Peak refuel chicken recall

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It was the first time I'd had that flavor so it's possible it was just personal preference.

The noodles were like rocks but there was enough water that the sauce was like soup. Flavor was kinda meh for what I thought would be a pretty easy meal to dehydrate and make tasty.

I am pretty good measuring out the water as advertised for the first time of any flavor and then usually adjust from there. In this case I don't think adjusting either way would have helped. Less water = even worse noodles. More water = even soupier sauce.

I have 2 more though so if they're not part of the recall I guess I'll try again next year.
FWIW I error a little on the soupier side for things (I need the fluids anyways), massage the bag periodically and usually give them more like 20min soak time.

But all mine have been from prior years so would be sad if they suck now vs personal preference.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ate a bunch of peak chicken last week too. No drama with me but my hunting partner guts were torn up.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I ate some chicken teriyaki and alfredos last week as well. I got home from first rifle on Friday evening. No issues at that time.

I will say that I woke up in the middle of the night on Saturday and projectile vomited violently -it splashed from the toilet all over the shower curtain. My gut was rather wrecked through Tuesday of this week. That being said, that seems as if it were too much of a delay in time from the last Peak meal I ate.

Well, just read that Listeria can take up to 2-3 days to effect you. I was sick around 54 hours after easting my last Peak. I don't recall which that was, though.

TX_Diver

WKR
@Tx Diver - I let the Peak meals , and most others, sit in the cozy for twice the time specified, much better texture that way.

1729808256400.jpeg

I have 2 chicken Alfredo’s and 1 chicken pesto that aren’t part of the recall. Would trade them for pinnacle meals or maybe some other peak flavors. Otherwise I’ll give them a go on future hunts.

I have probably eaten over thirty Peak meals since mid-August. Mostly chicken and rice.

I ate two of the chicken Alfredo and both times had GI discomfort/shit straight liquid.

I thought I may have had a water filter malfunction or something, but the recall makes me question that.

The timing of this announcement is unfortunate since I just bought 25 meals...

Update: checked all my meals, none in the recall

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Had you had it in the past and did it change? Its one of my favorites from them. Just wondering if there was a shift or just different taste bud preferences.

Same question for you.
I believe mine were leftover from last year so maybe that's why I didn't get sick. Mainly, I thought it was way too salty and just a blah taste for me. Actually, all the Peak Refuel dinners tasted that way for me this year even their mountain berry granola tasted lousy to me. I have changed my dietary habits this past year with more beef and tuna so that may have played into it too. It's also just too many calories for me at once. Maybe if I ate one after a heavy pack out I would enjoy more but next year I need to find an alternative food source and I will stick with all beef dinners. First day on the mountain last year, I had the Peak Chicken Terriyaki and couldn't finish the dinner either. I do like the MH Chicken and Dumplings though and MH Lasagna w/beef sauce.

I'll say this, it's not good when your appetite turns away your main source of food for the week. It could lead to the 'bonk' pretty quickly. Sorry to hear of the issues other guys were having......

bcjoe

FNG
There are some of Peaks that are better, but overall I think MH has them beat with taste as well as portion size. I really sorry to hear about the recall, us hunters depend on quality food when we r in the backcountry and something like this causes a great deal of mistrust. I hope they get it sorted out just seems more and more common now days with everything we eat. I think we have enough things in the backcountry that are trying to kill lol

There are some of Peaks that are better, but overall I think MH has them beat with taste as well as portion size. I really sorry to hear about the recall, us hunters depend on quality food when we r in the backcountry and something like this causes a great deal of mistrust. I hope they get it sorted out just seems more and more common now days with everything we eat. I think we have enough things in the backcountry that are trying to kill lol

How do you figure mountain house beats peak on portion size?

Off the top of my head, peak easily has more calories. 800-1000 vs 500-650 seems to be what I can think of.

Mtn house chicken and dumplings is pretty hard to beat for taste and I probably like their stroganoff better on a taste level also.

I vote for the calories though. I have to eat a couple bars or some ramen noodles to feel satisfied with a 600 calorie Mtn house.

bcjoe

FNG
I did not mean MH had more. I meant their portion sizes are in a good realm of 400-600. When I eat some peaks I actually feel a little bloated sometimes. Everyone has a different calorie needs, mine is around 2500 a day in the backcountry and maybe into the 3’s on pack out. I like some of peaks meals better than MH but overall I think MH is a better option. I’ll still buy peak but most of mine are MH

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've enjoyed they high calories in peak meals (for example) and never have had an issue finishing them but I don't eat a "lunch" during the day, I just snack on things and am usually ready for a hearty meal before hitting my sleeping bag.

FYI for those about to head out to camp, just got an email saying the chicken Alfredo meal I ordered a while back got recalled. I’ll have to check my bin to see if I ate it or not, could be another excuse why I didn’t see many elk this year. Luckily Amazon sends out notifications otherwise nobody would ever see it if purchased in-store or another online retailer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/f.html?C=FEW3IUTCLW4B&K=22FNMNVOS46RM&M=urn:rtn:msg:20241023232215a52673220360495fbdd4a4c7ed20p0na&R=2RKNFZYDBAZF5&T=C&U=https://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-alerts/brucepac-recalls-ready-eat-meat-and-poultry-products-due-possible-listeria&H=RGU6OKDHEUH3ANY6CUTM6A5W80GA
View attachment 781004
Hey, my name is Alex and I work at Peak as a wholesale manager. Little insight here, our chicken supplier, BrucePac, is the one who recalled their chicken and had traces of listeria found in their facility. They recalled 12 million pounds of diced chicken nationwide.

Just so you know, we test for listeria, among many other things, both when we freeze dry, cook and package. None of our products tested positive, but we are following the recommendation from USDA to proceed with a voluntary recall and are recalling all products they have deemed could POSSIBLY have been impacted.

All of our Amazon, website, and wholesale customers have been contacted.

I unknowingly ate a bit of product that was in the effected batches and have been fine. Feel free to email me with any questions at [email protected].