Optic options for long range shooting

Getting started in the long range shooting/hunting world and looking for input on optics to help me dial in my rifle. I would like to have a quality optic so my spotter can help me dial in my zero and help judge dial adjustments for long shots. Not looking to spend a small fortune but willing to lay down cash for something that makes sense and meets the need. The Athlon Ares G2 20-60x85mm currently has my attention.

drh2687

FNG
Without knowing your actual intended distances for your "long range", I'd offer this general advice:

Sacrifice magnification for glass quality if you have to in order to stay in your budget. You can get out to 1000 yrds with 10x mag for just shooting (hunting/PID requirements will likely be different), so a 20x scope and higher is may not be needed and can help your $ goals. And you'll find the clearer image to be more useful.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
If this is strictly for long range shooting I would consider the Longshot LR-3. No need for a spoter, no mirage issues, and instant feedback with your shot. Helps tremendously figuring out drop and how your doing with wind calls.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
I think that athlon has a second focal plane reticle, which is really stupid because the reticle only works on one magnification. Leupold mark 4 is probably the top choice, or one of the bushnell spotters like the lmss2.

tntrker

WKR
I like my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50. At the range I reach out to 1,000yrds with my 300wm and have no problem seeing the target or the impact.

I like my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50. At the range I reach out to 1,000yrds with my 300wm and have no problem seeing the target or the impact.
I've been a NF ATAC-R guy for a long time, and I'm thinking about selling once of my 5-25s, or a 7-35s to try the NX8 just to shave a little weight. I'm just not sure what I'll end up giving up optically. Have you had experience behind both by chance?

tntrker

WKR
I've been a NF ATAC-R guy for a long time, and I'm thinking about selling once of my 5-25s, or a 7-35s to try the NX8 just to shave a little weight. I'm just not sure what I'll end up giving up optically. Have you had experience behind both by chance?
I do not. The only reason I have the NF is because my Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 broke on the last shot of my last weekend before a moose hunt and I was scambling to get something. I like it better so the fixed VX-6HD sits in the safe..

I do not. The only reason I have the NF is because my Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 broke on the last shot of my last weekend before a moose hunt and I was scambling to get something. I like it better so the fixed VX-6HD sits in the safe..
Thanks for response, sorry to hear about your Leupold. I will say my ATAC-Rs have been bomb proof, I'm lucky to say I've never had a failure.