opinion for hunting tacoma or 4runner (already have a big truck)

Car7x

WKR
I've had 2 each Tacomas and 4 Runners. Current hunting / fishing rig is a 2007, 4th gen, 4rnr. I have a Rav4 sport v6 for a DD, and an AWD Express Van for hiway fishing or upland trips. The 4th Gen is a V8, FT 4wd, with a towing capacity of 7k, I believe. You know you have something on back there, but it gets up the hills. 4th gen is the same basic platform as that era Landcruiser sold overseas - the Prado - so it's built.

Good mileage for the work you can do, and you could sleep in the back. More comfy down the road than the Tacoma, and I don't know why it would not be as capable offroad...To be clear, I am usually hunting a long, long way from home or help and drive very conservatively in the bush - I want to get home.

I like the 4rnr because I fish a lot and with the roll down rear window I can easily hang up my 9' fly rods assembled inside along the ceiling. I can cartop my 13' 3 man fishing raft. I use a cargo carrier on the receiver hitch for smelly or bloody stuff when I'm running it big game hunting. I guess if I already had a full size truck I'd look hard at the 4rnr, certainly over any domestic SUV - sorry, just spoiled by Toyota reliability when it comes to this vehicle niche.

Next time around, I'm going down to 1 rig - currently thinking I'd look for a 2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost, and outfit it with this:

1) Truck when needed
2) As a DD would get same mileage as my little Rav4 V6 (I knew the Sport MPG going in, but 23 mpg was worth it for the fun to drive factor).
3) Even more capable off road camper, obviously, than my heavy AWD van.

You might consider this option for your current pickup and end up with a compromise, best of both worlds, setup. Only pickup/camper I've seen that I would buy, as you don't give up full utility of the box.

Alchemy

WKR
I have a 12’ F350 4x4 SRW LB, great truck for what it is and needed for my occupation but it sure is not much fun to turn around. I can throw my xr650 dual sport in the bed and hunt spots back in deep. I had a 2001 hand me down 4Runner limited that was my sisters college vehicle. I got it with 110k miles. I put shrockworks bumpers, a warm 9k winch, small lift and 33” BFG’s. I sold it for $6000 with 180k miles on it and never had done anything to it but change the oil/filter. What an idiot I am, I sooo wish I still had it. It was great to day hunt out of with 1 buddy or solo hunt and I would sleep in the back. I had a nice aluminum hitch hauler and if I had it now I would buy a nice Thule topper and roof rack combo for more gear storage. With the back seats, rear cargo area, a topper, cargo rack that’s all the storage you would ever want. Plus it’s dry and safe. I have my eye out for one to start another project but my wife is really wanting a weekend cruiser and wants and older bronco, scout II, or FJ60 land cruiser. I like the classics but man the comforts of that 4 runner limited trim was pretty nice!!!! Plus those 70’s bronco and scouts have gotten pricey for even a decent running mildly restored unit. Anybody have any experience with the FJ60’s? They seem like a good mix of classic and somewhat modern amenities

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a 2017 Tacoma double cab V6 4x4. The power is shit. My friends Prius pulls harder and is smoother in shifting than my truck. If I hit a steady grade in my truck, it’s constantly searching for gears.

Nothing and nobody knows better than I do when I want or need to shift gears. That's why I won't own an automatic. I can't even imagine a Toyota 4x4 with an automatic.

I have my eye out for one to start another project but my wife is really wanting a weekend cruiser and wants and older bronco, scout II, or FJ60 land cruiser. I like the classics but man the comforts of that 4 runner limited trim was pretty nice!!!! Plus those 70’s bronco and scouts have gotten pricey for even a decent running mildly restored unit. Anybody have any experience with the FJ60’s? They seem like a good mix of classic and somewhat modern amenities
[/QUOTE]

Man I think the 60s are a little old school maybe even carburetor.
Look into the FJ80 straight 6, straight axles. More of a mid size width.
And there is some "holly grail" 91-94? With center diff lock and double axle lockers.

I have my big crew cab cummins and its great for work and hauling the family. That said I almost always leave town in my 4runner thats setup for running the hills and hunting.

Wrench

WKR
I have my eye out for one to start another project but my wife is really wanting a weekend cruiser and wants and older bronco, scout II, or FJ60 land cruiser. I like the classics but man the comforts of that 4 runner limited trim was pretty nice!!!! Plus those 70’s bronco and scouts have gotten pricey for even a decent running mildly restored unit. Anybody have any experience with the FJ60’s? They seem like a good mix of classic and somewhat modern amenities

Man I think the 60s are a little old school maybe even carburetor.
Look into the FJ80 straight 6, straight axles. More of a mid size width.
And there is some "holly grail" 91-94? With center diff lock and double axle lockers.
[/QUOTE]

I have the 80 with triple lockers. It's unstoppable as long as the tires touch the ground....but it's hell on fuel.

If you look at the rez rigs around here they all have a 4 door taco beat to shit. Those dudes kill heaps of critters and are the beta testers. I've seen 3 big bulls stuffed in s short bed taco.

WRO

WKR
Nothing and nobody knows better than I do when I want or need to shift gears. That's why I won't own an automatic. I can't even imagine a Toyota 4x4 with an automatic.
I've got a 16 dclb auto that works just fine, it just has to learn how you drive.

I took it to AZ last years elk hunting with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
After running two late 90's 4runners, my current 2008 Tacoma, and a 2002 Hilux Surf (RH drive Japanese market diesel 4runner) i would drop the diesel Surf driveline into a LH drive mid 2000's 4runner and be done.

That diesel drive train coupled with the gearing made that rig unstoppable in any conditions. Except for my wife driving it. She done killed it dead when she slammed it into the ditch on black ice.

As for old school, my wife now has a 1961 scout on a 1980 Bronco chassis that is her pride and joy. 302's suck, but parts are everywhere and you can fix the rig with bailing wire and bubblegum.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know a lot of guys have their transmissions remapped in the new Tacos to fix the shift points

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I'd rather have a truck bed with a camper shell than a 4runner for hunting/camping. I'm not sure why you really need another truck though. It does get in and out of tighter spots for sure, but that seems like a small inconvenience to the cost of buying/having another vehicle. That'll pay for more hunting.

So from what I can tell you want new or newer.
You should really get a membership on Tacoma world if your thinking about a 2016 or newer Taco.
They seem to be really love or hate and not as reliable as the older ones. Maybe it just that people with bad experiences are the ones that talk.
They also seem under powered and in 18 or 19 they put something on called tss and it a bunch of electrical safety garbage they seem to have problems with.
I believe the 4runner has a much more vetted and powerful engine. If it was me I think I'd look for a lo mile 12-15 taco.
Or better yet the 4runner and a 10ft Trailer.
I think 4 runners are great.
But without a trailer idk how I'd want to get a smelly tick infested critter home.

I'd be careful about the opinions on TW. It can definitely be a great resource, but there are a bunch of people that just have unrealistic expectations of the Tacoma. I use the same handle over there.

The newer models feel like they have less low end grunt because of the throttle mapping, but they have more power, tow more, and are faster. Overall the newer ones are a nicer truck..... That's from the point of someone who drives one daily.

The only problem with buying a used one is that they aren't a good deal. People want too much for a used one. Which is partly how I bought this one. I'm a Chevy guy, but liked the Tacoma better than the Colorado... I wasn't sure I was going to want to stick with a mid sized truck, but figured that the resale is so stupid good, I'd just sell and go full size if I wanted.

I've got 72k on my 16 and it's been a pretty good truck. I'd buy it again.... Maybe in Offroad Trim instead of the SR5.20190328_190149.jpg

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got a 16 dclb auto that works just fine, it just has to learn how you drive.

I don't think there's an auto out there that can learn that I use a clutch and a shift lever......that's how I drive.

I had a 2000 F-350 with the auto that was "supposed to learn" how I drove. I've never hated a vehicle so much as that thing. It never could figure out how I drove, or how I wanted it to shift. I always find myself using the shift lever regardless even with an auto, especially when I want to slow down. Couldn't wait to get rid of it and pick one up with a manual. Love the manual.

WRO

WKR
I don't think there's an auto out there that can learn that I use a clutch and a shift lever......that's how I drive.

I had a 2000 F-350 with the auto that was "supposed to learn" how I drove. I've never hated a vehicle so much as that thing. It never could figure out how I drove, or how I wanted it to shift. I always find myself using the shift lever regardless even with an auto, especially when I want to slow down. Couldn't wait to get rid of it and pick one up with a manual. Love the manual.
I'd agree, but mine got significantly better after 3 months..

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
Tbh, if I were him I'd go with a small car or Subaru or something, instead of something with just as bad of gas mileage. Subies can get almost anywhere and will approach 30mpg. The money he saves on the rig and gas will allow him to hunt more.
i know where you are coming from, the milage is an issue but,,,i thought of that and i disagree subies can get almost everywhere. i know the type of places i am going, many of which i used to do with an atv. the capabilities of a 4runner i think are far superior to a awd subie. i mean, i could be wrong. but i dont' know of a smaller rig that has what the 4runner has and get's better milage.

S.Clancy

WKR
i know where you are coming from, the milage is an issue but,,,i thought of that and i disagree subies can get almost everywhere. i know the type of places i am going, many of which i used to do with an atv. the capabilities of a 4runner i think are far superior to a awd subie. i mean, i could be wrong. but i dont' know of a smaller rig that has what the 4runner has and get's better milage.
What about a UTV? I dont know what mileage they get, but if you're gonna trailer it why not. You can even get em with 4 seats.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
What about a UTV? I dont know what mileage they get, but if you're gonna trailer it why not. You can even get em with 4 seats.
i briefly thought about it but they are not much different than an atv plus anymore they are more expensive than a car. on top of which, i believe i am too well mannered to operate one

but one reason i want to get away from my atv (or a utv) is comfort and dust. 55 now, seems like breathing dust just bothers me more than it used to.

The grass is always greener.

I went the other way. I had and use a 96 4runner almost daily and for local hunting. Bought a 2002 350 7.3 manual dually and put a cheap old truck camper on it for longer trips and for the family.

I like them both, but if I'm out more than a day, its the 350.

Ray

WKR
The first time I loaded my '93 pickup with camping gear and two caribou, I found out just how small it was. Once I had the 2006 taco I decided to always pull my ATV in a high ground clearance utility trailer. I could bag/tarp the meat and leave it in the utility trailer out of the dust and rain.
The '93 will eventually be SASed and lifted to be used for a moose buggy and general messing about off road rig.

WRO

WKR
i briefly thought about it but they are not much different than an atv plus anymore they are more expensive than a car. on top of which, i believe i am too well mannered to operate one

but one reason i want to get away from my atv (or a utv) is comfort and dust. 55 now, seems like breathing dust just bothers me more than it used to.
A well set up Tacoma will go almost anywhere a utv will, except it'll have ac, a heater, and will cost about the same