Rain Gear

cfdjay

WKR
In a quandary. Right now my rain gear set up is Sitka Dew Point jacket and Stone Glacier M5 pant. A couple weeks ago was the first time they were really "tested". I think most rain gear is just fine for soggy days and drizzle but these past couple weeks bear hunting wasn't that. Thick trails with snow covered growth, heavy rains and overall wet days. I might as well have not even worn the stuff. I was soaked to the bone and thankful I brought my stove to dry out a little. There is one possibility that it was worse from sweating but I wasn't sweating THAT much. (My girl was wearing Kuiu Kutana pants and she was dry as a bone and loved them.). So, what's been your guys experience?

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
This is what stops me from buying a good set of rain gear. It seems like the goretex types never actually keep you dry in any type of real rain. And they are sooo expensive.

Interested in the responses.

I run kuiu kutana and yukon sets.

This spring i turkey hunted 21 days and was in my raingear most if not all of those days. My kutana set gets the nod for warmer weather. I crawled and walked through tall wet grass daily and was comfortable and dry. In heavy exertion in warm humid conditions you are gonna sweat and feel damp.
The kutana drys quickly and does not wet out. I was in greenbriar and deadfall daily. This is the toughest raingear i have ever owned.

My yukon is more for stationary treestand hunting for deer. It seems bobproof to me but heavier than the kutana.

As with all kuiu gear i sized up a full size and fit and function are perfect.

I have owned just about every latest and greatest rain gear on the market for the past 30 years. I spent thousands of dollars and sold it all. Now with my kuiu im done looking. 100% satisfied

Following...recently picked up the dew point system from Sitka based on a lot of good reviews. Disappointing to hear it didn't perform well in a situation you really needed it.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
This video does a pretty good job of explaining the problems with modern rain gear.

I do a lot of backpacking in the off-season and have been pretty happy with the marmot precip jacket over a diy 90 weight merino long sleeve with chest zipper I cut into a t-shirt. The shirt has a huge neck hole when you unzip the chest zipper down, and then I cut long slits up each side, bout two inches up from the bottom to the arm pits to help with air flow. Got the idea for it after watching that video. Condensation still happens, even with the jacket pit zips wide open, but it's usually not noticeable. I'm fortunate to live in a pretty low humidity, cool climate which helps, too.

Idagnome

FNG
Everything is a trade off of breathability to waterproofing. I find I like an OR jacket that has pit zips running all the way down the torso. For rain pants, I go low tech and wear Frog Toggs. I’m enormously happy for the price and just as dry/wet as my friends with fancy brand rain pants. The fit is comical, but the price is unbeatable and performance is as good as any fancy rain pants I’ve tried.

Antique0s

FNG
I bought Cabela's Gortex Guide Wear back in 2005. It was $200 for the jacket and $200 for the bibs. I'm still wearing it fishing and turkey hunting.
Quality rain gear pays for itself the very first time that you're in a downpour.

Buy the best rain gear that you can afford.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
In a quandary. Right now my rain gear set up is Sitka Dew Point jacket and Stone Glacier M5 pant. A couple weeks ago was the first time they were really "tested". I think most rain gear is just fine for soggy days and drizzle but these past couple weeks bear hunting wasn't that. Thick trails with snow covered growth, heavy rains and overall wet days. I might as well have not even worn the stuff. I was soaked to the bone and thankful I brought my stove to dry out a little. There is one possibility that it was worse from sweating but I wasn't sweating THAT much. (My girl was wearing Kuiu Kutana pants and she was dry as a bone and loved them.). So, what's been your guys experience?
All rain gear uses the same technology and is made in the same 2 factories in Asia. My experience with breathable rain gear has been good. If your wife was dry in the same conditions it’s probably user error.

dtrkyman

WKR
If your gal was dry in the Kutana I would say start there.

And make sure you put them on properly:ROFLMAO:

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from Chugach to Kutana last year. Quite a step up in warmth and durability, but slightly less stretch. Overall very happy with their performance so far.

My experience on the coast here, always dealing with wet conditions and many long days of constant rain has been the only rain gear that holds up long term is kuiu Yukon and kutana, most fail miserably extremely fast

I think most rain gear is very vulnerable to getting pinholes, like a couple hours of hunting in the brush will kill a lot of high end rain gear

I don’t care for most kuiu stuff, but their rain gear and gaiters are excellent, though you can get a bad piece from them too that leaks before it’s time

Their original chugach was my very favorite, that was about perfect, but when they released the chugach nx it got a lot more fragile and I had to move to the Yukon

Best case with the best gear on the market, I still don’t generally get 2 full seasons out of it, but usually close

Most of the rain gear on the market is dead inside a week though, so a year and a half is a lot better than most

I bought Cabela's Gortex Guide Wear back in 2005. It was $200 for the jacket and $200 for the bibs. I'm still wearing it fishing and turkey hunting.
Quality rain gear pays for itself the very first time that you're in a downpour.

Buy the best rain gear that you can afford.
The problem here is that you don’t get what you pay for with hunting rain gear, most expensive gear dies fast