Opinions on a new backcountry rifle?

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Sure, plenty of people (Id guess the vast majority) use them and they are quite good stocks if you compare to other factory plastic stocks. But in most (all?) cases if someone had the choice between the oem plastic and a stiffer carbon fiber stock, they wouldnt choose the plastic. In this case the OP stated a $2000 budget for the bare rifle and was talking about a “build” as an option possibly stretching that budget, so I see the point made being that for well under 75% of the budget you can take a stainless tikka and put it in a very good quality aftermarket stock resulting in a gun with near-custom quality that very few people could rationally justify “upgrading” from that point at any price. Then you can put the difference into a truly reliable optic, and/or into ammo to practice.
If the base model tikka was a budget stretch to begin with, thats when Id start to question people suggesting a stock replacement. If people are on a budget I think many times the stock suggestion is often a future option, ie a “if you ever want to upgrade you have the option since there are a decent # of options for a tikka”…I think in many cases its thrown out as a possible down the road benefit rather than an immediate suggestion, even though its clearly taken as a immediate suggestion sometimes.
Yeah, I`m not at all questioning people changing out the stocks, that`s an individual call, just sort of marveling at how many appear to do so. Just me, but if I fork out a thousand bucks or so for a gun I`d like to think that I can shoot it as is, LOL!

Macintosh

WKR
@PorterM Ive never owned a swaro scope so I cant say, Im sure many people are very happy with them but they do not have a great reputation for reliability. Is a z3 4-12bt sub 16oz?
How far are you planning to shoot and how much elevatiion do you need in a scope to do that? There are several good options in the 20 oz range. If a reticle hold will work there are also a lighter options (17oz) with mil-dot reticles and capped turrets.

MHWASH

WKR
I just don't see the attraction to the 6.8 Western. Ammo availability is iffy, and bullet choices are limited. Stick with a 7mm or 6.5. The 6.8W offers nothing over the 6.5 PRC or 280AI.

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, I`m not at all questioning people changing out the stocks, that`s an individual call, just sort of marveling at how many appear to do so. Just me, but if I fork out a thousand bucks or so for a gun I`d like to think that I can shoot it as is, LOL!
You 150% can. You just happen to be looking at an abnormal concentration of people that make this sort of thing a lifestyle and are comparing to an alternative that is often multiples of that cost. Thats the point of what I said, ie “if you are wondering what to get, here’s an option that is good by itself, AND if you become nutty about this stuff in the future allows you to easily make the “next step” in modifications that you might be looking for, ie they take a variety of aftermarket stocks, they are tight-enough tolerances to easily buy prefit aftermarket barrels, etc”. The fact that they are somewhat easily turned into a semi-custom gun, and lots of people see that as a possible future benefit, does not and should not detract from what they are out of the box.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I paid $569.99 for the last stainless Tikka I bought (a few weeks ago). They are perfectly serviceable out of the box, and I shoot only factory plastic on my Tikkas at the moment. However, no company offers exactly what I want in barrel length, or stock, so I would rather buy a rifle and plan to upgrade, than buy something and be stuck with what I get.

Sako's are great rifles, I sold my 85 due to a lack of ability to customize it. While not as bad, ran into similar problems with my Kimber.

If you want a rifle to use out of the box without mods, this is what I would get: https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Hunter-65-PRC-24-Bbl-1-8-Rifle-JRS20H319.aspx

Well, the 6.5 PRC is a bit over gunned for what I want, but it fits what you want and you will probably say that rifle is too heavy. I live and hunt in Alaska. Native hunters take moose, bear, and walrus up hear with 223 bolt actions.

I primarily hunt everything in sheep/goat country because I like the mountains, I've been down the light rifle path (sub 7 pounds fully loaded and ready to shoot with a sling) and would not go back down it.

There is some fun to learning things for yourself, but it gets expensive. I would have saved a lot of money if I had just listened and started with a Tikka (but would have had a lot less fun and probably have spend the money anyway thinking I could do better).

Last edited:

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
Remington stainless Model 7 in 7-08 with added sights.
Ruger American Compact in 7-08 with added sights.
CZ 527 in 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel ( has sights already)

06 SB

FNG
@PorterM Ive never owned a swaro scope so I cant say, Im sure many people are very happy with them but they do not have a great reputation for reliability. Is a z3 4-12bt sub 16oz?
How far are you planning to shoot and how much elevatiion do you need in a scope to do that? There are several good options in the 20 oz range. If a reticle hold will work there are also a lighter options (17oz) with mil-dot reticles and capped turrets.
I have had Swarovski Z3s on my lightweight customs, a 7mm08 and a 338Fed, for many years with a lot of miles on them. Neither one has failed or had the slightest of hiccups. I have accidentally dropped them too. The capped turrets and 1” tube are limitations if you are looking at dialing. I also prefer objective bells 44mm or less for lightweight rigs. Any larger and they get in the way IMO. Finding a light and capable scope can be a challenge.

KenLee

WKR
Well, I paid $569.99 for the last stainless Tikka I bought (a few weeks ago). They are perfectly serviceable out of the box, and I shoot only factory plastic on my Tikkas at the moment. However, no company offers exactly what I want in barrel length, or stock, so I would rather buy a rifle and plan to upgrade, than buy something and be stuck with what I get.

Sako's are great rifles, I sold my 85 due to a lack of ability to customize it. While not as bad, ran into similar problems with my Tikka.

If you want a rifle to use out of the box without mods, this is what I would get: https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Hunter-65-PRC-24-Bbl-1-8-Rifle-JRS20H319.aspx

Well, the 6.5 PRC is a bit over gunned for what I want, but it fits what you want and you will probably say that rifle is too heavy. I live and hunt in Alaska. Native hunters take moose, bear, and walrus up hear with 223 bolt actions.

I primarily hunt everything in sheep/goat country because I like the mountains, I've been down the light rifle path (sub 7 pounds fully loaded and ready to shoot with a sling) and would not go back down it.

There is some fun to learning things for yourself, but it gets expensive. I would have saved a lot of money if I had just listened and started with a Tikka (but would have had a lot less fun and probably have spend the money anyway thinking I could do better).
Sheeze, I might even buy a stainless Tikka at $570.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Edited my earlier post, realized I typed Tikka when I intended to say Kimber. I've not had any problems being able to find customization for my Tikkas.

KenLee

WKR
I have had Swarovski Z3s on my lightweight customs, a 7mm08 and a 338Fed, for many years with a lot of miles on them. Neither one has failed or had the slightest of hiccups. I have accidentally dropped them too. The capped turrets and 1” tube are limitations if you are looking at dialing. I also prefer objective bells 44mm or less for lightweight rigs. Any larger and they get in the way IMO. Finding a light and capable scope can be a challenge.
I have a Z3 on BLR 300wsm. No problems but haven't used it much. Just zeroed it w 150 gr ammo cause the 180 would sling snot when it was cold. X-bolt recoil pads are spectacular. BLR pads are hockey pucks.