Over barrel suppressors

Bmhunts

FNG
I'm looking to get my first suppressor and in my search for info came across this type of suppressor. Over barrel suppressors seem to be pretty popular overseas but not so much here. Does anyone have experience with these, are they worth it or is it best to just get a normal one. The suppressor I get will be going on a 300 win mag I'll either chop to 20" or rebarrel as a 20" 7 prc. I'm looking for as much reduction in noise as I can get in the shortest over rifle length.

ElPollo

WKR
I have an AB Raptor 8-stack with an 3” reflex and like it a lot. But it’s my first suppressor, and I honestly don’t have enough experience with traditional suppressors to give you a thorough comparison. The 3” reflex on the 8-stack gives you basically a 6” can with the internal volume of a 7.5” can without adding the extra length. Raptors are modular such that you can use the can with the reflex or just a standard direct mount. The reflex seems to provide a noticeable decrease in noise and recoil over the normal direct mount. It adds a couple ounces to the can (6.3 oz without the reflex), but puts that weight behind the muzzle instead of in front of it. I’ve used the can on a 16.5” 6.5 Creedmoor and a 20” 300 WSM. I could give you my opinions on the can, but you are better off going to AB Suppressor’s YouTube channel and checking out some of the tests they’ve run with actual dB measurements.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I run both types here in NZ. Overbarrel are popular here and I believe a lot of early research into them happened in NZ.

From my use, I believe overbarell are not as quiet as those that put all the baffles and expansion chambers forward.

However, overbarrel tend to be shorter/thinner and if they have a rear bushing it provides two points of contact on the barrel (at muzzle thread and back a few inches on the barrel). This can make overbarrels potentially more durable against knocks that could put a can forward type out of alignment.

My two favorite suppressors are ASE Utra series (can forward) and A-Tec (overbarrel). Not sure you can get them in the US, but they are both Scandinavian and extremely quiet and durable.

If you are cutting a 300WM to 20" I think you should consider a smaller caliber like 308 or 7mm08 if you want 7mm. I suspect a 20" magnum will be pushing a big flame into the suppressor which can cause flame cutting of the baffles and shorten the life. You'll lose a lot of velocity vs. using a smaller caliber in that size barrel with suppressor, IMO.

I run 16" .223, 18" .308 and 22" standard lengths suppressed. The 18" .308 is compact, quiet and good performance at any reasonable hunting ranges most will encounter.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Can you even buy an over barrel suppressor in the states?

When I checked a few years ago you couldnt.

I haven’t actually seen one of these but one watch out depending on how they are built is watch your barrel profile. Are you planning on putting it on a bull barrel or a pencil thin/light carbon barrel. I would make sure they are compatible with all of these because one big difference is in some countries suppressors are almost a disposable item but here in the states you are pretty much married to it for life.

Stonia

FNG
I think these days if I was looking to buy a suppressor for a hunting rifle, I'd look hard at an integral barrel. I've been eyeballing SWS barrels for a while, but the current wait times are off-putting. Never used a reflex can. Used a 338 can on a Ruger Alaskan one time. While the length was manageable, the weight and POI shift with the suppressor attached was terrible.

Edit: granted this is an older 338 Lapua rated can on a 338 WM, so surely there are lighter options these days.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
02c220223f9ddff12be3e6c282e7ecc6.jpg

Last edited: