Opinions on mounting a whitetail vs just a skull mount

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took pretty a decent buck here at home recently. Pics are in the whitetail section of forum under South Carolina Buck.

My hunting buddies tell me I should get him mounted since he has wide spread. I am happy with the deer but the tine length looks a little disproportionate and doesn't seem to me to make for a better looking mount than the couple I have already.

I like the skull mounts-I have a few of those already.

Please tell me your opinion. I do not consider myself a trophy hunter but I like antlers as much as the next guy I just don't want a bunch of deer shoulder mounts unless they are truly exceptional.

I do euro's and pop 'em onto a cottonwood burl. Works for me.....

IMG_5027_zpsa8b25f3d.jpg

IMG_5028_zps659b2e03.jpg

IMG_5038_zps30cef160.jpg

Cotton wood burls are pretty awesome I'm going to have to get some. I've went with euro mounts because of low ceilings and they just take less wall space

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree that if you are really on the fence about it but lean toward liking euro mounts there is nothing wrong with that. I like a good shoulder mount as much as the next guy but in the end it comes down to what you like best. I looked at your buck pics and it is a nice buck for sure. FOR ME, if I took that deer this season, I would euro mount it.

I just looked at your pics and I personally think the wide short tined racks make the best euros.

Congrats on a great buck!

I have a few shoulder mounts, but doubt I will get anymore. Have done several euro's over the last few years and I like the way they look, the cost and my wife prefers them over shoulder mounts.

Shoulder mounts are about the Walmartiest looking thing since the butt out tool. Never been a fan. Not that I have a shed full of racks, but the only way I'd have one done is if it was SO big that taxidermists were begging to do it for free.

I only do Euro mounts, but I am a diy kind of guy. If I could do a shoulder mount myself I'd deff go that route . If I am paying for one..... I'll always have euros ha ha.

I really appreciate the responses.

I'll make a trip to see taxidermist to look at the deer again. He did a euro mount for me before and was waaay cheaper than a shoulder mount. If I could go back in time I would like not have mounted a couple of mine and would ave this guy mounted instead.

Thanks again for all the feedback

The thing with a shoulder mount...it has to be well done. Tremendous difference between a $300 high production studio mount vs. the work of a true artist. A good shoulder mount has nice clay work and finishing so that you feel like you are looking at a living animal, truly a beautiful piece of art.

That said, I have 3 whitetail shoulder mounts, and really only have room for 1 or 2 more before my man cave reaches what I would consider "tacky" level. I do love a good Euro mount, especially on dark antlered bucks with good mass. At this point in my life I don't want a full scale trophy room, just a nice living room to showcase a few and still be comfortable to my family and non hunting guests. So I am saving those spots on the wall for some pretty high standards. Obviously your question is a personal one but that is my thought process.

I don't have a lot of room so I done euro on the last good one I killed.
Another thing to consider is in the future you can always get a cape and have it mounted if you do euro if you change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back