Osso Buco!

cnelk

WKR
For years and years I’ve ground up the shanks of my deer or elk.

Well, finally I packaged them up this year and yesterday I made my first Osso Buco meal.

Ohhh My God….

Never again will I grind a shank.

Not knowing what to expect, I wanted to start simple so I lightly coated with seasoned flour and browned the pieces in butter/olive oil.

Then I put 2 cans of Progresso Vegetable Soup in the crockpot, added a diced onion and a small can of tomato paste.

Cooked Low for 8hrs until meat fell off the bone.

Delish!

B2489698-D201-44AC-AF99-82949E249219.jpeg96D2AE95-0C41-490B-816D-4166202F25C5.jpeg788D8AE2-A3F9-4FFC-97B2-743C5A6386A4.jpeg

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Love osso bucco! I had never thought to use vegetable soup before! That would help simplify the process. Another good option is to cut the shank meat into small cubes (think spoon sized), and then make them into stew meat. To cook, the process is similar to osso buco, you braise the meat till its tender.

Brown the meat lightly (1 elk shank, 2-3 deer) set aside, dice up 3 carrots, 2 celery rib, onion. Put all veggies together in a pan and cook on medium high till onions are brown. Put minced garlic in the last minute or so. Push veggies to side and add about a couple tbsp of tomato paste. Spread and cook till it bubbles a little, then mix with veggies. We then added some whiskey to "deglaze" the pan. Usually wine is used, but we had whiskey lol. Transfer to crockpot, add salt, pepper, bay leaf. Set on high for two hours (or till boiling), low on five hours, dice up a couple potatoes and put them in, leave crockpot on low for another hour and a half. When its about done, we melted 2 tbsp butter in a pan, added 1/4 cup flour and combined the two and added to the crockpot and mixed it in. Turned out really good, and saves storage space compared to a shank!

woods89

WKR
Yeah, it's good!

For some variety, try smoking a shank or two for a couple hours, cut in chunks, and then braising with some chili ingredients overnight. Pull the meat off the bones, add seasoning to taste, and add soaked beans if you like beans in chili. Give it another 3 hours or so in a crockpot, and you will have some of the best thick, hearty, smoky chili you've ever had.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yep. Some of my favorite dishes. I remove the shank from the bone when processing and wrap them as boneless shank. They take up a lot less room in the freezer and are damn good eating. Sometimes I think the elk marrow gives it a funky taste so I prefer not to risk it with the bone in.

Sirloin Tip roast will yield similar results too. Anything slow in a crock pot makes a great meal. I want to do a shredded meat for burritos. Not sure what yet.

i dry rub shanks overnight, put them on a hot grill for about 10 min, then into crockpot 6 hours with water, mustard, tomato (this is key for the acidity), whatever else is around in veggies. love the richness of shanks, unlike any of the lean cuts of venison.

LostArra

WKR
I think braised shanks regardless of recipe are the most consistently delicious cut on a game animal.
I don't cut mine into the osso buco disks but the result is the same.

Trisha Yearwood recipe with added mushrooms served over mashed potatoes or polenta/grits is killer. I sometime sub Rotel for the tomatoes.

I cringe when the others at my deer camp toss the front shanks. I love Osso Buco. The other great thing to do with them is barbacoa.

kbar

FNG
Were you able to eat the marrow out? This is a favorite cheap cut of mine at the store, wifey isn’t a fan though.

That looks fantastic! We cook a 'Mississippi" roast recipe that adds a jar of pickled sweet peppers and it's really, really good. May have to try that to some venison shank as well!

Lytro

WKR
Shanks and neck roasts have become the favorite cuts in our household over the last few years. It makes me feel a little silly that I used to grind both.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
What’d you use to cleanly cut thru the leg bone?
My question too. I tried a reciprocal saw and even after washing them off I had to spit out bone shards. Will go boneless next time unless there is a good solution other than buying a band saw.