Pack Raft

treillw

WKR
Considering getting a packraft to float around high country lakes with my 1.5 year old. Lightweight is high priority. Probably doesn't need to be incredibly durable, as I'll take care on the lake not to puncture it, but I don't really want it to be a pool toy either.

I could see myself maybe using it to float down some rivers as well, but I'm not sure what the weight difference would be in the two styles.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There are lots of options out there. What is your definition of “lightweight”? Is 5-6lbs light enough or are you taking LIGHTWEIGHT?

Alpacka raft makes enough different models that you should be able to find one from them that suits your needs. If you plan on taking another person or a dog or something, you’ll want a larger boat.

If you do t plan on doing overnight trips, skip the cargo zipper things, and just get a basic floor and no other accessories. I have an alpacka mule with no fancy upgrades and it’s been a great, lightweight compact raft for fishing and cruising down rivers. The alpacka caribou is lighter yet and is a very nice boat as well. My wife has been using a scout for about 5 years now. The scout was the smallest, lightest raft at the time and it’s been perfect for my wife, she loves it.

Now they make the ghost which is even lighter than the scout.

I got a forager a while back which is alpackas biggest raft and I honestly don’t like it at all. It is very tippy and the inflatable floor is sort of lame, I don’t think I would ever choose it over my pr49 for hunting.

David

FNG
Any experience with the Alpacka Forager? Seems like a sweet hunting boat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Any experience with the Alpacka Forager? Seems like a sweet hunting boat.
I have forager, it is not as good as a PR49 for hunting. Not even close really. It is lighter but IMO that's the only benefit to a forager over a PR49.

David

FNG
I have forager, it is not as good as a PR49 for hunting. Not even close really. It is lighter but IMO that's the only benefit to a forager over a PR49.
Ah, man you already laid it out in the last comment. Good to know, thanks!