Painless load development (mine)

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Another thing I think I found is that it might give a more consistent throw when at least half full. I loaded 50 40gr charges tonight starting with a nearly full hopper of h4350 and by the time I got to the last 20 and the hopper was mostly empty, it seemed to throw heavy charges more often. Most of the 50 charges were within a 0.20gr spread, but it wanted to throw 40.16-40.24 more often when nearly empty.

And, it seems rather than the cadence, how hard you hit the stop when lifting the lever up affects the weight. Hitting the stop harder seems to give a heavier throw than when lifting up more controlled and coming to the stop without "bumping" it... If that makes sense

Someone else did a whole chart earlier in the thread about consistency for the Harrels.
I threw 100 rounds w ball powder and didn’t need to add or subtract powder on any of them for my purposes. I don’t want to make up numbers, but there is very little variation.

The Harrels will make you want to throw the Lee in the trash. There’s no half full, tighten screws, weigh, trickle, yada yada. The thing just works.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I believe that bullet is a clone of the 75 grain Hornady, which is very particular about seating depth
Are you limited to magazine length?

Kind of the antithesis of this thread, but I can seat them deeper and see if that helps. Stupid to say, but it looks like it should be an accurate bullet.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
For the lee measure, Titan reloading has a baffle. Mitigates the variance due to powder level in the hopper.

I believe that bullet is a clone of the 75 grain Hornady, which is very particular about seating depth
Are you limited to magazine length?

If you're referring to the 75 ELDm, i dont think so. Its like a low 0.3's G1 BC. The 75 ELDm is 0.46 and the 73 ELDm is around 0.4. That tells me they are significantly different form factor and you can tell as much by looking at them.

I've heard it said construction is similar to vmax but that's about it.

Last edited:

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
When I hear the words 75 grain the first thing that pops in my mind is 8208 xbr. I know it's been harder to come by, but if you have any sitting around, try it.

If you're referring to the 75 ELDm, i dont think so. Its like a low 0.3's G1 BC. The 75 ELDm is 0.46 and the 73 ELDm is around 0.4. That tells me they are significantly different form factor and you can tell as much by looking at them.

I've heard it said construction is similar to vmax but that's about it.
Yeah I was referring to the ELDM, I must have my wires crossed about this bullet

Someone else did a whole chart earlier in the thread about consistency for the Harrels.
I threw 100 rounds w ball powder and didn’t need to add or subtract powder on any of them for my purposes. I don’t want to make up numbers, but there is very little variation.

The Harrels will make you want to throw the Lee in the trash. There’s no half full, tighten screws, weigh, trickle, yada yada. The thing just works.

I've not seen the need to do any fiddling or weighing with the ball powder in the Lee. Only keep the screw pretty snug and clean it occasionally. I don't trickle or weigh with ball. Just throw them and go. I remember the data you're referring to and I believe the Harrell's number are very very close to what I measure with the Lee. Most of the "tricks" are employed when using h4350.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade, maybe not.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've not seen the need to do any fiddling or weighing with the ball powder in the Lee. Only keep the screw pretty snug and clean it occasionally. I don't trickle or weigh with ball. Just throw them and go. I remember the data you're referring to and I believe the Harrell's number are very very close to what I measure with the Lee. Most of the "tricks" are employed when using h4350.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade, maybe not.

Fair enough. It’s one of those things I found to be worth the expense your milage may vary. I agree the Lee works and w ball powder did fine. If I wasn’t wanting to load 500-1000 rounds at a time I might not care. It’d be like rolling in a 93 Corolla vs a new German machine, both are gonna get you there one does it smoothly and w speed. If all I had access to was the Corolla I’d be just fine.