Packable spotter of choice??

Flyjunky

WKR
I just got back from a hunt where I debated every single day if I wanted to pack my 85mm.

Now, I’m either going to go Kowa 66 or Swaro STC. Spotters only work well if you carry them.

svivian

WKR
I’d go with the swaro STC. Avoid the ATX 65… very good optically but the weight is as much as an ATS 80. After being out in the field with the ATX 65, ATS80 and the STC, no question I prefer the STC.

The only reason I would go different would be the ATX 85 on a sheep or goat hunt. All other hunts it stays at home now.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Out of curiosity I looked at the kowa 774 vs the kowa 66s weight. The 774 is listed a 1330g (2.9lbs) and the 66s is 1530g (3.3lbs). Can anyone verify that?

My 774 with neoprene cover and arca plate is a bit over 3lbs. So it looks like the weight is pretty close.

I've considered moving to a 55mm or 66mm, but the 774 viewing experience is good enough to make me keep it. Especially for the 1700 I paid for it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This unit with the H-32 MIL reticle is all I really use anymore. Works excellent for verifying long range shots and using the built in ruler MIL reticle.

It's also a pretty darn good spotting scope when needed for hunts that require field judging animals like sheep and moose or if you like to shoot higher antler class deer and elk. I used it this year to verify moose legality and it was spot on.

I spot WAY more animals with my 15's on a tripod than anyone I've ever hunted or scouted with who is glassing with a spotter, as a side note.

Your price range seems MUCH higher than mine, so I'm not familiar with the high end spotter, but my Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45x 65mm has worked out great for me in Colorado and Idaho. At 45 oz it's pretty packable to me.

I agree with the guys above that if you're looking for packable, I wouldn't go above 65mm size.
Those are a whole lot of scope for the money. I bought one for a truck spotter and have been thoroughly impressed with it.

You can find a 773 or 4 for way cheaper than that.

I pack mine around a lot. I've considered going to a 55mm (a lot) but just can't give up the 77mm.
I loved my kowa 773, one of the greatest around. Went the btx, atx but I wouldn’t mind going back to that at some point. Great all around spotter

jimh406

WKR
I'd suggest you look at some reviews of the compact scopes compared and also some comparisons of what you give up, in glass as well as weight, as you go smaller. There is quite a bit of information out there.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Really need to know how what kind of glassing you are doing. For me I glass to scout in the summer. If I’m hunting elk with a bow I only carry 8x binos. Then glass a bunch mule deer hunting. That’s when the ATC comes along. It’s for verification after I find game with binos or midday sits looking into/ under trees and brush after everything has been looked over a bunch with binos. I will say much of my glassing spots are about 2k yards and in, can spot game a little further with the mini but probably not counting tines

TheGDog

WKR
I first bought a ZEISS Dailyt, which has an excellent image BTW! But for this area where the climb up sucks... I needed something lighter.

Around that time a Maven S.2 12-27 x 56mm popped up on Outdoorsman's Used Optics section, so I grabbed it.

Still getting used to it, depth of field slightly less than the ZEISS, but seems to be comparable image quality. The focus barrel has a very light touch to it! Very different from the Dialyt in that regard. Loving the lighter weight.

(actual pic of the hill I was climbing that prompted the purchase of the lighter spotter. It's slightly deceptive, it opens up a bit as you approach the timberline up top.)
356446211_935714204188351_834729272822599937_n.jpg