Packable bone saw?

SDHNTR

WKR
Over the years I have used both a Wy saw and a Gerber folding saw. Both work great but I consider them to be a little too big and heavy to really warrant packing on a backcountry trip. Is there anything better out there that is light and compact? The only reason why I think I might need it would be to cut out a skull cap. Is it worth packing any sort of saw for just that task alone? I realize ditching the skull doesn't save that much weight, but it might be worth it if the saw required to do so only weighed a few ounces. Thoughts?

littlebuf

Banned
look into a cable saw. i carry one and its great. wieghs nothing takes up no room and they work. i bought mine at cabelas and its came in a nice little blaze orange pouch

sk1

WKR
theres another post floating around about this, people posted some great ideas and links to various small cable saws, i think the one weighed like an oz or two

DWarcher

WKR
I realize ditching the skull doesn't save that much weight, but it might be worth it if the saw required to do so only weighed a few ounces. Thoughts?

I know that my Gerber folder certainly ways a heck of a lot less than a skull and because of that I always have mine with me.

I use the outdoor edge grizz saw. It weighs less than the folding gerber and is a great saw. With that said I carry a saw to keep from carrying the entire head of an elk out. I usually just skull cap the elk letting me just take out the antlers. I believe it saves a ton of weight and definitely warrants an extra 9 or 10 ounces for a saw.

The outdoor edge pictured by bandit, I also have that saw. It isn't big enough in my opinion to skull cap an elk. The grizz is quite a bit longer and is not a folding saw. The folding saw,it might do the job but you'd be sawing for quite awhile.

bandit1

FNG
yes, I've cut off antlers with it, works fine. Obviously not as easy as a larger saw like the gerber folder but the small size and weight, combined with a very rigid blade, makes this little saw a permanent part of my kit.

bandit1

FNG
I've done elk and mule deer with it. like gobbler sez, it's not ideal but I can tell you that it does work. Lots of sawing of course. It won't go clear through to saw both sides, you have to work on one side at a time. I'd say it took me about 7 or 8 minutes to do my spike this year and a little longer to my 6x5 a couple years ago. I think it's worth carrying. My buds don't carry a saw but sure seem to be happy to see this thing come out of my pack when I show up to help out.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
What is the model name on that Outdoor Edge folding saw? The only one I could find was a lot bigger, like 13" overall, and is heavier. 2.5 oz sounds like just the ticket.

BigSurArcher

Banned
In my opinion, if it's not a cable/ wire saw, it's not necessary. I used to pack in a Wyoming saw... what a waste of space and weight! Besides cutting off the skull cap, you can use a knife to de-bone and cut every joint needed to break down an animal. Knees, hips, spine... no saw needed. And even though some of these saws weigh less than a skull, I like to do Euro mounts a lot of times so I don't mind carrying the skull. Lot's of personal preference when it comes to "saw or no saw".

Nice responses guys.

With me I debone everything but like stated a saw is a heck of a lot lighter than an elk head. So therefore that's the only reason i carry a saw.i don't know the model of the outdoor edge it is sold with a knife and sheath. Outdoor edge has several models that are noteworthy of talking about. I believe the kodi pak has a smaller version of the grizz saw that's real nice then there are two versions of the folding saw. The smaller one comes with a swing blade knife in a sheath.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah, I realize a saw isn't needed to break down an animal. I don't need it for that. Just the skull cap.

OK, so this smaller saw is the one that comes with the Swing Blade? I might have to call OE and se if they will sell it seperately.