Pack advice

OP
T
sk1- didnt take it that way at all!
Wetzel- not sure what it means to live in the "zone" per se, but I eat a bunch of them. I've lost 40# since Aug 28th and I'm wanting to lose 50 more by July 1st. My goal is to be free if the blood pressure medication and to start running w/ the guys at work and improve my overall health...which means more hunting!!

OP
T
Being new to backpacking I'm not quite sure of the specs on suspension systems. But I noticed the spike camp seems to have fewer creature comforts--no precision lift. Thats a concern of mine but I dont know how much it matters overall.

stephen b

WKR
..... I've lost 40# since Aug 28th and I'm wanting to lose 50 more by July 1st. My goal is to be free if the blood pressure medication and to start running w/ the guys at work and improve my overall health...which means more hunting!!

Good job there!! Your right- your overall health means a lot more than hunting; although better health will make both hunting and all of lifes activities better and more enjoyable.

Congrats again on the wt. loss and good for you for keeping at it and reaching goals!

Lawnboi

WKR
Being new to backpacking I'm not quite sure of the specs on suspension systems. But I noticed the spike camp seems to have fewer creature comforts--no precision lift. Thats a concern of mine but I dont know how much it matters overall.

The spike camp does have a little different suspension. Im just wanted to point out the differences in main bag size. The usable space is somewhat similar in both packs that your comparing but there is a big difference in main bag size. You very well might need the extra room that the late season, or t3(although its mostly in the pockets) has to offer. You cannot go wrong with any kifaru pack though

OP
T
Is the suspension on the t3 and late season identical? Also, the side pockets on the t3, other than spotters and tripods, what seems to fit well in them?

OP
T
stephen b- thanks for the congratulations. 2012 has been a year of "awakening" for me physically. Ive been overweight since 2008 and just got tired of it! Not to mention my dads two major cancer surgeries. I may have the same cancer someday but I'd rather get healthy now and try to and eliminate one variable from the equation.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trapper the Timberline bags are more organizable than the late season due to the pockets. The long open pockets on the side can be used for anything you want. If no spotter or tripod, I have out rain gear, jackets, food, water, you name it in mine. Very functional pack.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
With the low weight and high compressibility of the high end packs nowadays, even in larger volumes, why not get the size you need for your largest adventure. I used an ICON 6000 for everything this year, including day hunts and it did fine. I have a 3000 bag as well but never thought the benefit was worth it. I am sure Kifaru would be in the same boat but I have never used one.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks- is the t3 and LS suspension identical?

Yes, I believe the T3 and LS both use the wraptech suspension. The T2/T1 use the Wraptech plus suspension.

I've gone back and forth on the T3 versus the LS. Right now if I was to buy one it would be the LS because I like the LS' bigger main bag. For organization I would add KU pockets as needed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is the suspension on the t3 and late season identical? Also, the side pockets on the t3, other than spotters and tripods, what seems to fit well in them?

Suspension is both wraptech.

I like the side pockets on my T1. They work for jsut about anything, iv put my raingear in them, water bottles, tarp.

Now the reason i went with the spike camp + pockets over the t3 is the modularity. I can put pockets on and take them off as I please.

The side pockets on the Timberline series are great for many things. Spotter scope and small tent/shelter are two of the main items. I have put a one man tent, sleeping pad, jetboil stove, water bottles, cloths. Basically anthing that will fit?