Physical conditioning

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I just can’t imagine this scenario working reliably in the elk country I hunt. The terrain is too difficult to reliably be able to meet up in any kind of timely manner -at a minimum, you’d have to be prepared to bivy overnight waiting for the Calvary. The terrain traps would make most type of two way radio unreliable unless there were scheduled high point radio rendezvous. Maybe you could do it with more powerful communications, but everyone would need a HAMM license to be legal. Two animals down at the same time would also present logistical issues where, at a minimum, a group would have to pack out one animals and then Immediately return for a second animal. 3 animals down would be even more problematic. In that case, a partner counting on suffering through a single trip would be a liability. Glad the system works for you, but most people come to Rokslide looking for advice on handling true Backcountry hunts where relying on 3rd parties isn’t an option. I once lost 20 pounds in 3 days packing an elk out of a hellhole, with the 3rd day consisting of my partner and I packing an entire animal (well over 100# each) in one single trip for 6 miles and then returning for our camp. That packout would have broken the physically unprepared on the first day.

A couple years ago we shot three on opening day in Colorado and had them all out by the next morning.it helped that we could get two with the horses:) I agree that it doesn't work as well in really bad terrain like our spot in Idaho and definitely not an option for a solo hunter or even two guys.as far as communicating we also have the inreach so as soon as a bull hits the ground everyone else quits hunting.

LaHunter

WKR
Sounds like your in better shape than 80% of the people hitting the mountains. Stay hydrated and go at a maintainable pace and you will have no problem!

This is really good advise. Stay well hydrated and fueled (nutrition/food)! If you get dehydrated or crash due to inadequate nutrition, you will likely be ‘done’ and recovery at altitude for us that live near sea level is not likely. Get your food / calories dialed in so you know how much you are consuming daily.

Shraggs

WKR
As most have said, your in good shape - miles ahead of most! My fist hunt in Montana 6-9k was not a problem in decent shape. My first hunt in Colorado 9.5 - 11.5 in better shape was a problem for 4 days. Elevation matters, to me at least.

Going on my 5th trip in Colorado I will be in good shape again but don’t have the time to get there early and will struggle less due to being in shape. Moving a little slower as you hike helps a lot.

I drive, I take Advil every six hours for the two day drive (prescribed by my sports doctor friend and avid hiker) and hydrate well for trip.

My cardio includes elliptical, running and hill work with pack and weight. As mentioned, going down hill with weight is hard on the knees and harder for me than going up. Find that hill and walk up and down it for an hour. My hill is only 40 yards, averages 18* and I start with 15 lbs and if I can get to 40 trips in an hour I add 5 lbs. I’m now happy with staying at 40 lbs and increasing my speed vs risking another minor injury.

Also agree with another poster, once a week I do 3-4 miles with at east 70 lbs. I so feel that even with my strength training and squats walking with weight over rough terrain affects muscles and balance you don’t work when working out. My hips especially need that. Once I’m comfortable with the weight on trails I increase speed to get my heart rate up.

Also as someone has said, working my core as much as my legs has really paid off. I do 4 different lifts for my back a couple for chest and 200 sit-up/crunches with minor weight. I notice the difference going over big dead falls on a step slope. Of course I’m only 5’8” so a big deadfall is relative, ha.

FWIW, John

Last year I was in the same boat coming from East Texas. Like you I work out a lot and was in good shape already. I walked 2 miles a day 3 days a week with a 30-40 lb pack, did strength training 3 days a week (this is my normal year round routine) and then on Sunday I would spend 30-45 minutes going up and down the bleachers at the football field for 30-45 minutes with the pack. Not running, just walking. I walked 8-10 miles a day at the same altitude you'll be hunting at for 9 days with my daypak that weighs about 15 lbs and did just fine. I just recently started hitting the bleachers again on Sundays and will continue that until elk season. The first couple days I definitely noticed I got out of breath pretty quick, but after I acclimated I did fine. I was tired every evening, but no problems. I'm betting you'll be just fine.

jip40

FNG
After a decade of humping missiles around in the military, I personally wouldn't go over 90 lbs more than once a month. Make sure you're using trekking poles to save your knees!

flyfishaz

FNG
I'm 49 and ran over 10,000 miles in my 40's. I live in the Phoenix area but have a cabin in the 6500 foot range. For me, it doesn't matter how good of shape I am in at 1200 feet. At high elevations, I am a 350lb man who sits on the couch and eats potato chips for a living.

nursul

FNG
I think your training of packing 100 pounds for ten miles is counter productive and seems silly. You sound like you are already in good shape with your current regimen. I think this topic of hunting shape is overrated. Someone in good / decent shape will be good to go. I see more people fail in the woods mentally more than I do physically.
This gentleman’s reply is spot on! I can go over my resume but for what. This advice he gives is all you need to know. You will fail mentally before your fitness holds you back, this is a fact.

bozeman

WKR
Being a flat lander myself (west AL), find a local high school football field and walk bleachers for an hour a week with a 50# pack...……..you will thank me after the 2nd or 3rd day of your hunt. :) Experience is a great teacher! Best of luck!

Usi05

WKR
Besides walking and running with and without weight, I also am shooting a ton of arrows at 5lbs heavier draw then I plan on shooting in the fall.

I also finish each session by taking 5 shots and holding each until I’m forced to release it.

I dread the thought of not being able to pull bow back on a chilly morning/evening or not being able to hold long enough to wait out an elk or whitetail.

More aspects to it then just up and down hills!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
It is my opinion that you really need to do 90-100 pound loads maybe once a week for a short time to get your hips used to that kind of weight. Generally train at say 50 pounds but definitely get some time under the heavier loads to get your body used to it. You'll be a lot better off when you get an elk down if you do this. You won't suffer as much getting the meat out. My good buddy is very fit and strong but is a pilot in the military and doesn't get out packing weight anymore so when he is moving heavy loads of meat, he's hurting pretty good. If you do 2-3 miles once a week for 8-10 weeks with the heavy load, and your in shape like you are, I just don't see that as hurting you in anyway long term.
Just out of curiosity, what are you guys putting in your packs to get to 100# for training?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
OP, find a levee. Pontchatrain levee is great if you are near NOLA. Many of the rivers have solid levees for training but public access may vary.

Agree you don't need to go heavy that often. Definitely don't go over 100 lbs. As others have said, you are only carrying that amount of weight on the packout.

nphunter

WKR
The only time I carry heavy loads on my back is hauling the meat out. In fact, I don't really even do any training leading up to elk season........I just stay active year round. Take the mental game with you, and you can force your body to do some pretty intense hunting.

I totally agree with this. My hunting partner last falls knee was swelling bad for a few months leading up to season. He stopped on the way out and bought a compression brace for the season. It helped a lot and we put on tons of miles, he helped pack my bull out of a nasty hellhole in one trip. He went in this last winter and had several torn ligaments repaired. He still out hiked me hands down:)

We put close to 200miles on our boots in Sept.

Haven't read every reply but being close to the coast, if it's not too far, I would walk in the wet sand close to water with 40-50# in your pack. Hard to replicate shifting footing you will encounter, but wet sand will definitely help more than a treadmill or stair stepper

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jaweav12

FNG
Sounds like I was in way worse shape than you on my first Elk hunt. I put int like 7-10 miles with a 40# pack for 10 days over 2 weeks. I think physically you will be fine. Be prepared to endure shit weather and not seeing elk especially if OTC.

njdoxie

WKR
OP, find a levee. Pontchatrain levee is great if you are near NOLA. Many of the rivers have solid levees for training but public access may vary.

Agree you don't need to go heavy that often. Definitely don't go over 100 lbs. As others have said, you are only carrying that amount of weight on the packout.

Yeah, had to have back surgery that I think was caused by frequent hiking with 85#, what a major PIA that was. I’ve backed down to 45# and I’m prepared to go lower if nerve pain returns, no elk is worth nerve pain.

npm352

WKR
According to social media and hunting clothing ads, you need to be living off of MTN OPS and be able to bench press your truck to have a chance....

In all seriousness, with your workout you will be fine. Training is a big deal, but on a hard hunt, no matter how hard you trained, your mental attitude will keep you going....training just delays the time before your body starts to break down.

I feel like a good way to prepare is to run up gravel pit walls, you kind of slip. The goal is run to the top, jog back down and around. Repeat, i get 1.5 roundds in before i feel like dying.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rack up a lot of trail miles/year- combination of running/snowshoeing/hiking and strength train twice a week; I'm fortunate that I live roughly in the same place I hunt elk so spend most of my time in those areas (plenty of up and down).

If you have some steep hills, take advantage of those, if not stairs will do (as will a stair machine)

I'll echo several and say nix the 100 lb pack and definitely don't be running w/ much more than 20 lbs, too much risk of injury. I continue my normal regime until late summer and then start adding some weight to my hiking; I add slowly and work my way up to 60 lbs- that is more than enough weight in my experience

Good luck w/ your hunt!