peep sight with or without microtubing for hunting?

sk1

WKR
i have always used the alignment tubing for my peepsight up until last season....i got so sick of it always getting caught in the brush, and i always expected it to rip off although it never did and i always carry an extra piece of tubing.

so i made the switch, each time before the shot now i twist the peep sight by hand that little quarter twist so it will lign up good, and if i forget to do it i can still see through it.....i was at the archery range the other day and heard the horror stories of some guys that said they came to full draw at big bulls and it was sideways.

what do you guys use? i know some strings hold a peepsight better than others, but i have considered switching back

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i dont feel like mine rotates, but its always A quarter turn the wrong direction so i rotate it back to where i want it lol......i have the stock fuse string that came with my new hoyt last year, not the best string but not bad either. i wont upgrade to a winners choice until i wear it out

i was told it's called training your peep and eventually get it closer to where i want it, but that might just be a bunch of bs, i dont know much about it

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
sk1, if your peep is turning more than slightly, your strings are the issue, assuming you have a bow made in the last 10 years. Quality string material after it has stretched will not twist during the draw cycle more than an 1/8th turn. If your d loop is aligned to your peep and they don't line up at full draw, I would get better strings. Another issue that can affect this is center serving. When a quality string is served, it is usually served under tension of several hundred pounds, this also help with string twist. So if you reserve on your own or have it done by a shop and your string is still on your bow, the tension will not be nearly enough and the string can twist under the center serving. In the end, a quality string that costs a little more is always worth it.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i thought the newer fuse strings were of decent quality, the older ones i heard weren't the greatest...

maybe that's the problem, i dont think my d loop is properly aligned with the peep, because the peep always returns to its original position after i twisted it, then shot, it returns to where i twisted it from....i had been wondering if my d loop was the issue because it isn't aligned with my peep like i thought it should be, maybe i just need to fix that and it will center itself since my peep seems to stay in that spot, and return after twisted it away and shoot

J-Daddy

WKR
Do yourself a favor...Buy a set of strings from John's Customs in Virginia and you won't have to worry with that anymore....I've shot all the big names strings "winners choice, vapor trail, etc.." and John's beats them all.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sk1, yes align your d loop and your problem will probably fix itself. The newer fuse strings are better than the old ones, as they are using better materials. But I materials are only half of the string, workmanship being the other half. Good custom string makers do a better job with the materials they work with.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Sk1, yes align your d loop and your problem will probably fix itself. The newer fuse strings are better than the old ones, as they are using better materials. But I materials are only half of the string, workmanship being the other half. Good custom string makers do a better job with the materials they work with.

yeah i had thought of it, but for whatever reason never changed the D-loop.....im going to have it redone to match the direction of my peep and i think you're right it will fix the problem! thanks for making me consider it again

B

bearguide

drop of fletch tight when it is aligned will hold it in the right place

Lukem

WKR
Most of the time I think peep twist is blamed on strings when more often than not it's the D loop. Making sure that the D loop is set right and locked tight with wax will make sure that no matter how your peep looks at rest, it'll be right on at full draw. Typically, my D loops have had to be about 45 degrees to the left of my peep to get it to where it needs to be. Never had a problem other than a loop that wasn't cinched down enough and it would slip a little. Simple fix tho, I knew about it and it was second nature to put it where it needed to be.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
i havent used tubing in years, with the high quality strings now it isnt an issue, i use Vaportrail strings and after a few shots they dont move.

vcb

WKR
No tube!! Take the time to tune your bow with a good set of strings/ cables. G5 meta for me.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Setting your d loop is crucial like Luke said. But if you have strings that are constantly rotating on the cams or stretching just simply moving your d loop will not fix the problem. That is why a good quality set of after market string is always a must for me. Then I ensure my d loop is set correctly and clinched. Using a little wax before clinching down the d loop will ensure it doesn't move.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Peep tubing is one more thing to go wrong in the woods - I was helping a kid out one time and his tube broke so I bit off an inch and slid it back on the peep - suddendly he was shooting a couple inches low. I would get a good string like a Winner's Choice and lose the tube for good. You just let your strings break in for a day or two and fine tune the peep alignment with a twist here and there and it shouldn't move.