pack insight

sndmn11

WKR
I know this has been a heavily covered topic but I am apprehensive on dropping big $ on a pack on my first backpacking trip. I usually don't bawk at prices but i'm not sure how much I will use it other than this trip. I saw a cheap camping trails frame pack online, debating on buying just the frame from one of the bigger brand names and adding a bag onto it. I would buy something used as well, I don't need the latest and greatest but also don't want to be miserable if the stars align. Hunting Colorado end of September. Thanks in advance.
If you pass through Denver, I have one you can borrow with a cash deposit.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
You can't appreciate a good pack until you've packed out a couple animals with a freighter frame. Get a used
Cabelas or Kelty external frame and spend the extra money on more hunts.
I think it's funny when guys suggest the latest and greatest toting that brand x is the best but haven't tried anything else.
Nothing wrong with a little suckfest to make you appreciate something better down the road.

Crane

FNG
I know this has been a heavily covered topic but I am apprehensive on dropping big $ on a pack on my first backpacking trip. I usually don't bawk at prices but i'm not sure how much I will use it other than this trip. I saw a cheap camping trails frame pack online, debating on buying just the frame from one of the bigger brand names and adding a bag onto it. I would buy something used as well, I don't need the latest and greatest but also don't want to be miserable if the stars align. Hunting Colorado end of September. Thanks in advance.
I’m currently in a similar boat, except I plan on using the pack much more than once. Most likely every weekend of hunting season in the fall and spring bear. I do a decent bit of hiking so nothing to overkill but capable of packing meat and a overnight trip without breaking the bank on an $800 pack. Curious what you come up with.

My budget ideally would be around $500 total all in. I've already dropped a lot of money on my first elk trip between footwear, optics, etc but it'll never be enough right? I do believe in buying right the first time....would prefer buying preowned nicer gear if possible. Thanks to all throwing responses in!
Skimping on a pack won't have any affect whatsoever. Until you're packing a hind quarter & backstraps out 🙃

jayjay

FNG
I heard of some using a USMC ILBE. I have one and haven’t used it hunting yet, I have carried heavy weight in it. It’s comfortable and they can be found for less than $200. One downside is they are pretty heavy empty but if you don’t need all the MOLLE webbing and some of the other features you can cut them off and get the weight down. I think there are videos and posts of ones who did that and got the weight down a few pounds.