Pack for women?

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Fellas/Ladies, need inputs for a decent lightweight pack for the misses. She'll be home next month from her final deployment and will be hanging it up after 20 years. My biggest issue/concern is she's only 5' 1", buck-15 and has a very short torso. My SGP is bottomed out for me (I'm 5' 7") so I'm confident the krux frame will not be for her. Looking at something around the 4500-5000ish CI size and preferably around 4lbs. Of course I don't want something that will push her around too much but I don't expect any loads over 50lbs. Of course she's tough so there's always the opportunity for her stubborn ass to exceed that. Remember seeing a kifaru KU5200 on here a few weeks back and shoulda jumped on it. Anyhow, thoughts please?

Thanks,

$

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
My go to pack is the KU5200, and I think it would be a great choice for you to consider if you can find one used (might try the Kifaru forums). Even with heavy weights (my max capacity is around 75 pounds) it carries exceedingly well for a pack that is so lightweight. I have also used our bikini frame quite a bit with good results, but to be honest it is heavier and maybe more pack than she really needs if she is likely to carry less than 50lbs.

You might look at some of the packs made by backpacking/mountaineering companies as there are a lot more women's specific packs that might accommodate her smaller stature and torso. Companies like osprey and arcteryx make good quality, fairly lightweight packs that should fit her well and still carry the weight and volume that she needs to carrying for a hunting trip.

unm1136

WKR
I have found the pack folks at the local REI to be super helpful, and they tend to favor the lighterweight hiking crowd vice hunters. The heavier packs can be pressed into meat hauling service if need be, but comfort suffers as the you use packs beyond their design perameters. Just like compressing a Kifaru pack to use as a day pack is not quite as good/comfortable/convienient. But the REI staff, in my experience, is very knowlegeable, helpful, and they have many little tricks to tweak the fit of a pack to a body. Their return policy is also excellent, if you join their co-op you get invited to special sales where they liquidate rental equipment at significant savings, you get an annual coupon for 30% off any regular priced item, and you get an annual dividend based on what you spend each year. I have been kicking myself for eschewing the $20 one time fee to join the co-op for several years. Now I find reasons to shop there. Despite the hippie reputation, as a hunter I have been served very well by the staff.

If she doesn't need a monster pack, and it sounds like she doesn't, AND I couldn't find a used KU pack (even the 3800, I am a huge fan of the KU pods and pockets) I would take her to REI and have a quality pack fitted to her.

pat

I agree with Becca and Pat. As nice as a Kifaru or Stone Glacier would be, what really seperates these packs from others is their ability to haul heavy loads. If you don't expect her to carry more than 50lbs, she would be just fine with an Osprey, Arcteryx, Gregory, REI, etc. My wife usually doesn't pack loads more than 60lbs, even with meat, and her old Kelty women's pack works just fine for her. These backpacking-type packs are aren't made to haul 100lbs, but will do just fine in the range you are looking for.

Additionally, these packs are made women-specific and come in smaller sizes, so they would likely be a better fit than a dedicating hunting/hauler pack.

Shrek

WKR
I'm betting a 24" bikini frame and a 4800 high camp or t2 would be just about right. If she is just finishing 20 years then I doubt she pulls up short on anything. She's gonna go hard when she heads out with you and the strength and durability of the bikini will be there every step for her. Either of those rigs will come in around 4 lbs base . Remember that Becca is using a 26" frame and that has to feel a little bit too much when it's not loaded down. By now I would have thought Luke's queen would be sporting her own bikini frame but then she does have the KU pack so....just tossing Luke under the bus ! Lol.

Last edited:
OP
Snipershirt

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the inputs. Was attempting to steer away from hiking designed packs as to avoid buying twice and well basically, what Shrek said inregards to my wife pushing the weight/durability envelope. Guess I'll keep my eye out for a 24" bikini and maybe a HC4800 or the almost extinct KU packs. Thanks again!

I'd measure her torso to see exactly where she's at... buying a Kifaru even in 24" stay mode may also end up with you buying twice. Measure her torso correctly then give Aron a call and see if they've got a pack that will fit her. Just my .02!

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Go with a 26" stay frame....you can always dial it down but the reverse is not true. When loaded heavy the 24" stays just didn't seem to "get it done" as well as the 26" stays do for her. There really isn't much advantage other than a small weight advantage maybe 1-2 oz?, to going to a 24" over a 26".

DEFINITELY measure her torso so you can get it right. Overall height and torso length do not necessarily coincide, long torso/short legs vs. short torso/long legs.

I would also do as much research as possible on what is out there and THEN tell her you are buying her the pack of HER dreams and let her pick it out...bonus points for not only caring but also taking her thoughts into consideration. Also keep in mind that having more ci's than you expect to need is far better than not having enough and having to strap stuff to the exterior of the pack; it also makes repacking it for the trip out much easier if you don't have to get everything back in "just so" to make it fit.

Having said all that, what do you expect to be using it for?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fellas/Ladies, need inputs for a decent lightweight pack for the misses. She'll be home next month from her final deployment and will be hanging it up after 20 years. My biggest issue/concern is she's only 5' 1", buck-15 and has a very short torso. My SGP is bottomed out for me (I'm 5' 7") so I'm confident the krux frame will not be for her. Looking at something around the 4500-5000ish CI size and preferably around 4lbs. Of course I don't want something that will push her around too much but I don't expect any loads over 50lbs. Of course she's tough so there's always the opportunity for her stubborn ass to exceed that. Remember seeing a kifaru KU5200 on here a few weeks back and shoulda jumped on it. Anyhow, thoughts please?

Thanks,

$

Give me a call....I can help you out.

720-937-1418