Oregon cascade general elk rifle

Woodfire

FNG
Putting together a hunt for me and my brother. Opinions on building camp deep inside wilderness boundary or trailhead camping to be more mobile. Season runs 12-18.

I'd "Scout" the area first then, decide ! We always Camp at, least a 1/2 mile from,.. where, the Elk, "are" !
Good luck !

The other consideration of logging road access. I have a hard time hiking into places. It seems like I find a great spot walk 1/4 mile and find road access, the a road hunter drives by me and waves 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
W

Woodfire

FNG
How close to the season opener are you hiking in there to scout?

General Archery is 8/24-9/24 so anytime after that please 😂

In all seriousness... I usually go once a week for like a month before season...

Swede

WKR
Very few elk are being killed off Forest Service land in the Cascades. I would hunt lower down on private forest land. Still the success rate is poor, but it beats terrible.

Swede

WKR
Actually I did not consider Weyerhaeuser. I was thinking about farther south, or other foothill areas. I used to live in the Cascades (Toketee Falls and Ripplebrook near the Clackamas River) and work for the Forest Service. Elk numbers have really dropped off since they quit cutting timber. The feed is minimal. You might try close to some recent burns, but the people I talk to are pretty discouraged. People are seeing elk closer to the farms now.

OP
W

Woodfire

FNG
Wow. Likewise I work for the usfs and did out of dlrd. So u understand what I'm talking g about.

OP
W

Woodfire

FNG
I'm out of Jacksonville siskiyou mountains was there for the past 5 years

Swede

WKR
Woodfire, I think you might have a better than average chance going just east of Medford alright. At least I have seen sign around there when I have been out deer hunting.
I also worked out of Gold Beach years ago. Good times on the Rogue.

ace4

FNG
The other consideration of logging road access. I have a hard time hiking into places. It seems like I find a great spot walk 1/4 mile and find road access, the a road hunter drives by me and waves
My dad and I did this last year. We were hiking up a steep slope and my dad was ready to call it quits. right as we got to the top of the ridge a truck drives by. It pays to know what is accessible and what isn't before you hike in for 5 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk