Colorado Unit 471 Camping Question

Thinking about hunting unit 471 OTC Archery this year. Anyone who has hunted there- does the dispersed camping along the main access roads/forest roads get packed with hunters to the point of it being tough to find a place to camp? I'd assume that it'd be a little more crowded towards the Aspen corner of the unit, but being that it's so small, I can also see how everything could potentially be a circus. I was looking more at the Lincoln Creek zone as a base camp.

Welcome to the forum. This is a good question for the area biologist/CO if you can get them on the phone.

My input: you can expect every flat area to have heavy hunter and non-hunter camping traffic, especially in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
It will be a circus. Seriously, get there a couple days early or you won’t have a spot. That’s OTC life.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Otc? Ge there 2 weeks early and spread your shit around a flat spot to hold it. 1 week early and everyone else will have spread their shit already! Day before? Sleep in your truck. 😂

OP
MountainFeral
Otc? Ge there 2 weeks early and spread your shit around a flat spot to hold it. 1 week early and everyone else will have spread their shit already! Day before? Sleep in your truck. 😂
I live in an OTC unit (86), and it's not that bad here. But, I'm on the north half of it, which is slightly less popular. That's why I was hoping to get a little insight on the camping situation in 471. I've got some off road/trail spots planned to scout for potential spike camps, but I still need a spot to park the truck where it can live legally for a few nights.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I live in an OTC unit (86), and it's not that bad here. But, I'm on the north half of it, which is slightly less popular. That's why I was hoping to get a little insight on the camping situation in 471. I've got some off road/trail spots planned to scout for potential spike camps, but I still need a spot to park the truck where it can live legally for a few nights.
I drove through an unnamed but popular otc unit last year. It was the 3rd week in August. I didn’t see a single person, but EVERY camp spot was taken. It was wild.

I agree though, probably depends on where you’re going but not a lot of otc units anymore that aren’t busy!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IIRC where you are inquiring about there actually is no dispersed camping until after the reservoir (IE you have to reserve a national forest campsite along that stretch) and it was rougher than your average forest service road. There are trailheads to park at but you can't camp at those.

OP
MountainFeral
IIRC where you are inquiring about there actually is no dispersed camping until after the reservoir (IE you have to reserve a national forest campsite along that stretch) and it was rougher than your average forest service road. There are trailheads to park at but you can't camp at those.
Exactly the sort of info I am looking for- thanks!

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
I dont really understand how so many people say otc is so packed… i have hunted/camped the past 5 seasons in more than 10 dif otc units and only once felt overwhelmed by truck/human #s. And filled tags. 🤷🏼‍♂️