Is elk hunting more physical or mental?

• Physical

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Mental

Votes: 102 83.6%
  • All Luck

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
I am currently 58, looking at 59 in under 6 months. I have in the very recent and distant past walked 20 something year olds into the ground. I have also seen their enthusiasm drop to nothing after day 3 of a 7 day hunt, due to not seeing animals of the appropriate sex. In short, some things come with experience; call it wisdom if you like. But, there are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to animal behavior, and when and if they show in a given hunt area. Over the years, I have learned and experienced just this; meaning that I know the animals will be there, it is only a matter of when. As such, I know that I need to be out there well before sunrise and still actively hunting until that 1/2 hour after sunset That means I am hiking to and from spots that I believe will produce, in the dark. It is fortitude that allows me to keep doing it on day 1 through day 14 of a 14 day hunt. It is fortitude that keeps me from pulling the trigger and settling on an animal I would have not harvested on day 1.

As for me, I have always been willing to just grind through it, even as a child. Hell, I remember breaking my ankle as a teen. I was skateboarding a dam in a debri basin. When leaving I climbed the same fence to get out as I did entering the place (yes I was trespassing). My sweater got caught on the barbs at the top of the chain link fence. My landing was very ungraceful to say the least. I hopped on one leg for 2 miles to get home. Granted, that was not the smartest thing, but it is just a single example of the type of kid I was, and what I was willing to endure, when necessary. Well, now, as an adult, well at my age, I appreciate comfort. But I am still willing to suffer for some things, to a degree. If that means getting up well before sunrise and hiking 2 hours in the dark to be at a particular spot 1/2 an hour before first light so the place has a little time to settle, I do it. I also do the same going back. That is just a part of harvesting mature animals, consistently. Some just have it in them, others do not. Some can learn it, some can not.

However, currently I am medically eligible for knee replacement, for both my knees. Considering that for the past 5 plus years my hunting and scouting has involved considerable pain in which I just grind through it, swelling and all; I am rather looking forward to my upcoming appointment with my ortho surgeon to get some dates set, discuss the recovery process and timeline. I am hoping to have the surgeries not impact my cervid hunting season. However, as at my age, I can expect a maximum level of recovery, I really do not want to put the surgery off. What I mean is that I have a few friends that have put off knee surgery until they were in their early 70's. They literally suffered more and more every year. They lost muscle mass due to simply not being able to do as much, to the point on one, not being able to walk more than a couple blocks. Their recovery, well, they can walk, but they are unable to handle a jeep trail, let alone backcountry hunting. As for me, I will get the surgery, and recover to continue backcountry hunting.

My point here is that guides see it all, and experience all types. And, we hunters, are composed of all types. But as for me, I am a firm believer that if a person is hunting public land, unguided, their success rate can tell you the type of person they are. However, I also believe that there is so much more that goes into consistent success than "hardheadedness"/mental and physical abilities/limits.

Great post Bubblehide! Are you gonna do both knees together? I have a friend who did both of his at the same time at your age plus or minus a year or two. Goodluck on the surgery’s. Just make sure you are diligent on the pt afterwards and you should be fine.

ElkNut1

WKR
No doubt our motors within are driven by different forces! Some will show their 'Strengths' are more Mental & others are more Physically driven.

My Physical side drives my Mental side 100% therefore it receives the edge! Whatever yours is don't fight it, feed it & they will compliment each another!

ElkNut

cnelk

WKR
If it’s so much more mental, why do so many guys workout to get in shape for their elk hunt?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many of us in same age class knees gone to shit...good luck bubble on the work let us know how it goes one of mine to be done in next 3 yrs.....I said fitness because if body don’t go mind goes quick but also on down days or weeks a strong mind will help carry the body...youth with strong will the best combo🤙

Great post Bubblehide! Are you gonna do both knees together? I have a friend who did both of his at the same time at your age plus or minus a year or two. Goodluck on the surgery’s. Just make sure you are diligent on the pt afterwards and you should be fine.
Thanks! I need to meet with the surgeon and figure that out. Both at the same time is not common, but If I am given that option, I am likely to take it.

Many of us in same age class knees gone to shit...good luck bubble on the work let us know how it goes one of mine to be done in next 3 yrs.....I said fitness because if body don’t go mind goes quick but also on down days or weeks a strong mind will help carry the body...youth with strong will the best combo🤙
Thanks, will do.

OP
Indian Summer
If it’s so much more mental, why do so many guys workout to get in shape for their elk hunt?
My honest answer.... because being in shape helps their mental game. If I believed in hypnosis I’d take that over getting in better physical shape. And both of my knees are going fast.

Thanks! I need to meet with the surgeon and figure that out. Both at the same time is not common, but If I am given that option, I am likely to take it.

Yeah it’s a tough decision. I think he rathered be laid up and doing rehab once instead of twice.

willy

FNG
I think it's a bit of a, which came first the chicken or the egg? A mentally strong person can push themselves to become more physically fit, especially if they are starting a very low point, same can be said about a person physically fit, they can develop mental toughness the harder they work towards one's goals.

I voted mental toughness but know that without being physically capable to go where elk are mental toughness itself aint going to get me there.

A mentally tough person in my opinion is going to be able to take on the toughest of hunts better than a person who just has their physical health to go on.

Which reminds me I better get after the health side of things as this covid/Thanksgiving/Christmas time has really impacted one side of my elk hunting abilities. I need a little more mental toughness to push away from the table and forgo Christmas treats.

No doubt our motors within are driven by different forces! Some will show their 'Strengths' are more Mental & others are more Physically driven.

My Physical side drives my Mental side 100% therefore it receives the edge! Whatever yours is don't fight it, feed it & they will compliment each another!

ElkNut

That’s good stuff Paul! That physical issue I had with those discs that year definitely affected my mental aspect of that hunt for sure.

I think if you have a basic physical ability/ fitness, then the mental aspect is key. But you need a certain level of physical ability to get around when needed. After that, it’s all in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to think of someone who I know is in great physical condition, but lacks mental toughness- I'm drawing a blank.

I'm not talking about someone who hits the gym twice a week, most weeks. I'm talking about someone who day in, day out; month in, month out; year in, year, year out- does what it takes to be very physically fit. Those folks I can guarantee you have plenty of mental toughness.

Emil Zatopek

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter either. Then willpower will be no problem."

*zap*

WKR
The ratio of mental/physical challenge will vary day to day but you need to be able to buck up and meet it. When it is time to be strong mentally be strong, when it is time to be strong physically be strong. Stop, rest, regroup, refuel, rehydrate, think your options thru but never quit and always keep going forward even if it is at a snails pace for a while......

I think it takes a healthy base level of both. My vote goes to mental though because when I am more mentally strong it keeps me thinking instead of just doing.

willy

FNG
I'm trying to think of someone who I know is in great physical condition, but lacks mental toughness- I'm drawing a blank.
I don't know anyone in great physical condition per your description but I know a lot of people who are mentally tough/got grit. I'm sure the physically fit person you describe has mental toughness as you say but that is a rare person. I think most successful elk hunters/guides got more grit than great physical fitness.

I believe it’s both, but mental toughness can overcome some physical limitations. I hunted with an older guy who had hip issues, but just kept going. He was tougher than woodpecker lips.

One personal observation... I pay a little weight penalty with my sleep system. I believe good, comfortable, quality sleep pays huge dividends in both categories.