Pack advice

New here- neat forum.
I'm looking for a daypack that has enough room for overnight gear if I unexpectedly need it. So far, Ive found the Kifaru Late Season and Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer and/or Longbow. What opinions do you have on these two choices...fit/comfort/durability, etc?

sk1

WKR
welcome.....overnight gear, for how long? just literally one night? depending on your price range, my first thoughts would go to the kifaru Timberline 3, or kifaru duplex timberline 3 if you like a rigid frame and the ability to buy different size packs to attach.

OP
T
Yeah, literally overnight. And I need enough comfort to wear it most of the day. I like the t3 option of changing packs when so desired. Choices, choices, choices!!

shaun

WKR
welcome.....overnight gear, for how long? just literally one night? depending on your price range, my first thoughts would go to the kifaru Timberline 3, or kifaru duplex timberline 3 if you like a rigid frame and the ability to buy different size packs to attach.

X2 Might as well buy right the first time. Went through 5 packs before finally ordering my Kifaru pack

Solo Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently ordered a Late season legacy which won't arrive till late Jan. I wanted a pack that allowed me to compress down to just day hunt in fair weather. Also to load up for late fall and winter hunts and hikes etc. I also wanted a pack that could handle carrying in a lightweight shelter/food/etc. for a few days and be able to carry out an elk quarter. I don't know for sure but feel pretty confident this new pack will fit my needs. I opted for the more steamlined LS and it's larger diameter main bag. I liked the idea of the extra pockets on the t3 but decided against it, and I wanted a pack with less stiff frame than the duplex timberlines(although a larger Duplex Timberline dt1 pack may be in my future). I am new here as well and have found quite a bit of good information here. Good luck in your search. Greg

I have a mystery ranch Bighorn and it fits your bill perfectly. Not to big for a day pack, plenty of room for a night or two, very comfortable, and can handle a good size meat load if need be. Its the big brother to the Dragon Slayer.

If you strictly want a day/overnight pack then nothing beats the LateSeason Legacy. If you want more flexability option wise, I would get a DT3. My last 3 Kifaru packs have been the LateSeason, T3 and now the DT3. I absolutely LOVE the DT3. I have a variety of pockets on it for more space and organization. If I am ever lucky enough to hunt out west one day. I will only need to order the T1 or T2 bag only and have a great system to cover all my hunting needs.

a3dhunter

WKR
Looks like a Kifaru Timberline 3 (or DT3) or the Mystery Ranch Bighorn.
I would say the Kifaru has a better suspension for carrying heavier weight and the pack weighs less as well (T3).

MattB

WKR
Unless you are likely to carry heavy loads or want the modularity of changing bags, I would go with the T3 over the DT3.

I should add that I had a Bighorn and sold it and now have a DT3. While the 3 zip bag confirguration is really nice, the Kifaru suspension is worlds better (load transfer to hips, overall comfort nd function) and they are lighter for equivalent capacity.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Trapper....the Late Season is a solid choice and there was a used one in our classifieds just last week if I remember correctly. If your looking at the Timberlines, remember only the Duplex versions give you the option of changing pack bags, the standard ones do not. If day hunting primarily, with chance of one night and ability to haul meat out is what your majority of hunting is, I would think the Duplex T3 is perfect. Then in the future if your hunting style changes or you need a larger bag for something, you can just get another bag to put on the Duplex Frame. If you had the Duplex frame and a T3 and T1 bag, there is not much in the world you couldn't do with them.

I am also a big fan of buying once, so go Kifaru and you will not be sorry with the choice.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the T3 exclusivey for my rifle hunting this year. I had never owned a Kifaru pack before, nor bivouac hunted, always hunting from a wall tent. I wore the pack as a day pack each day and typically packed loads in the 33-40 pds each day, with one load over 80 pds. The pack is exceptionally comfortable for those loads of 40 pds and I hardly noticed I had a pack on. When I loaded my deer into the pack, it was not as comfortable, but part of that was just doubling the weight and then some:) I packed the following items in my overnight outing and had some room to spare, though I will be buying one extra pocket/bag from Kifaru as the sleeping bag took up a large portion of the pack even when compressed down with a stuff stack. For a daypack, hauling overnight gear and for loads up to 60pds I dont think you can go wrong with the T3.
PA100638_zps61508b37.jpg
PA080611_zps66eca5e4.jpg

OP
T
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone.

Meat loads-- probably 35-40# is possible for 1 trip. I'm leaning towards the Kifaru Late Season or DT3. I'm concerned that I will sacrifice comfort with it vs the Late Season.

OP
T
This may not be necessary, but I want to post my planned pack contents to get some feedback (recurve shooter). Remember, hunting with a good pack is new to me so don't "laugh" out loud! :))

3-4 water bottles
Zone perfect bars (several depending on time afield)
Other food
Tab
Armguard
Extra string
Hand Pruners
Sm. Limb saw
Sm. 1st Aid kit/paracord
Kill kit
Extra clothing: depending on time of year . . . wool vest, cotton camo jacket (not poverty, just preference). Of course temps demand when to wear one or both.
Cushion for booty
Map(s) and compass
Sm. survival kit
Emergency blanket or similar

sk1

WKR
i think you would enjoy upgrading to a hydration system of some type, there are many. I used to throw water bottles in my pack back in the day, what a pain......they would make noise in the pack and i would hardly ever drink because i never wanted to stop and drop my pack, although i suppose you could carry one in a hip pouch. camelbak, platypus, and msr dromedary are all good choices

im sure others will follow with advice, but that would be the first change i would make if it were me

am i interpreting your post correctly? are you looking for feedback on your pack contents? or just giving us the contents list to better understand what size pack you would need.

OP
T
sk1, my thoughts when posting were to give an idea of the contents I'm thinking about to help everyone suggest which pack I would need. But, I'm open to contents suggestions for sure!

sk1

WKR
sk1, my thoughts when posting were to give an idea of the contents I'm thinking about to help everyone suggest which pack I would need. But, I'm open to contents suggestions for sure!

sorry then, wasnt trying to insult your list.....just read your post differently than it was meant!

Lawnboi

WKR
One thing to keep in mind is the size of the main bag between the t3 and late season. I was stuck on a spike camp, t3 or late season. I ended up going with the spike camp because I wanted a nice small streamlined pack for when I want to go light. The t3 supposedly has the same size 'main bag' as the spike camp.

Just something to keep in mind instead of just looking at the cubic inches.

I own a t1 and like the pockets, but for a smaller pack, with no spotter or tripod, i opted to get the spike camp and Ill end up adding exaclty what pockets I want,if any depending on the situation.