Opossums eating ticks

As a trapper, I always skun and fleshed whatever possums I would catch because they have paper thin flesh and makes excellent practice. I don't kill them on purpose though.

We had three free range ducks in the yard and had almost no ticks that year. An otter got all three and most of the chickens by fall though. I leave most animals like possum alone unless they start showing up in the daytime which can indicate rabies or other disease. Any animals like this during daylight hours get shot. We have had two sick raccoon over the last few years stumbling around during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind that just because an animal is out during the day doesn’t mean it has rabies or some other disease like distemper. Sometimes it’s a female looking for food growing babies or an animal that might have got kicked out of where it was staying. Not saying they shouldn’t be shot just don’t assume they have rabies or are sick. We have had many tested that we caught that came back negative

It's claimed that a wild turkey will eat up to 200 ticks a day. How many turkey eggs does a 'possum go through in a spring?

Just a thought... :D
Turkey are on daytime patrol. Possums run the nightshift. #teamworkmakesthedreamwork

Guinea fowl!!! They do a good job of avoiding predators, especially if you have several... but they can be noisy.

We had a momma oppossum under our patio before we converted it to concrete. I lifted up a deck board to get a better look because my dog was going crazy. Dumb luck but I lifted up the correct deck board on the first try and there was momma with 13 babies hanging on her back. They left during the night thankfully.

We had three free range ducks in the yard and had almost no ticks that year. An otter got all three and most of the chickens by fall though. I leave most animals like possum alone unless they start showing up in the daytime which can indicate rabies or other disease. Any animals like this during daylight hours get shot. We have had two sick raccoon over the last few years stumbling around during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
possums apparently almost never get rabies, probably due to a lower body temperature than most other mammals

Back