Venison Birria, get you some

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nothing beats the full process, but if you want a cheat code for weeknights and be able to make these in 10 minutes, canned meat is the way. Hot pack in broth to get that pan sear flavor and have plenty of juice, then just heat up and throw them together the same way. Been making my own broth too and that takes those pot roast meals to another level. Good stuff!

20230624_182044.jpg20240101_171616.jpg

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Spice level? Looks tasty, just wondering if this is a me alone meal (I like spice :) ) or if the rest of the crew can handle it.
The guajillos don't have much kick at all, more so a subdued warmth. I'd serve these to someone who thinks ketchup is spicy with zero concern.

A nice diced jalapeño relish kicks it up a notch as a topper for those of us who like spicy

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Not sure how I missed this thread...this is my jam.

I've done birria a few times with venison. Along the way, I did a little bit of research on the dish and there seems to be some thought that birria was originally made with vension. My guess is that it was a way to cook the desert mule deer that can be a little tough/lean. It is also traditionally made with goat (same reasons).

The key for really good birria was to add some bones (usually beef or pork) bones to the broth while the meat is cooking as they give the consomme some body. The broth/consomme is what separates birria from barbacoa. Toasting all the chiles and roasting the onions further adds flavor and complexity.

I am just as happy to eat it as a stew as I am making tacos and dipping them in the consomme.
2fe471ccda9c92894c17373109219182.jpg
This was the first time using the crock pot instead of a Dutch oven on the stove, and not making our own roast veggie mix to throw in the processor, and we ended up with less consomme than normal, at least not enough for a big dipping cup. Flavor still exceptional, but not enough volume.

That was the only knock on this method, I agree 100% that a big old bowl of birria, non-taco form is about as good as it gets in the flavor department. Your final product looks to be a 10 outta 10 type meal.

@ianpadron if you had to be picky, how did you like the crockpot versus the Dutch oven?

I prefer the Dutch oven because I have had better "browning" with it than with our instantpot. I have not tried with a true crockpot though.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I
@ianpadron if you had to be picky, how did you like the crockpot versus the Dutch oven?

I prefer the Dutch oven because I have had better "browning" with it than with our instantpot. I have not tried with a true crockpot though.
Strong preference on the Dutch oven.

In fact... when i have the time, I usually go all out and smoke the roast plus tomatoes, peppers, onion, etc. on the pellet grill first...then sear the meat and blend the veggies...THEN put into the Dutch oven and let that simmer all day. Takes for freaking ever but the layers of flavor you can add with the smoke+sear is nuts.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
@30338 turned me onto this recipe:
Those look like the real deal. The short rib trick would likely work for deer too...might try it with a leftover shank I've got squirreled away for oso bucco.

The carrots are cool to see in that recipe. Growing up in a Mexican household I was taught to mix finely diced carrots into all of our ground taco meat and it really is a gamechanger. Bunch of grease soaked sweet carrots mixed with meat...c'mon man..hard to believe it's the same food as a raw crunchy carrot with very "meh" flavor.

Next time I whip up some of those modified picadillo tacos I'll post pics and a quick recipe. I think the birria gang on this thread will enjoy adding that one to their repertoire.

WKR
I'm gonna try a deer neck roast and some bear in this recipe this year. Its out of this world good though. Pics show start of slow cook, shredded meat, frying tacos and finished product. Cilantro, cholula, sour cream, lettuce, lime juice, cold beer. This was untrimmed deer shanks and a pound of beef ribs.

Attachments

• IMG_4096 (1).jpg
    IMG_4096 (1).jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4097 (1).jpg
    IMG_4097 (1).jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4099 (1).jpg
    IMG_4099 (1).jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4100 (1).jpg
    IMG_4100 (1).jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 18

z987k

WKR
Got the consomme right this time around with the crockpot.

Added an extra can of tomato sauce and some extra whole tomatoes, seemed to do the trick.

The grass fed butter really does wonders for the stock....so rich!
View attachment 669229
Looks like you're still missing 1 step.

When you're done in the crockpot there should be a nice thick layer of fat on top. Take a spoon and carefully skim that off into a bowl or something you can save for later.

When you go to fry the shells, first warm that fat up so it's liquid, and dip the shells in it, then fry them in that fat. The shells should come out kinda red from the little bit of consume that ended up in the fat bowl.

Oh, also, use fire roasted tomatoes.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Looks like you're still missing 1 step.

When you're done in the crockpot there should be a nice thick layer of fat on top. Take a spoon and carefully skim that off into a bowl or something you can save for later.

When you go to fry the shells, first warm that fat up so it's liquid, and dip the shells in it, then fry them in that fat. The shells should come out kinda red from the little bit of consume that ended up in the fat bowl.

Oh, also, use fire roasted tomatoes.
The torts are always fried in a tbsp of the grease, they're definitely red in the pics. Best part for sure

I like to smoke the veggies then hit em with open flame when I have the time, otherwise it's just straight into the crockpot and blend em once the meat is done.

Macintosh

WKR
I never knew what to officially call it, but this has been a favorite for years!!

Question: we’re in a bit of a crisis in my house, as we’ve recently run out of all the dried guajillos that we carted back the last time I was in NM. They cannot be obtained locally as I live on the other side of the solar system from anywhere that likes mexican food. Anyone have a recommendation for decent dried chiles that can be ordered? Im suspicious of some of what I see online and dont know any specific brands, etc.