Over Priced Things That Shouldn't Be?

2531usmc

WKR
Base layers are one of the main ones I see. Can find comparable Columbia, north face, under armor layers for less than big name camo layers typically. My guess is scale, but who knows.

one of the main distinctions I see is durability and longevity, which many people won’t use things enough to see the value in. Boots and bows come to mind. If you only use them 15 times a year you may not be able to see the difference compared to 180 days a year.

On the flip side…

Cabelas flies, particularly terrestrials, suck and aren’t worth a penny.

Original red and white daredevil spoons have caught me more pike than any red/white knock off for less.
Don’t forget the original Johnson Silver Minnows for pike!

Vote Democrat, hell yes I am going to raise taxes, restrict your movement (look up 15 min. Cities) Ban fossils fuels and everything that goes with them, replace you me and every other citizen with illegals, weaponize the DOJ and the list goes on. What was is no more and like sheep the people are lead to slaughter.

2531usmc

WKR
One factor that isn't talked about enough regarding the inflation we've seen during the Biden administration is the effect his ridiculous policies have had on fuel prices. Fuel prices contribute to increased costs up and down the line for everyone and the more each link in the chain of commerce pays for each gallon of fuel, the more the ultimate consumer has to pay for the product.
They like to talk about global warming and all the net zero plans, but these green policies are becoming a horrendous burden to the lower income citizens

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I get the supply/demand curve, inflation, increasing gas prices and the domino effect it has on prices, I get the politics side of it along with quality ideas.....

But to me. Plastic is still plastic....IMO a jug of water and the plastic it uses is still the same plastic of goose decoys. Yes the goose decoys are thicker, "more durable", paint, different dye, etc....but it's moldable plastic!

Child Care is another.....I work in education and we have a day care connected to it and it's basically the same amount of $$ as a full time job for a couple kids.

My wife and I both have good jobs, college educated, no debt except house, cars (and my obsessive hunting appetite). Our house isn't "extravagant", 2 story, 4 bedroom and 3 car garage, but our taxes are thru the roof, esp recently! And I feel like I'm living pay check to pay check!

I just don't get it and feel I'm being taken advantage of on so many things.

I don't understand raw material prices should be similar (plastic, metals, etc) to make goods and services. But why are things using similar materials, so darn different? And I get the cost of making materials, cost of labor, etc.

But why are some goose decoys so much more damn expensive than others? Why are Avian X decoys more $$ than GHGs of similar quality? Why are DSDs $100/decoy! They're freaking heavy, and I don't notice a difference when I've hunted over them compared to Dakotas, Big Feet, Hard Core, GHGs, Avians, etc!

MayDae

FNG
It's the profit margins. If there is a population of people willing to pay more for it, why not?

Yes as MayDay said its us when it comes to things like this, Sitka, Nightforce and such sporting equipment great quality and super high prices because we use it brag about it and claim just how fantastic it is. Is it really that great compared to other quality brand named items or are we just equipment brand whores that are taken advantage of. We turn our nose up at the hunter who uses say Vortex or Burris or sportsman guide clothing, but 9 out of 10 times that person is just as successful. Also it doesn’t hurt that there is a plan to crush the little guy to the point where they are busting there arse just to make ends meet.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Vote Democrat, hell yes I am going to raise taxes, restrict your movement (look up 15 min. Cities) Ban fossils fuels and everything that goes with them, replace you me and every other citizen with illegals, weaponize the DOJ and the list goes on. What was is no more and like sheep the people are lead to slaughter.
And no matter how bad things get, they'll all still vote the same way.

Chicken wings. Who ever marketed wings was a genius. Why are wings more expensive to buy at a grocery store than breasts? Answer: football season.
One dead chicken gives me 2 wings and 2 breasts... 2 breasts is a dinner for two.

2 wings is a small snack.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Sunglasses. I need prescription ones. Why are prescription oakleys 400 bucks? They are literally just plastic. I think 150 bucks is reasonable, but 400 dollars for something I’ll lose or break in a year or two is a lot.

Because of my geographical location, I’ve never been to a major sporting event (pro or college). We planned a visit to the in-laws around March Madness this year. Beers were $14. WHY ARE THE BEERS $14!?!?

Same with concerts, haven’t been to one with more than maybe a thousand people in over a decade. Last big concert was front row for AC/DC in 2010 and it cost $40. We have tickets to a concert in Tacoma this fall and lower bowl tickets ran us $300 each. Assuming that’s about the average price of a ticket, the place is brining in about $5-6 mil a concert plus beer, food, and merch. Unreal.

ewade07

WKR
Everything is overpriced. Food, restaurants, houses, vehicles, gas, you name it. Everything seems to have skyrocketed post Covid.

Speaking of chicken, I think it’s time for a meme!
Because of my geographical location, I’ve never been to a major sporting event (pro or college). We planned a visit to the in-laws around March Madness this year. Beers were $14. WHY ARE THE BEERS $14!?!?

Same with concerts, haven’t been to one with more than maybe a thousand people in over a decade. Last big concert was front row for AC/DC in 2010 and it cost $40. We have tickets to a concert in Tacoma this fall and lower bowl tickets ran us $300 each. Assuming that’s about the average price of a ticket, the place is brining in about $5-6 mil a concert plus beer, food, and merch. Unreal.
Concerts and concessions have gotten terrible. As much as I despise Pearl Jam's desire to throw politics in my face, I sure wish they would have stuck to their guns with Ticketmaster.

Specific to hunting, I feel like packs, sleeping bags, tents and clothes (sitka, first lite, etc) are all too high

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
Hunting companies producing in Vietnam and China while charging 300 - 600 percent markups is robbery. I don't care what the fuel prices are at. Being American Made, I am seeing a huge swing in companies that manufacture overseas price matching USA Made companies. Keep in mind, overseas manufacturing obviously costs 4-6 times less than here in the states.

Yet, people keep buying into the "hype" and it will only get worse as more and more of the younger generation becomes swayed by "influencers" telling them what to buy.

On another note. Many of us have to keep raising prices based on our raw materials going up, shipping of those raw materials going up, rent going up, utilities going up. It's a domino effect when it comes to producing goods. It starts at the top (our government), then it hits raw material manufacturers, then it hits finished product manufacturers, then it hits you...the consumer.

That's why it's important to buy American and go out and vote for people that want the country to be energy and economically independent from Asia and the Middle East.

I keep preaching it but people will go buy a bino harness made in Vietnam versus one of the several made stateside.

Last edited:

In general...

Ticket price pays for the event, concessions pay for the venue.

I agree, it's pretty insane, but how it breaks down is interesting.

In general...

Ticket price pays for the event, concessions pay for the venue.

I agree, it's pretty insane, but how it's breaks down is interesting.
We were at a minor league baseball game here in OKC the other day, work has a suite, a buddy went down to the bar to grab a couple margaritas for him and his wife...$20 apiece! I stuck to the free Coors lights in the suite