What to do with a broken euro mount of a small buck

jayhawk

WKR
Saw this online and thought it would look good for your skull. Rustic and looks very good I think

Attachments

• DCA26477-DFAD-4DEE-B520-43D8EB44702C.jpeg
    DCA26477-DFAD-4DEE-B520-43D8EB44702C.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw this online and thought it would look good for your skull. Rustic and looks very good I think
I do like that and I probably have some wood pieces lying around to do something similar. Thanks for posting this.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Related and not worth a new thread. Just unpacked this smashed-to-f*** bull out of a UPS ground box. I paid $435 for shipping alone.

The right pedicle grew deformed, swept inward with a hint of a drop brow tine, and is pretty cool so I want to hang onto this skull. That means repairing it.

I would not call myself a wealthy man. Any tips? DIY? Try to get the packer or shipper to pay for an local east coast taxidermist to repair it?

bullmount1.jpeg
bullmount2.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Related and not worth a new thread. Just unpacked this smashed-to-f*** bull out of a UPS ground box. I paid $435 for shipping alone.

The right pedicle grew deformed, swept inward with a hint of a drop brow tine, and is pretty cool so I want to hang onto this skull. That means repairing it.

I would not call myself a wealthy man. Any tips? DIY? Try to get the packer or shipper to pay for an local east coast taxidermist to repair it?

View attachment 487580
View attachment 487581
Lots of Elmer's glue. There's also a fast set moldable epoxy

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 487580
View attachment 487581
That sucks and sorry it happened. Have a local museum nearby? Someone there might be willing to pieces this back together for a small few. For strength, epoxy works really well for pulling skulls back together.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys. After those responses I actually I think all three options wouldn't be terrible:

1. Repair as well as possible myself (with the right adhesives, I will do a good job)
2. Enlist the help of a local museum taxidermist
3. Leave it smashed to f***

Regarding #2, I hadn't even thought of that and I might have a contact at the American Museum of Natural History. Will report if I make HEADWAY (puns make me feel better).

JeffP_Or

WKR
You guys might take a look at some of the taxidermy supply houses - their repro euros may be a bit better quality and more natural looking than a Mike's or whatever. Mackenzie and Matuskas come to mind - I have no affiliation nor have I tried to use an aftermarket one.
Just another option out there.