really get any louder. I've never paid much attention to the engine noise on any of them, but my wifes 4cyl camry is a loud high revving machine