Packing for trips - whats your luggage/baggage?

Wondering what bags, cases, etc you guys use on different trips - whether its commercial flying, driving, bush plane, horseback, whatever.. and what sort of gear you have with..

I bought a waterproof duffel for an upcoming trip to Alaska thinking it would be the perfect bag, but then realized that I can fit all my stuff into a hard rifle case (checked) and my SG pack (carry-on), and I don't really need the duffel, which saves me a checked bag.

But I figured if I ever travel with my bow, I'll need some sort of duffel for my clothes. I've looked at the Sitka Nomad and Eberlestock Hercules before, but neither of them will carry a rifle.

Then I saw Kuiu's new cases (SKB) today and it had a picture of a bow in the double rifle case, which got me thinking that something like that might be the only case I need.. If I can pack all my stuff in one of those plus my hunting pack, do I need anything else?

I'm wondering what type of luggage you bring on what type of hunts, and when/if I would need a waterproof duffel.

Well it varies. Type and length of trip.
For the most part luggage sucks, its blocky and heavy.
Luggage is good when you want, need rollers and you want to see all your stuff.
It sucks when you want to tuck it away.
That being said for most air line travel that is non hunting, I use a dakine roller bag that's a duffle that folds open and is basically 2 layers.

Vehicle travel im all water proof duffle.

On our upcoming AK trip,, I highly doubt I can make it with just my rifle case.
So I'm packing my clothes in a WP duffle then I'm putting that in a tote.
Then I'll have the tote to bring meat home in.

pcrossett

FNG
I know Patagonia is a hotly contested topic here but I recently got the Black Hole Duffel Bag 70L on sale to replace my old duffel bag and I like it a lot so far. The backpack straps are nice for carrying through the airport and the handles on the side are great for tossing in and out of vehicles. It is also "weather resistant" but I have not really tested that at all besides setting it in the snow to get to another bag.

TJfromTX

FNG
I use a mixture of things while traveling for hunting:

1. Carry on / EDC and under seat backpack is a Kirafu Urban Ruck (for laptop and personal items) currently looking for a replacement, nothing wrong with the bag, just wanting a change.

2. Kuiu Taku Bag - This contains my Hunting Backpack, Boots and extra clothing go in here. This bag is checked and so far has held up to TSA with no problems. I usually strap it to the Pelican when walking.

3. Pelican V800 Rolling Double Gun Case - This one is overkill, and I'll probably look for a smaller and lighter option soon. Yes, it holds my bow or rifle, all the accessories, and well as other items and is practically indestructible. But its difficult to handle in a crowded airport, parking garages ect. Also, depending on the airline, can incur baggage fees. (I've flown Southwest with it numerous times with no problem and no charges, however as soon as United sees me in the check in line you can literally see the dollar signs in their eyes)

Always looking for ways to improve hunting travel so I'll be following this post for ideas.
Thanks!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Combination of duffels, dry bags, and hard cases depending on the hunt. Archery I have skb hard case and pack my clothes in the gaps. Duffels I have SG and Gregory in different sizes. Dry bags I have yeti. Dry bags are nice for flying back with meat.
On a normal trip I’ll have one hard case with weapon/clothes, a large duffel with gear, and carry on a dry bag with optics/electronics. Flying back I’ll swap backpack in duffel as carry on, dry bag gets checked with meat.

Dry bag getting checked with meat. I’m interested in that. Please expand on the particulars sir.

I’m guessing you try to pre freeze the boned out meat and pack without ice into dry bags???

Or do you add ice?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
@Turkeygetpwnd38 I'm curious about the packing meat thing too..
It depends on the animal, antelope will go in one bag, so will a whitetail and doe mule deer (both boned out) and be under to 50lbs limit. Buck mule deer I’ll put 50lbs in one and throw the rest in my other duffel or carry on. Elk, you’re talk 4ish checked bags.
How to do it is debone meat, get in ziplocks and get a freeze on it. You can do this by staying at an extended stay hotel/airbnb with full size freezer the last night or dry ice. Once frozen, pack into dry bags or even regular duffels. Have a scale and try to get it right at your weight limit. I’ve done this dozens of times, from Aug in NV to 20hr flights, never had a problem with meat thawing to much. I don’t see the need to waste space/weight on packing with dry ice unless have a multi day flight schedule. You can also carry on as much as will fit in your carry on if frozen solid.

I use a mixture of things while traveling for hunting:

1. Carry on / EDC and under seat backpack is a Kirafu Urban Ruck (for laptop and personal items) currently looking for a replacement, nothing wrong with the bag, just wanting a change.

2. Kuiu Taku Bag - This contains my Hunting Backpack, Boots and extra clothing go in here. This bag is checked and so far has held up to TSA with no problems. I usually strap it to the Pelican when walking.

3. Pelican V800 Rolling Double Gun Case - This one is overkill, and I'll probably look for a smaller and lighter option soon. Yes, it holds my bow or rifle, all the accessories, and well as other items and is practically indestructible. But its difficult to handle in a crowded airport, parking garages ect. Also, depending on the airline, can incur baggage fees. (I've flown Southwest with it numerous times with no problem and no charges, however as soon as United sees me in the check in line you can literally see the dollar signs in their eyes)

Always looking for ways to improve hunting travel so I'll be following this post for ideas.
Thanks!
My current set up is similar to yours.
The new Kuiu gun cases intrigue me,
I like the idea of putting a few clothes or items in the gun case.
Otherwise it seems there’s is a lot of space wasted with foam.

Yellow top tubs. It’s the only way. Lol

We each get 1 and then there is one for misc gear.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone in another thread suggested as a possibility if you might be hauling some (but not a ton) of boned meat- using a Yeti M30 soft cooler as a carry on. Fitting whatever gear on the trip out and then on the way back hauling frozen boned meat. Sounds like guys weren't having any trouble loading 40-50 lbs of boned meat in one.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/yeti-hopper2-30-as-carry-on.80570/

I have a really nice King Ranch duffle, but that's not practical for airport travel. My big ass Travelpro with wheels fits everything and it has wheels. And I have a aluminum double rifle case for guns, ammo, and knives.

schmalzy

WKR
Mountain Hardware expedition duffel. Held my pack and a rolled up patagonia duffel for bringing whatever back. Super durable.

Put optics and what not in a regular north face backpack.

Pelican case.

Getting through airport pretty easy. Can wear the duffel as a back pack, wheel the rifle case and hand carry backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
NRS Bill's bag with shoulder straps for a checked bag (65L, 110L, and 140L sizes available). Rolling hard side bow/rifle case checked. Smaller backpack for carry on that gets strapped to bow/rifle case while moving in the airport. The NRS bag and hard side are completely water proof. meat either in the bottom of the NRS bag or ship it home.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm in the large duffel camp with backpack straps. I picked up a "element" brand off Amazon a couple years ago and really like it. It's made an alaska trip and a few other truck trips virtually unscathed.
I can't see spending more for a water resistant duffel unless it's like a panga and is 100% waterproof.

I am however in search for a solid Carry on right now. Ideally with wheels since I generally have a briefcase over my shoulder. (Work not hunting)

I prefer a large "deployment" type duffel if I need that much gear, but there is a weight penalty over lighter weight REI style. My current one (LBT) has internal and external organization pockets, which is nice.

Last edited: