Opinions on a new backcountry rifle?

I am keen on the terminal ascent as a middle ground… Like @wind gypsy said, if I go 6.5prc, I probably have to go to a bonded lead bullet which is legal for now.

Don't need to go bonded. Lots of 147 ELDm and 156 berger carnage on elk if you look.

No flies on the 280AI but its more recoil than I prefer. I would look at the 145 lazer or 143 mcguire ballistics options for a mono over a LRX though. Or better yet, 162 ELD.

atmat

WKR
here's a good thought process to work through:
- what is the furthest range you're able to commit the time and $ to become proficient at?
- what is the minimum velocity for reliable upset of the bullets you're interested in using?
- what muzzle velocity is needed to achieve the minimum velocity at your maximum range with the given bullets?
- of those bullets, which one will produce the least recoil while satisfying any caliber minimums for the states you plan to hunt?
- with the bullet decided, what cartridge lets you launch that bullet at the required velocity?
- what factory rifles are available in appropriately twisted barrels for the cartridge you've identified?
-which one has the best reputation for safety and function?
-which one has the best scope mounting options?
- which scopes can actually perform the functions of an aiming device with high reliability?

or, you can skip to the end, get a tikka in 6.5 creed or 243 8 twist, top it with a SWFA, Nightforce, or Maven RS1.2, and go practice a bunch.

Buy a T3X Lite Compact 20" barrel rifle in 6.5CM ($750)
Buy a Rokstock for it ($550)
Buy UM Tikka Rings for it ($130)
Buy a Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 SHR MIL ($1,200)
Buy a bunch of Hornady 140 ELDM or 143 ELDX and go shoot it
Thread and suppress when you can

All in and ready to kill anything in North America with a proven and reliable setup for $2,600. You wont need another gun ever, just replace the barrel with a factory Tikka when you shoot it out (3,500ish factory rounds).
^^^ these right here, OP.

My elk rifle is a 6creed only because 223 isn’t legal in CO. But I still have a 223 for other states.

yfarm

WKR
270 Fieldcraft, rebarrel to 280 if you must.
Son has this rifle,loves it. I shoot a Cooper M92 in 280 and love it of course but my options are more limited in lightweight lefty rifles.

TaperPin

WKR
6.5 prc and/or 6.8 Western are essentially in the 7 Rem mag range. I doubt any animal would be able to tell which of the three it was shot with. Nothing against 280ai, but a light weight 7 mag is easy to shoot and has a little more speed.

An off the rack 7 mag with standard weight barrel, combined with a true lightweight stock in the 17 to 19 oz range is light, easy to shoot and inexpensive.

It still surprises me anytime a stock over 20 oz is considered “light weight”. Just as confusing is why people want a light rifle then top it with a 30 oz scope. Lol

A bonded 160 gr Accubond in a 7 mag will easily kill anything in the lower 48 out as far as most people can shoot. No need to take autopsy photos to try to prove it kills things - this combination is boringly reliable.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
Hey all,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m looking for input on a lightweight rifle for backcountry deer, elk, and black bear hunting in Washington and Montana. I frequently backpack in for days at a time or cover many miles in a day and so I’m looking for a sub 6lb rifle naked. My current set up is a ruger American go wild 6.5cm with a Nikon 3-12x44 (I’ve only harvested deer up to this point). I find it somewhat and poorly balanced but shoots my hand loaded ablr’s well enough. I want to expand into bigger game so looking for more umpf than the 6.5cm without getting out of control with recoil in a light rifle.

Budget is sub $2000 for the rifle and I am keen on putting the Swarovski z3 4-12 BT on top.

6.8 western seems like the ideal cartridge for the job, or fast twist 280ai. 7PRC seems like too much recoil in a sub 6lb rifle. I don’t like to use the minimum power for the job so the 6.5prc for elk seems like it works for some people but isn’t something that would be my first choice.

Options I’ve found that seem to fit the bill:
-Tikka t3x super lite in 6.5prc (somewhat concerned about .264cal on elk)
-Savage 110 ultralight 280ai (bummed about the 1:9 twist which excludes the 168g LRX)
-Browning X Bolt 280ai (nice 1:8 twist, but most are close to 7lbs)
-Kimber something in 280ai (all are 1:9 twist)
-Tikka build in 6.8 western (maybe over budget and brass availability is an issue, maybe 7saum instead?)
-weatherby mark v live wild 280ai (1:9 twist, dang!)
Seems like nothing quite fits the bill but y’all are smarter than me! What am I missing?

Also, I hand load so that opens some doors.

Thanks in advance!!

I have a 280 AI with a 1:9 twist and it is fantastic. While I get slightly lower velocities than the 7RM and 7 PRC, I get less recoil and burn less powder. When I look at the data, I don't see the need for a heavier bullet. I figured a 160g class bullet going 2850 fps from a 20” barrel will do.

Having said that, I would get a 6.8 W Browning X Bolt Mountain Pro (available under $1,400 if you are good at google) @ 6 pounds and 2oz. If you take that giant muzzle break off and replace it with a normal sized brake, you probably save an oz.

If Hornady marketed the 6.8W, it would be hotter than the 7 PRC.

Last edited:

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
^ I just bought that mesa for my next mountain gun. Topping it with the maven and running it suppressed is the plan. Unfortunately it’s in gun jail. Washington is flat dumb.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider

All in and ready to kill anything in North America with a proven and reliable setup for $2,600. You wont need another gun ever, just replace the barrel with a factory Tikka when you shoot it out (3,500ish factory rounds).
Does ANYBODY shoot a Tikka in the original factory stock? It seems like most every post will say something like, " Buy a Tikka " and then in the next breath say essentially, " gut it and drop the action and barrel in an aftermarket stock of your choice." Are Tikka factory stocks really that bad?

Macintosh

WKR
Does ANYBODY shoot a Tikka in the original factory stock? It seems like most every post will say something like, " Buy a Tikka " and then in the next breath say essentially, " gut it and drop the action and barrel in an aftermarket stock of your choice." Are Tikka factory stocks really that bad?
Sure, plenty of people (Id guess the vast majority) use them and they are quite good stocks if you compare to other factory plastic stocks. But in most (all?) cases if someone had the choice between the oem plastic and a stiffer carbon fiber stock, they wouldnt choose the plastic. In this case the OP stated a $2000 budget for the bare rifle and was talking about a “build” as an option possibly stretching that budget, so I see the point made being that for well under 75% of the budget you can take a stainless tikka and put it in a very good quality aftermarket stock resulting in a gun with near-custom quality that very few people could rationally justify “upgrading” from that point at any price. Then you can put the difference into a truly reliable optic, and/or into ammo to practice.
If the base model tikka was a budget stretch to begin with, thats when Id start to question people suggesting a stock replacement. If people are on a budget I think many times the stock suggestion is often a future option, ie a “if you ever want to upgrade you have the option since there are a decent # of options for a tikka”…I think in many cases its thrown out as a possible down the road benefit rather than an immediate suggestion, even though its clearly taken as a immediate suggestion sometimes.

Last edited:

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It’s slightly above your budget of $2000 (you can find them for around $2500), but if you can get your hands on a Cooper M92 Backcountry rifle you’d be set. The 92 stands for the ounces of the rifle, which is 5.75 pounds. They are great shooting rifles and are well made in my opinion. The only issue is that Cooper Firearms of Montana quit building rifles and is now Cooper Rifles of Arkansas, so finding the M92 can be difficult. They were offered in a wide array of calibers. I own one in 7mm STW and one in .338 Win Mag. Just throwing out another option.

I just put in motion nearly the same system. With a few mods.

I spent an extra $100 and ordered stainless T3X Lite 6.5CM
Cut and thread ~$225
UM Brake ~$150 (waiting on an AB8)
Same rings
Same scope (hopefully, if they restock in the next 6 weeks)
Rattle can the stock and use it this year, but will buy a Rokstock if they come up with a shorter model or stockys (when?) they release their shorter LOP models. Only using it moose hunting this year and the shot will probably be within 50 yds, so I have time to wait for upgrade here.

Approx $2500. It will kill my wife’s moose this fall. Then probably be moose hunting every year for the foreseeable future in my kid’s hands. It will be their set up for black tails to brown bears the next decade or more.

TaperPin

WKR
We spell correctly as well; brains and brawn with no wasted ammunition.
You think using dictionary spellings makes you smart? That in itself shows otherwise. Junior high humor is quite a low bar.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to have you young guys here - most of what I write is with a grin on my face because of the young minds hard at work.

Last edited:
OP
P

PorterM

FNG
Seekins PH2
7lbs unfortunately

I have a 280 AI with a 1:9 twist and it is fantastic. While I get slightly lower velocities than the 7RM and 7 PRC, I get less recoil and burn less powder. When I look at the data, I don't see the need for a heavier bullet. I figured a 160g class bullet going 2850 fps from a 20” barrel will do.

Having said that, I would get a 6.8 W Browning X Bolt Mountain Pro (available under $1,400 if you are good at google) @ 6 pounds and 2oz. If you take that giant muzzle break off and replace it with a normal sized brake, you probably save an oz.
This is very helpful! Thank you, now looking around for an x bolt pro in 6.8 or 280ai, seems like the goldilocks that I was missing!

OP
P

PorterM

FNG
Then you can put the difference into a truly reliable optic, and/or into ammo to practice.
Just curious, are you implying that the swarovski z3 is not reliable? From what I read it seems they’re more reliable than Leupold in the sub 16oz category. Swfa or trijicon seem to be the only other two options, seems like people prefer swfa? Which model? Seems most have obnoxiously large turrets.