Opinions on Moon phases during archery season?

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to get some of your opinions out there on moon phases during archery season for elk. Have you guys found during the moonless nights that the elk tend to feed more during the day because of lack of light and vice versa as far as full moons and then not a lot of activity the following morning because they were able to feed at night with light to get around? Never have given it much thought until reading an article recently.

brewer427

WKR
It seems like for me that when there is a full moon there has been less activity through the day. Now that being said I've been in the woods, with a full moon that night, the rut was going full swing and had non stop activity for most of the day. I'm no expert by any means but that's kind of been my experience. I've never really researched the effects the moon has on elk. But it seems to me the weather has more of a effect on kicking the rut off, but again I don't know.

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with the moon is decreased activity leading up to the rut and increased after. When the new moon comes in September I have been told by a very cagey 80 year old elk hunter that it triggers the rut. He has over 60 elk to his credit and the experience I gleaned from him has worked for me. The rut starts with a +/-3 day window of the full moon, usually between the 15th and 25th of Sept. Last fall it started the day after. Who knows, may be a wives tale but I'll keep following it.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that you will drive yourself crazy trying to correlate the moon. I've seen and heard it every which way. I think pressure and weather have more affect on daytime activity than the moon does. If you are planning a bugling bull hunt, plan for mid-late Sept and forget about the moon.

I pay no attention to it really. I've seen it both ways and will always plan on the best dates in general.

littlebuf

Banned
Another here that pays it no mind. Only advantage I see to the full moon is I can hike without a head lamp in the morning

amp713

WKR
I dont overly focus on it but i do notice alot less movement in the day after clear sky full moon nights.... But in utah you are archery elk hunting in August soo.......

bz_711

WKR
I've read enough accounts on both sides. Personally I pay just enough attention to it as it might help me decide which week I go - and this is more based on my whitetail experience. If full moon is at night, I've seen decreased daylight activity compared to daytime activity during a dark night...only seems logical if the animals have full site capabilities vs. limited at night...again, more related to whitetails.

In my limited Elk experience - 4 seasons at 5 days each season - it appears to be similar from what I have seen. But it's only one piece of the pie - weather & temps play a big part as well. I would never stay home because of the moon, but again, I do look at it for planning for days off work.

I don't know, it seems like we've killed elk the past couple years right around the full moon. Elk moving around mid-day. So I don't know how much stock to put in moon theories. But yeah, I still look at the "hunt/fish" calendar on my Garmin and get excited when I see it's going to be excellent for hunting or fishing!

OP
A

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys. I have never paid much attention to it in the past but the article got me curious and I had to throw it out there to get some feedback. Thanks again. T-minus 7 months. Can't wait!

My experiences have been, if it is a full moon, hunt mid-day. Elk and deer alike, on nights with full moon, can see well enough with the limited light, to spot a predator in the woods. Thus leading them to bed early instead of waiting for sunrise to head to bed. They will get up mid-day to water, grab a snack, try for a girlfriend. The rut has a lot to do with how "stupid" they become. They can and will do things that will defy logic, but this is the general rule I have followed for years.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I want to be out hunting the same dates regardless of moon phase. So I don't even pay attention to it. Temperature has been a bigger factor for us.

I don't believe the moon phase affects the timing if the rut but it does influence how early they go back to their beds and when they start moving in the evening. I find they are up and moving much earlier during a no moon phase vs full moon phase, all else equal.

I was able to spend some time with Corey Jacobson and asked him about it. His impressions:

Hunt the dates that you want regardless of the moon. If it happens that the moon is full on your trip his thoughts are that you will see less movement and activity in the morning because elk are up more through the night and early to bed HOWEVER he feels that because they hit their beds earlier mid-day activity is increased because animals get restless quicker and need/want to get up.

Whisky

WKR
What are some good mid day tactics, full moon second week of Sept and the rut isn't really cranked up yet???

Hunt the third week? :)

Sit wallows, cold call on edges of bedding areas, ambush on travel path to and from feeding areas and generally be in the woods. Can't kill them at camp.

Intruder

FNG
It is something that I can't control so I don't concern myself w/ it much. Many other factors are more important IMHO. If it comes down to that being the last variable maybe I'd be more inclined to hunt the darker phases but in the end it is a minor consideration.

OP
A

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the information guys. It was at the bottom of my list as far as the hunt goes but was curious on what you guys thought. We have always just picked 8 days and hunted (Non-resident and travel time to Colorado) usually towards the end of the September. It sucks only having those eight days to hunt but it is what it is for us. Someday I will be a resident of Colorado and can hunt the entire season!