OTC unit vs 1 PP draw Unit

pcrossett

FNG
This is the sort of question that there is no real right answer to, but do you think you are better off hunting an OTC archery unit or going to a unit that only requires 1 PP?

I have a buddy who wants to come out with me this year for the first time and am kicking this question around. Leaning towards the 1 PP unit as that requires just slightly more work than pulling up to Ace Hardware and buying an OTC tag.

If he wants to come, you go for the unit that you both can get a tag for. I gather he doesn't have a point(s), so that answers the question? Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Holski

FNG
I had this dilemma last year. I had my buddy just draw a unit that had the possibility of drawing with 0-1 point. Feel like then it at least gets you away from people that make the OTC their last minute decision and stumble into your known area. Crap shoot but just my opinion try a draw unit.

OP
pcrossett

pcrossett

FNG
I had this dilemma last year. I had my buddy just draw a unit that had the possibility of drawing with 0-1 point. Feel like then it at least gets you away from people that make the OTC their last minute decision and stumble into your known area. Crap shoot but just my opinion try a draw unit.

That makes me feel better about my thought process and ensuring I am not completely crazy bouncing this idea around.

Having done one year in OTC and one in a 1-2 point draw, I definitely prefer the draw. We got into elk about the same number of times but saw larger herds in the draw unit. It is nice not coming up on another truck and literally almost every pull off.

I don’t know if this helps, but it is going to be harder and harder for non residents to get tags, especially draw tags…especially if Colorado goes all draw.

I’m the planner in my group of 4 and have basically laid out that the reality is we might only get one elk tag per year among the 4 of us if we want a tag every year for the group. If someone wants to hunt more often, they need to get their deer points for the years they don’t draw elk. Then we will mix in Wyoming every 5-6 years, again with only part of the group attempting to draw. Maybe throw an Idaho, NM, or MT hunt.

What matters in CO is tag allotment. A sh*t ton of 1 and even 2 point units have tag allotments that almost always result in leftover tags, meaning the units are essentially saturated with hunters. At least with OTC you can go to a different unit when your chosen area is filled up. With a draw tag, you're stuck in that unit.

Jaquomo

WKR
Depends on the unit. My home unit requires 0-1 but they give out 1100 archery tags, plus MLs and rifle bear hunters, the elk density is.low, hard to hunt with all the deadfall, and the success rate is lower that the adjoining units which are OTC. And hunters everywhere. If I couldn't hunt/scout it out my door in a few overlooked spots close to home, I would move to the adjacent OTC units just because there is so much more country to hunt. OTC CAN be crowded if you hunt popular places. But there are plenty of opportunities to hunt if you are mobile and think out of the box (ie..avoid the sheep at the trailheads)

Reactions: EVD