Cow v. bull elk in archery season: Which is easier?

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,
I am a late-blooming but very dedicated hunter planning to head out to the same unit I've hunted in Colorado for the fourth time, hopefully with a mule deer tag in my pocket. I am feeling pretty good about this year, after having a good end to last season. I am about to put in my application for an archery tag, and keep turning over a couple questions in my head. I figured I would consult the wisdom of the crowd.
  1. Is it overly ambitious to put in for an elk tag too? The archery season for elk overlaps with mule deer. Part of me thinks I should focus 100 percent on the buck tag, since I have more confidence and experience with them. Another part of me would rather have the tag just in case. I can also take a lot of time off this year, which won't be true for the next two or three because of family stuff, which affects my thinking.
  2. Are cows easier to hunt than bulls? If I were to pick up an elk tag, I would be over the moon to get in stalking range of any elk -- I have hunted elk once and got my ass handed to me. I have heard and read conflicting things about whether it's harder to chase cows or bulls during archery season. It seems like with cows outnumbering bulls by around 9 to 1 and facing less pressure, they would be easier to hunt, like holding a doe tag rather than a buck tag. But some have told me that the fact that bulls come to calls actually makes them easier to hunt than cows.
If those of y'all who have a lot of experience wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts, I would be grateful. Thanks as always.

If you want to kill a buck focus on that- archery is always tough to split species.

Even though they may be in the same unit they will usually be in different areas, and different hunting techniques.

If you don’t care then get both and Chase whatever you come across. Many archery deer hunts have been ruined by bugling elk!

On OTC elk units calling bulls is tough. Cows may be easier as mentioned by numbers being more. Don’t pass a calf/yearling either since they are probably the easiest and tasty!

On hard to draw trophy units young bulls are easier to call in, but that’s due to lack of pressure. OTC not so much

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to kill a buck focus on that- archery is always tough to split species.

Even though they may be in the same unit they will usually be in different areas, and different hunting techniques.

If you don’t care then get both and Chase whatever you come across. Many archery deer hunts have been ruined by bugling elk!

On OTC elk units calling bulls is tough. Cows may be easier as mentioned by numbers being more. Don’t pass a calf/yearling either since they are probably the easiest and tasty!

On hard to draw trophy units young bulls are easier to call in, but that’s due to lack of pressure. OTC not so much
Thanks, this is helpful! Yes, the buck is the priority, no question -- not least because at this point I'm sure it would be at least as much skill as luck, and skill is what I'm after.

cnelk

WKR
I’d focus on the buck tag (since that’s your main goal)
Then you’ll get some good intel on elk for a future hunt.
You may find out that the area may be void of elk.

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I’d focus on the buck tag (since that’s your main goal)
Then you’ll get some good intel on elk for a future hunt.
You may find out that the area may be void of elk.
With two people telling me this, it's starting to sink in as the obvious choice. I do know there's plenty of elk in the unit, but not necessarily in the places where I know mule deer bucks hang out. Thanks for the input!

rclouse79

WKR
I have had more opportunities at cows. Elk is my focus, but I always like having a deer tag in my pocket too. It is real easy to switch gears when you see a big four point mule deer through the trees. Last year I got an itchy trigger finger and killed a dink deer. I was kicking myself during rifle when I found a couple tanks on my sons hunt.

Last edited:
OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I agree........now your guaranteed to have cows at 10yards.
Haha -- been there with black bear while elk hunting, hogs while squirrel hunting... It definitely colors my thinking

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I have had more opportunities at cows. Elk is my focus, but I always like having a deer tag in my pocket too. It is real easy to switch gears when you see a big four point mule deer through the trees. Last year I got an itchy trigger finger and killed a ding deer. I was kicking myself during rifle when I found a couple tanks on my sons hunt.
Thanks for the input -- and hope your misfortune at least worked out well for your son!

I would focus on the deer, but if the elk tag was OTC or a 0/1point draw, might be worth it since you have the time.
I must be in the minority but my bull/cow opportunities are probably 3 to 1.

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I would focus on the deer, but if the elk tag was OTC or a 0/1point draw, might be worth it since you have the time.
I must be in the minority but my bull/cow opportunities are probably 3 to 1.
Thanks! It's an easy to draw unit -- I'd be more worried about sinking in the cost for the NR tag.

What do you think accounts for your higher opportunities on bulls?

I’ve hunted both elk and deer in same season and didn’t enjoy it. The locations and techniques were too different and I was doing neither one right when trying to hunt both.

That said, once when I only had an elk tag I had a buck and a bull within bow range and within 100 yds of each other…just for a second it would have been nice to have both tags 🙂. But I still only focus on one now

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted both elk and deer in same season and didn’t enjoy it. The locations and techniques were too different and I was doing neither one right when trying to hunt both.

That said, once when I only had an elk tag I had a buck and a bull within bow range and within 100 yds of each other…just for a second it would have been nice to have both tags 🙂. But I still only focus on one now
Ha! That's my big fear. Thanks!

Thanks! It's an easy to draw unit -- I'd be more worried about sinking in the cost for the NR tag.

What do you think accounts for your higher opportunities on bulls?
Probably a combination of that’s what I’m looking for and my tactics.
In archery, it’s easier to call bulls in. Late rifle I’m looking in the nasty places where bulls hunker down, cows are usually in different areas. I just don’t come across a lot of cows. I also only hunted CO once… and killed a cow 😂 so who knows