Optic rec for varmint (mostly coyote) on an AR 5.56

I'm new to hunting and want to use my AR for some coyote. Would like to be able to reach out to 200-300 yards but also not be limited on a closer shot. Was thinking some sort of LPVO as I'd like it serve also as a self defense weapon (can I have it do both?).

What would you run for this? Would like to not spend over $500, lower would obviously be better.

Dr. Zeus

FNG
I have a vortex razor gen ii 1-6. It's nice but over the budget you described. My brother in law just bought the vortex venom 1-6. They are usually around 300 bucks and are considered the best budget lpvo. I looked through it a couple of times and liked it.

As far as lpvo vs. something higher like a 3-9, it all depends on your environment. I live in iowa, where the hunting environment usually consists of farm fields and wooded fingers. When the crops are in or if you're limited to a small shooting window, definitely an lpvo. The variable zoom is nice for longer shots and target identification, better than a red dot w/ magnifier for a general purpose ar15.

My brother inlaw before he bought his lpvo, had a 3-9 on his ar, a coyote came hopping through the crp about 20 yards from us, my brother inlaw couldn't even find it in his scope while I was able to shoot it on the move, he went and bought that venom later that day lol.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Dr. Zeus

FNG
And as far as using your ar15 as a general purpose/self defense/hunting rifle. Yes, you can. But I wouldn't be using an sbr or ar pistol. I would stick with a longer barrel. A longer barrel length will achieve higher velocities. Preferably a 16" mid length gas or 18" rifle length gas for a GPR, while in my opinion I would keep the 20" for a dedicated hunting rifle. Try to keep your 16/18" rifle as short as possible by mounting a k can on it.

Depending on your rifling, I would experiment with different loads of varmint rounds that compare to the .556 ammo you have stocked up.

Buy a 20 round or smaller magazine to make shooting prone if the situation presents itself, easier and more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk