Opinions on Bino and Rangefinder please.

Titan34

FNG
I am look ing to buy a new set of 10 × 42 binos and a rangefinder. 1500 budget for both combined. I mainly deer hunt in mi and oh. Open to all brands.

Radams406

FNG
Maven makes some good optics in your budget range. I would check out the sig rangefinders as well.

Sportsmans has/had the Sig 1800BDX on sale for $180. I was looking to upgrade my Leupold 1000, so I jumped on it and have been very happy.

I LOVE the Leupold Santiam HD binos. Glass is amazing. They are made in japan if that matters to you. I also have some 12x50 BX4 Proguides that are awesome (also made in Japan). Vortex Viper and Razor HD are both good options, but made in china now. The UHD is made in Japan.

I always avoid European glass ever since I had to deal with their customer service. They ship those things back to the mother land and it can take forever.

Rich M

WKR
I have a leupold 1200 rangefinder that I got on closeout in 2017 and it is great.

As for the glass. Meopta, Zeiss, Leupold, etc. all work. You need to go try the glass in person. I think I tried 12-15 diff brands before I bought mine. Some just feel better.

2 years later my buddies bought $175 binoculars and theirs were easier to see bedded mule deer with. I was humbled with how much glass improves every year as new models come out. Still a great set of binoculars, just not "the best".

Go and try them. You'll know the one you want when you look thru it.

Having used the bino/rangefinder combo for a hunt, I cant believe everyone doesn't do that.

For $1500 you'd barely squeak in a good set of glass, so if you aren't going to get top 3 glass, then just go combined and get the Sig 3000. Pretty cool unit, but the glass isn't that great.

Otherwise I'd get the Swarovski SLC 10x40 at the best price you can find and then get a cheap or no rangefinder until you can save up for a decent one.

nobody

WKR
Sig Rangefinder

Maven B1 Binos

Sig makes the most consistent rangefinder on the market by far. When I bought my rangefinder a few years back, I went to a gun shop and emptied their cabinet of every brand of rangefinder, every tier they make. Leupold had some serious variances from the low to high end, same with vortex and nikon. But the Sig rangefinders gave identical ranges whether it was the cheap one or the expensive one. Their cheap end gave me the same range as the expensive one, at the same speed. The only difference was the max range. Buy a Sig and don't look back.

Maven binos speak for themselves. Buy the B1's and you'll have a lifetime pair of binos. These leave you with a few hundred bucks left afterwards for another tag this fall!

ODB

WKR
Buy the swaro EL 8x32s (you sure you need 10x?) in the classifieds for 950 and a vortex ranger.

easy.

OP
T

Titan34

FNG
Sportsmans has/had the Sig 1800BDX on sale for $180. I was looking to upgrade my Leupold 1000, so I jumped on it and have been very happy.

I LOVE the Leupold Santiam HD binos. Glass is amazing. They are made in japan if that matters to you. I also have some 12x50 BX4 Proguides that are awesome (also made in Japan). Vortex Viper and Razor HD are both good options, but made in china now. The UHD is made in Japan.

I always avoid European glass ever since I had to deal with their customer service. They ship those things back to the mother land and it can take forever.
The sale is over... POOP

rmekus

Lil-Rokslider
I would second if using off hand and not on tripod 8x binos are awesome. I find the increased field of view and slightly less magnification works very well hand held.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That is a great budget to be working with! One option would be the Razor HD 4000 rangefinder and pair that up with a Razor HD 8x42 set of binos. For the Midwest where you are hunting that combo would do everything you need it to and more! That's my current setup for here in Wisconsin.

Another option would be looking at a set of rangefinding binoculars like the Fury HD 5000. We have 2 models: one which is just a rangefinding binocular and one that has Applied Ballistics incorporated into them. Both models would be under that price point.

If yo have any questions on any of our stuff, please let me know!

Elknutty

FNG
I am a big fan of the Vortex rangefinders. I bought mine a couple years ago, knowing there were some out there with better glass, but it came down to the warranty for me. Vortex has a lifetime warranty on all of their optics including rangefinders.

That is a great budget to be working with! One option would be the Razor HD 4000 rangefinder and pair that up with a Razor HD 8x42 set of binos. For the Midwest where you are hunting that combo would do everything you need it to and more! That's my current setup for here in Wisconsin.

Another option would be looking at a set of rangefinding binoculars like the Fury HD 5000. We have 2 models: one which is just a rangefinding binocular and one that has Applied Ballistics incorporated into them. Both models would be under that price point.

If yo have any questions on any of our stuff, please let me know!
Glass in those fury’s are comparable to Viper HD glass aren’t they?

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I am a big fan of the Vortex rangefinders. I bought mine a couple years ago, knowing there were some out there with better glass, but it came down to the warranty for me. Vortex has a lifetime warranty on all of their optics including rangefinders.
Thanks for being a part of Vortex Nation!

Correct! They use the same optical system as the Viper HD.
Any plans in the future to the incorporate the Razor UHD optical system? I was all about your Binos until you guys started making them in China. I spoke to my Vortex rep a little while ago and was told thr UHDs are made in Japan. Still own several of your Japanese made scopes.