Pick my 7mm Rem Mag

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka 7RM (the Cabela's version of the Veil Alpine) and I load 168 grain Nosler ABLR and 175 grain Partitions without any issues. They both shoot great out of my gun.

At the speeds that the 7RM shoots, 9.5 twist is fully adequate to stabilize those bullet weights. It may not work for the 180+ grain bullets out there, but I wouldn't use any of those on game anyway as they are mostly match bullets.
I believe part of the concern with fired bullets having a low stability factor is tumbling once striking game and thus not performing as intended… that said, I find this point interesting as i, too, have a dreaded 9.5” test 7 mag.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka 7RM (the Cabela's version of the Veil Alpine) and I load 168 grain Nosler ABLR and 175 grain Partitions without any issues. They both shoot great out of my gun.

At the speeds that the 7RM shoots, 9.5 twist is fully adequate to stabilize those bullet weights. It may not work for the 180+ grain bullets out there, but I wouldn't use any of those on game anyway as they are mostly match bullets.
At least berger’s stability calculator says that 175 NP is a comfortably stable combo.

Rob5589

WKR
It's bullet length, not necessarily the weight. The 9.5 twist can't handle long monos either in lighter than usual weights.

OP
G
You should add Bergara and whetherby to your list.
Which models? I looked at Bergara but didn’t see any lightweight options in the same price range.

Don’t specifically recall why I couldn’t find a Weatherby, but think it was lack of threaded barrel. No good gunsmiths near me so that is important.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Which models? I looked at Bergara but didn’t see any lightweight options in the same price range.

Don’t specifically recall why I couldn’t find a Weatherby, but think it was lack of threaded barrel. No good gunsmiths near me so that is important.
I have the Bergara b14 Ridge, sent it to LRI got the bolt and barrel fluted upgraded to a stockys VG2 stock and its right around 9.5lbs with scope and ammo. Weatherby vanguard there is different models that have threaded options
Bergara Highlander premiere, I think is the mountain type rifle that is less weight with the more premium action I think is around $15-1700
I really like my Howa As well, they even make a carbon barrel option that’s sub $1000 on Gun broker unsure on calibers available for that one.

OP
G
So Browning just got back to me and said the X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready series is 1 in 8”. I called a Bass Pro with one in stock and asked them to check for barrel markings to confirm, but they couldn’t find anything.

The barrel length on the specs they sent me said 22”, while Bass Pro says 26”. I’m guessing the Browning site is wrong as I haven’t seen many (any) 22” bolt action 7mm. Hopefully the twist rate isn’t wrong too.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any of these, but if it were me I'd be looking at the X-bolts, probably the LR. I have an older A-bolt and it is nice, but these are modern takes on a great platform. For your purpose, I think you'll be very happy. I've heard they shoot excellent as well. Happy hunting!

Unckebob

WKR
So Browning just got back to me and said the X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready series is 1 in 8”. I called a Bass Pro with one in stock and asked them to check for barrel markings to confirm, but they couldn’t find anything.

The barrel length on the specs they sent me said 22”, while Bass Pro says 26”. I’m guessing the Browning site is wrong as I haven’t seen many (any) 22” bolt action 7mm. Hopefully the twist rate isn’t wrong too.

I would trust Browning vs Bass Pro when it comes to their products. Some of the guys working at Bass Pro are not really well trained.

If the store is close to you, I would do a drive by with a tape measure.

At least berger’s stability calculator says that 175 NP is a comfortably stable combo.

One thing interesting with that calculator is the higher in elevation you get, the more stable the bullet from a 9.5 twist. The flip side is the colder you get the opposite happens. But for the typical hunting conditions in CO at high altitudes, you can stabilize a pretty heavy bullet with a 9.5" twist.

OP
G
One thing interesting with that calculator is the higher in elevation you get, the more stable the bullet from a 9.5 twist. The flip side is the colder you get the opposite happens. But for the typical hunting conditions in CO at high altitudes, you can stabilize a pretty heavy bullet with a 9.5" twist.
Ya, I was playing with that yesterday. I’m kind of on the fence between the Superlite (did find a local smith that can thread it) and the Browning. The 8” would maybe break the tie. When it is all said and done, by the time I buy a Superlite, pay transfer fee, thread it, and buy a muzzle break, I’m basically the same dollars out as the Browning.

Plus, I kind of like having something relatively different. Tikka’s are like the F150s of the mountain hunting world. They work but everyone has one. I won’t do any customization.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
+ Sako as a wildcard. Someone can confirm but I believe made by same company as Tikka (or Sako makes Tikka??).

Also, I have a BR buddy who swears the Savage 110 is awesome.

The Browning Suppressor Ready X-Bolts all have shorter barrels with faster twists. If Bass Pro told you 26" then the one they have in stock is not an SR version, it is the standard Speed version.

OP
G
The Browning Suppressor Ready X-Bolts all have shorter barrels with faster twists. If Bass Pro told you 26" then the one they have in stock is not an SR version, it is the standard Speed version.
Not what anyone told me but is what is on their website. Guess it would make sense to have a shorter barrel on a firearm marketed for suppressors.

BigSky

WKR
I like and own or have owned all listed in this thread. My one comment is that the Brownings are very under appreciated in my opinion. The 2 Hells Canyon Speed 7MMs I had were easily two of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. To be honest, I can probably say the same thing for all of the calibers in which I've owned them. I also have zero complaints about the Christensen Arms, Tikkas and Bergaras I've owned and my comment is directed more toward the "under appreciated" portion of my assertion.

Not what anyone told me but is what is on their website. Guess it would make sense to have a shorter barrel on a firearm marketed for suppressors.

OK. I checked the website and while the description states that it is a SR model, the listed specs are for the standard Speed model.
If there is one listed as in stock near you, I would recommend going and checking it out. Even if it is the wrong model, you can forget a feel for the features of the rifle with the understanding that the SR model will have 4” less barrel.

OP
G
OK. I checked the website and while the description states that it is a SR model, the listed specs are for the standard Speed model.
If there is one listed as in stock near you, I would recommend going and checking it out. Even if it is the wrong model, you can forget a feel for the features of the rifle with the understanding that the SR model will have 4” less barrel.
Just confirmed with Browning that the Bass Pro/Cabelas specific model is a 26” barrel AND is 1 in 8” twist.

The “normal” X Bolt Speed Suppressor ready is a 22” barrel and also 1 in 8”. That would probably be the ticket if one was planning to suppress.

I did go look at the Superlight and a similar “Hells Canyon Long Range” yesterday at my local store as that was the only model they had. Heavier barrel but same action. Couldn’t say either one stood out from the other just from feel, fit, or finish. The Superlight is a bit lighter, but it wasn’t very noticeable even compared to a heavier LR model.

Tx270WT

FNG
I have the western xbolt in 7 mag, not the lightest but man it’s a tack driver. New work up load does 1/3 MOA. Magazine is long enough to accommodate long bullets too