Overlooked hunts in the east

FLAK

WKR
Thinkin I'm gonna skip the Western Apps this year and make a few trips
back home to my Appalachian roots.

Hoodie

WKR
Everyone should hunt the big woods of Maine at least once.

I found this short film on Youtube a few months back. Had no clue guys hunted whitetails like this.

I like how basically everyone up there has the same green plaid wool and aperture sighted pump Remington. It's a cool hunting culture. Very different from how I grew up hunting whitetails in the South.

grfox92

WKR
The Adirondacks is the largest tract if public ground in the country. 6 million acres.

People complain of low deer numbers. I started getting and interest the year before I move out of New York.

I did 1 overnight trip in the snow and deer tracks and sign seemed to be everywhere. I had limited time and was just puttering around so I didn't kill.

I always wanted to load my pack with all my gear and just disappear up there on a big track until I killed whatever was on the other end. Camp on the track at night and start again in the morning.

Lots of moose sign and during the summer I would catch a trout on just about every cast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ROJO23

FNG
western KY whitetails. my in-laws owned a farm out there, and there are some monster bodied deer out there. Tons of turkeys, coyotes, and a few bobcats. I have killed a deer that dressed at 210lbs, and my father-inlaw killed one that dressed 237lbs.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I recently tried the mid-January Mountaineer Heritage hunt for deer and bear in West Virginia. You can use a percussion sidelock, a flintlock, a recurve, or a longbow. Since I don’t have a flintlock and you have to wear orange, I chose the sidelock percussion.

9D13DDED-5970-4E9B-B390-90C7DC271815.jpeg

Tradguy

FNG

I found this short film on Youtube a few months back. Had no clue guys hunted whitetails like this.

I like how basically everyone up there has the same green plaid wool and aperture sighted pump Remington. It's a cool hunting culture. Very different from how I grew up hunting whitetails in the South.
Fantastic film! Thank you for sharing it.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to try the PA flintlock season.
Meateater just did a podcast on it, so it will probably be overcrowded next year lol.

bobinmi

WKR
Porcupine mountains of Michigan have been in my head for a while. I'm fairly certain that I will be doing a solo trip up there this fall to bow hike.

Turkey hunting any where in the east is unlike anything i do out west turkey wise. Turkeys tend be more difficult but gobble alot harder.
I really like hunting Tennessee and Kentucky. However new York, Maine, Pensilvania have great numbers also.
I personally hunt west alabama in the swamps most of the season.

Georgia used to have good numbers on non resident gator tags I thought.

There also is decent black bear abilities on the east cost.
Lastly
We have the Ducks! Puddle ducks, sea ducks, diver ducks, geese
All fun options to change it up. Minus lizard hunting you dont have to stress of getting drawn and its all cheaper

Down side no pretty mountains with massive Meadows to glass all day, high pressure on public, not as much public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tradguy

FNG
Turkey hunting any where in the east is unlike anything i do out west turkey wise. Turkeys tend be more difficult but gobble alot harder.
I really like hunting Tennessee and Kentucky. However new York, Maine, Pensilvania have great numbers also.
I personally hunt west alabama in the swamps most of the season.

Georgia used to have good numbers on non resident gator tags I thought.

There also is decent black bear abilities on the east cost.
Lastly
We have the Ducks! Puddle ducks, sea ducks, diver ducks, geese
All fun options to change it up. Minus lizard hunting you dont have to stress of getting drawn and its all cheaper

Down side no pretty mountains with massive Meadows to glass all day, high pressure on public, not as much public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those duck hunting opportunities will get me to the east coast one of these days. Sea duck hunting is bucket list for sure.

mcfd45

FNG
Porcupine mountains of Michigan have been in my head for a while. I'm fairly certain that I will be doing a solo trip up there this fall to bow hike.
Not a lot of deer in the UP. Cold and wolves have done them in. I would look at other parts of the state. The northern lower has good numbers.

bobinmi

WKR
Not a lot of deer in the UP. Cold and wolves have done them in. I would look at other parts of the state. The northern lower has good numbers.
I've already got access to a farm north of Grand Rapids. This would be more for the adventure than possibility of success. I can basically fill as many doe tags as I can get at the farm.

mcfd45

FNG
I've already got access to a farm north of Grand Rapids. This would be more for the adventure than possibility of success. I can basically fill as many doe tags as I can get at the farm.
Hell yea. Go for it.
i generally hunt in SE MI. I want to get a few friends to go with me to the northern lower and wall tent it during gun season.
not a lot of takers.

Brendan

WKR

I've spent a lot of time hunting areas like this, one of the things I love about Maine/NH/VT, still haven't killed a buck by tracking though.

They've got a podcast and some other films: