Overlooked hunts in the east

Those duck hunting opportunities will get me to the east coast one of these days. Sea duck hunting is bucket list for sure.
I'm in southeasterneastern NC. Waterfowling's a big part of our family history. Grew up hunting primarily Pamlico Sound and Core Sound. My first job as a field biologist was in Alberta with Ducks Unlimited Canada. It's in our blood. I have a brother guiding sea duck hunts out of Hobucken if you ever get over this way. He can put you in layout boats or a scissors rig.

My favorite east coast hunt is a week of archery whitetail in upstate NY every year with my dad near where I grew up - we’re not hunting trophies but it’s awesome to hunt with him and return to an area I love. Physically he’s past being able to join me on a western mountain hunt so we do the hunt that he can and we have a great time.

big woods of Maine is high on my list too.

Tradguy

FNG
My favorite east coast hunt is a week of archery whitetail in upstate NY every year with my dad near where I grew up - we’re not hunting trophies but it’s awesome to hunt with him and return to an area I love. Physically he’s past being able to join me on a western mountain hunt so we do the hunt that he can and we have a great time.

big woods of Maine is high on my list too.
I understand this so much. My dad is physically unable to big game hunt much anymore. If I was given the choice of shooting a new world record whatever or one more hunt where I kill nothing with my dad its not even a decision.

rayporter

WKR
arkansas -no reception and camp is out there, way out there.
07pYhDr.jpg

Jeff1980

FNG
Hell yea. Go for it.
i generally hunt in SE MI. I want to get a few friends to go with me to the northern lower and wall tent it during gun season.
not a lot of takers.

I’m not saying don’t do it but it’s been getting worse and worse every year. Opening day gun and the three days after this year I heard a total of 3 shots and two of them turned out to be neighbors missing. The buck poles up there have been going down in numbers as well. That said, I’ll hunt northern lower Michigan every year for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfd45

FNG
I’m not saying don’t do it but it’s been getting worse and worse every year. Opening day gun and the three days after this year I heard a total of 3 shots and two of them turned out to be neighbors missing. The buck poles up there have been going down in numbers as well. That said, I’ll hunt northern lower Michigan every year for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea. It can’t be worse than public land an hour from Detroit.

Cottontail hunting has significantly declined in the last 10 years in southern NY (my anticdotal experience). Where are you finding them?
Im located in western pa and we find rabbits in patches. One year they will be great in one spot and the next not so good. Usually, that means that last years bad spots will be better.
As for hare, we go to maine at least once a year.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Wichita Mountains Refuge elk hunt, it’s a super tough draw but it’s loaded with big bulls and tasty cows.

curious to hear more about hunting in Arkansas, and hunting with hounds for coon, bobcat, and bear in Ark? Anyone know if there are lots of bears, cats, or wild boars in the Boston Mountains

OXN939

WKR
The way the MD locals talk on their own Internet forums about this, you’d think Steve Rinella personally extirpated every last one of the sika deer, but I can assure you that there are still enough for quality public land hunting experiences.

VA Sika hunter here. Been doing it for about 5 years, and this was the first year I had to switch spots because guys were in places I had scouted. No problem, public land. Pick somewhere else.

Found two illegal stands during my hunt. Marked locations and reported them. Then ran into a guy looking for a blood trail from one he had gut shot who observed that "arrows with broadheads sure fly a lot differently than they do with practice points." Talked to a few of my buddies who live up there and hunt it more than I do. Their reports were similar.

I usually appreciate Steve's outlook on hunting and fishing in general, and think he's done a lot of net good for conservation. In this case, though, it sure looks a lot like he irreparably destroyed a resource in order to get views and make money.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the meat eater sika invasion lol. I've been hunting Dorchester county for 23 years and hunt with a buddy that is 7th generation in the area. It was getting pretty popular the last few years and its really blown up the last 2-3 years, I'm sure due in part to meat eater. I have no problem with it, its public land. It's not an easy hunt, and Rinella does a lot of good for conservation and hunting . DNR will hopefully continue to do a good job managing the resources. I know some people are enjoying increased lease prices, resale value of land (marsh that you cannot build on), renting out house to sika hunters, and an overall bump in tourism dollars.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
Hell yea. Go for it.
i generally hunt in SE MI. I want to get a few friends to go with me to the northern lower and wall tent it during gun season.
not a lot of takers.
Message me, let’s talk. I’m just south of traverse. Big plans and gear to do the same!

rayporter

WKR
ahhhh yes , arkansas laws. you cant hunt pigs unless a season is in and you must use the weapon of the season.

so just run em down on foot. after i tackled this one Marilyn screaming "her comes the mother" i tripped trying to mount because of the high weeds so i flung junior to her and hit the saddle.
P5zLklv.jpg

NY16ga

FNG
ahhhh yes , arkansas laws. you cant hunt pigs unless a season is in and you must use the weapon of the season.

so just run em down on foot. after i tackled this one Marilyn screaming "her comes the mother" i tripped trying to mount because of the high weeds so i flung junior to her and hit the saddle.
P5zLklv.jpg

I love it! We used to run 'em down like this when I was growing up in Florida.

A houseboat based deer/bear hunt on Lake Ouachita is on my list. Doing the houseboat part this September, but prior to the hunting seasons so I guess a striper trip is in order instead.
My family did a bunch of Ouachita houseboat summer trips when I was a kid. I had no idea some people would combine a hunt into such a trip. That sounds like a great idea.