Peep sight for muzzy

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone use a rear peep sight? I know they help accuracy wise just haven't seen much about them? Who makes the best?

Does anyone use a rear peep sight? I know they help accuracy wise just haven't seen much about them? Who makes the best?

Personally I really do like a peep sight on a base rifle.

Williams FP is an excellent sight, and I think the Lyman 57 Peep is also an excellent peep. It is a little more versatile than the Williams

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/receiver-sights.php

This is the Williams setup I use...

And this is the front sight set-up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I shoot a rear peep and have better accuracy with them.

Sabotloader, that is a great looking set up.
questions:

What did it cost you?

Is it hard to adjust?

Is that front target sight durable enough for backcountry hunting?

questions:

What did it cost you?
These are just close estimates - The Williams peep runs about $80. The front ramp $20 and the Fire Sight Bead $17. the hood seems like it was $10 - not all real cheap but for me the added confidence was worth it. It really gives you the illusion of shooting through a 1X scope.

Is it hard to adjust?
Peep sight is 1/4 min clicks just like a scope at 100 yards - got that one figured out!

That is what the hood is for - it does protect the front bead... but as the hood comes from Williams it can get caught in/on the brush and pulled off. So what I do is squeeze the open of the hood down a little bit so it slides on the ramp much tighter. Then I drop some red loc-tite in the ramp tracks slide the hood in let it dry and hope that I do not need to take it off again because it is not going to be easy. It can be done but it is not easy...

questions:

What did it cost you?

Is it hard to adjust?

Robby, I bought a Williams FP peep sight a few months ago (in fact a spare from Sabotloader). I was shooting the XS Sights ghost ring but had some problems with having enough adjustability. I am going to order extra apertures in different diameters and play around what I like best for hunting situations.

For the front sight blade I am still going to stay with the XS Sights white line patridge. I love the sight picture with that front blade, and the fact that you aim off of the top of the blade rather than cover the target with the sight. I find using the "white line" gives a very accurate aiming point. As you know it is also VERY rugged. Personally, I've had trouble with fiber optics covering too much of the target or the various level of "glow" you get in various lighting conditions. I have also had the hood come off and even the fiber optic fall out while hunting.

Trig

FNG
Do you guys have any issue using peeps in low light situations? I'm totally decided on switching to a peep, that has been my only question.

Trig

FNG
The basic idea has ben used on rifles and bows for hunting conditions many many years. With the Williams sight you can buy larger diameter apertures if you want more light.

I'm familiar with a peep on a bow or rilfe. My first rifle was a chipmunk 22. with peeps lol. It's just that the rifles with aperture sights that I have used tend to be smaller openings. Buying one with a larger diameter makes perfect sense for low light. Just asking the dumb questions first before I jump into ordering new gear!! Thanks for info on Williams

Do you guys have any issue using peeps in low light situations? I'm totally decided on switching to a peep, that has been my only question.

Yes, I do... but I use a 0.091 aperture for hunting and in the low light situations I remove the aperture and use the sight as Ghost Ring sight. Then when the light is adequate I install the aperture again.

Trig

FNG
Yes, I do... but I use a 0.091 aperture for hunting and in the low light situations I remove the aperture and use the sight as Ghost Ring sight. Then when the light is adequate I install the aperture again.[/QUOTE

Sound logic, thanks for the info!

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that just burned a bunch of points on a CO muzzy Muley tag. He is a Superior long range muzzle loading competition shooter as well as a 90% elk slayer OTC Archery guy (tagged 18 out of 20 years). He was talking about shooting distances the other day and gave me the impression that at 300 yards he was quite confident and further wasn't out of the question. His biggest concern was preparing at 1200 feet elevation and hunting at 10K. I think he is ridiculous, but I KNOW he is not full of shit.

What is a reasonable distance to keep a 12" group with a peepsight?

I have a friend that just burned a bunch of points on a CO muzzy Muley tag. He is a Superior long range muzzle loading competition shooter as well as a 90% elk slayer OTC Archery guy (tagged 18 out of 20 years). He was talking about shooting distances the other day and gave me the impression that at 300 yards he was quite confident and further wasn't out of the question.

I believe that he is correct... he can (with experience that he has) shoot a ML to 300 or longer ranges and hit what he is shooting at. The real problem is not shooting that far or hitting what you are shooting at - but will you have any energy left in the bullet to make a humane harvest - especially on an elk. 200+ yards is my self imposed max...

His biggest concern was preparing at 1200 feet elevation and hunting at 10K. I think he is ridiculous, but I KNOW he is not full of shit.

What is a reasonable distance to keep a 12" group with a peepsight?

12" group is huge even at 200 yards - off a bench and rests. The external force acting on the bullet as it flys that distance would be my biggest concern.

This is a 200 yard target - shot with a 3x9x40 scope but with a trained shooter like your friend I would bet he would be about double the size of this group with a peep.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. I don't believe I could come close to that kind of shooting. I don't know the specifics, and wouldn't tell if I did... But I think he has a crazy specific patch process and his own custom 900 grain bullet. He might actually shoot it from a .45 but he was whining about cutting off the barrel because it was do heavy!! Not seriously though.

It is interesting what some folks can do with muzzleloaders though. He spends a bit of time in Friendship if you know where that is. Actually lives close by.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
brunse
I did some video last year on peep sights on a muzz. You can check it out at http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?1148-Big-mule-deer-here-I-come-)/page4

Go to page 4 post 78 and page 5 post 83 (those are the final stats on the gun out to 200yds.)
Don't underestimate what you can do with peeps. As you'll see there, under 2" at 100 is doable and preferred. Your buddy prolly ain't BSing. I've met military guys who do 6" groups at 300 yds with a peep all day.

For you guys interested in different peep openings. I have an adjustable Peep. By turning. It it gets bigger then adjust down when needed.

ill try and find out for you. try and google adjustable aperture for peep sight. basically unscrew existing peep and rescrew this one. its cool, you can dial it for different light conditions.